• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 2: Ireland vs Italy (10/02/2018)

That bench will run rampant.

Didn't see the press conference but there was word earlier in the week that Dillane had a bereavement in the family.

Anyone know if Schmidt said anything about Ryan? I'm not overly worried because young second rows tend to get injured quite often but would wanna know if it's injury or rest that keeps him out.

That bench will run rampant.

Didn't see the press conference but there was word earlier in the week that Dillane had a bereavement in the family.

Anyone know if Schmidt said anything about Ryan? I'm not overly worried because young second rows tend to get injured quite often but would wanna know if it's injury or rest that keeps him out.

Small groin issue.

Slightly off topic, but is there any concern about Henderson's jumping? I know it's hardly a weak area for Ireland, but just curious if there's been any discussion of it or if it plays into back row selections.

Slightly off topic, but is there any concern about Henderson's jumping? I know it's hardly a weak area for Ireland, but just curious if there's been any discussion of it or if it plays into back row selections.
No, he called the lineout v England last year successfully. The problem is that we need a backrow who is an option at lineout time, the options in descending order of lineout ability are POM, Ruddock, Heaslip and, at a stretch, Jordi Murphy. Ruddock was in a bit of a tug of war in the Autumn with POM but was unconvincing after being given his opportunity, now he's injured. Heaslip is injured also. If we had all our backrow options fit and firing I think PO'M would drop to the bench behind CJ, SOB and Heaslip.

Ruddock was unconvincing?

Disappointing that McKinley didn't make the Italian 23.

Expect us to attack Boni's channel a lot.

Cheers, wasn't aware he's called the line out, just had a (false?) perception that he rarely jumps.

Incredible how many quality backrowers there are behind the 4 you mentioned!

Italy

Italy: 15 Matteo Minozzi, 14 Tommaso Benvenuti, 13 Tommaso Boni, 12 Tommaso Castello, 11 Mattia Bellini, 10 Tommaso Allan, 9 Marcello Violi, 8 Sergio Parisse, 7 Braam Steyn, 6 Sebastien Negri, 5 Dean Budd, 4 Alessandro Zanni, 3 Simone Ferrari, 2 Luca Bigi, 1 Nicola Quaglio

Replacements: 16 Leonardo Ghiraldini, 17 Andrea Lovotti, 18 Tiziano Pasquali, 19 Federico Ruzza, 20 Maxime Mata Mbanda, 21 Edoardo Gori, 22 Carlo Canna, 23 Jayden Hayward

Delighted offensively with them last week but the new defensive coach will need time to make his mark. Unfortunately the 6N is the arena to give a lot of practice in that regard.

Notable that Ireland haven't looked all that slick against Fiji or France (wet conditions) but I just can't entertain the notion of even a losing BP.

I'll settle for:

- another solid game for Allan
- the same level of ambition as in the first fixture
- Minozzi doing well aerially to further put those concerns about his height to bed.
- some solidity at set piece
- finishing no weaker than the play of the first 60mins
- losing by less than 20

But...
Ireland by 33

Cheers, wasn't aware he's called the line out, just had a (false?) perception that he rarely jumps.

Incredible how many quality backrowers there are behind the 4 you mentioned!
image Lineout.jpg

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/ru...lineout-figures-not-the-whole-story-1.3383718

Not the most interesting article but its where I got the graphic, POM is obviously the main target but Hendy is the scondary target. The article does provide data that proves that the ball PO'M is receiving appears to be of lower quality than what we got off Hendy, Stander or Ryan by virtue of being a very good option at the front to secure possession. The lineout is our weakest set piece after the scrum and restarts in my opinon, it cost us badly in Cardiff and Edinburgh last year if memory serves me right!

No, he called the lineout v England last year successfully. The problem is that we need a backrow who is an option at lineout time, the options in descending order of lineout ability are POM, Ruddock, Heaslip and, at a stretch, Jordi Murphy. Ruddock was in a bit of a tug of war in the Autumn with POM but was unconvincing after being given his opportunity, now he's injured. Heaslip is injured also. If we had all our backrow options fit and firing I think PO'M would drop to the bench behind CJ, SOB and Heaslip.

Nah, statistically speaking Ireland had the worst lineout in the Six Nations before POM replaced Heaslip in the England game last year, I doubt he's going anywhere.

