• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Six Nations 2018] Round 2: England vs Wales (10/02/2018)

Englands back row is a mess. Theyre not a great side. They have some world class in the second row and real class at 10,12, on the wing ...elsewhere not a truly great side but in fairness they keep on winning

You play to the referee. Unlucky

Yup fully agree. It was simply a response to ncurd etc. who were moaning that the ref missed Wales' constant infringements.

I'm also fully aware that this criticism has been labelled at Wales plenty of times in the past, with Shaun Edwards' defense based on getting off the line quickly, and pushing the offside line....

I didn't see any issues with May's grounding. Two legitimate very well worked tries. England took their only two chances and Wales didn't take their three or four chances (or were stopped by excellent tackles)

Once again, I did think Anscombe's try should have been given, but it's not like it happened in the last minute to deny us a win. We had lots of time to score other tries but couldn't.

Well played England, I think they deserved it overall. But plenty of positives for Wales too and we now have a must win game in Ireland to look forward to

Yup fully agree. It was simply a response to ncurd etc. who were moaning that the ref missed Wales' constant infringements.

I'm also fully aware that this criticism has been labelled at Wales plenty of times in the past, with Shaun Edwards' defense based on getting off the line quickly, and pushing the offside line....

Of course, you push it as close as you can get away with. Rugby is a game of intelligence and nouce. The team that adapts to the conditions better win. Those conditions can be the weather, officials interpretation of the law, yellow cards, state of pitch and how the opposition are playing.

World rugby say it was a try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43046791

Sorry but that's ridiculous, the footage of the knock of beforehand is clear... I agree the TMO made a mistake (2 actually) but it still wasn't a try.

I'm sure that the knock on wasn't even taken into account in the above conversation. Rob Howley asked if it was grounded, they admitted they got that decision wrong. Haven't even touched on the knock on, but why would Rob Howley admit to that.

I don't know btw :)

World rugby say it was