Nah, statistically speaking Ireland had the worst lineout in the Six Nations before POM replaced Heaslip in the England game last year, I doubt he's going anywhere.
Fully agreed and statistically it was alot worst both offensively and defensively.
When all is fit CJ, POM and SOB is 1st choice. There no actual proof of thinking elsewhere.
At 6 nobody has dislodged POM. Like Ruddock Leavy VDF to suggest that he 1st choice. Same for SOB at 7.CJ at 8 you may say if Heaslip is fit. But fact is Heaslip is in semi retirement mode and has a long fight to even get back in Leinster team even at his age. In the mean time Stander has went to be a lion.
If anyone breaks in to that 3 I think it will only be Leavy. Like I know Ruddock is a good player and I rate him but he's never ousted POM on his top form.

If all of our back row was available, I do suspect that O'Mahony might lose out to Jamie Heaslip, but I don't think it would be a wise call. He's a better option in the lineout, and otherwise typically gets through a lot of the same invisible breakdown work that Heaslip is known for. He's also more likely to be in peak physical condition for Japan in 2019. Unless Heaslip's provincial form was notably above O'Mahony's, it would be a mistake to drop POM to the bench. If O'Mahony hadn't replaced Heaslip in the final match of last year's Six Nations, England probably would have won the Grand Slam.

O'Mahony's form is pretty good at the moment too. I've seen people saying he had a quiet game last week, but he put in a huge amount of work around the breakdown in a game where Ireland had to constantly scrap for decent ball. If you look back on that famous final five minutes, apart from Sexton and Murray he seemed to make more positive contributions to that play than anyone else.

But in the now. Heaslip is far from being back playing. And then has to regain form etc.
That England game last year showed how unbalanced our backrow was before as in CJ/SOB/OH.
Heaslip may have ousted POM if fit but that is a IF.
On POM quiet game last week I think Murray Kinsella smashed that myth down fairly well

Why are no questions asked about Lamour's relative inexperience or defensive abilities when he gets picked ahead of ToH? :p

A lovely problem for Ireland to have as I think there is still some life left in Rob Kearney too.

Why are no questions asked about Lamour's relative inexperience or defensive abilities when he gets picked ahead of ToH? :p

A lovely problem for Ireland to have as I think there is still some life left in Rob Kearney too.
Well it has been mentioned and noted. When Larmour played Munster at Christmas he was superb with ball in hand but very poor positionally that day like AIL standard. But I'm sure that was a mixture of many reasons. He will gain that through games too. But he is good and will gain that bit of knowledge needed only by playing.
I think it's universally accepted TOH and Schmidt don't get on or are fans of eachother. And this was made clear by comments TOH made in reference to a Vodafone advert recently.

FWIW. I don't think we will learn anything new or major today and win by 40points

Last edited:

I think you champion TOH more than most Connacht fans these days Bruce! :p I've heard complaints that he drifts in and out of games far too much even in attack while he gets exposed in defence far too much while also missing tackles. The problem for Connacht players is that the style of rugby they play is far different from the rest of the provinces and its harder for them to work on the areas of the game Schmidt wants them to improve whereas you can see with Larmour and Porter that even in the past 8 weeks they both look far more assured in the more structured area of the game.

There's also no denying that Rob needs competition, it looked like it'd be Zebo but he could never quite break in falling short of being adequate defensively because he was far too prone to massive blunders like gifting the ball to France in our own 22 last 6 nations when it should have been an easy ball for an international 15 to deal with, he then proved to be too immature and ill-disciplined to work on the areas of his game that his coach wanted him too. TOH had his opportunities but obviously didn't impress without the ball like Gilroy last year. Conway appears to be Schmidt's favourite after Conway but when there's talent like Larmour available, and the two ahead of him haven't got great injury profiles, he must be used. As things stand I can't see Kearney getting ousted before the RWC, especially as I've seen Carbery at 12 being mentioned elsewhere and if we're giving up a solid defensive midfield in Henshaw + Aki/Ringrose we don't want to expose ourselves further by providing the opposition with a backfield to kick into and find grass. Larmour, Stockdale and Conway will be battling for one wing spot and the 23 jersey if that happens and if we're in a position in 2019 where we could conceivably leave Ringrose out of a full strength 23 I'd be delighted. Edit: Actually he'd be no. 22 we wouldn't need a replacement 10!

Joe has spoken about how happy he is with Larmour's off the ball work, something that is massive for him.

Also Larmour is in his first camp at the age of 20 and demanding inclusion. O'Hallorn is 27 at the end of the month, has been in a number of camps and never broken in. Clearly there are aspects where he's just not doing what's required.

Don't think it will make a difference as Ireland don't look like a team who will rattle the RWC19.

Just hope the Munster lads last until European QF. 40mins for Earls and POM will be perfect here. Murray off earlier if possible.

Latest posts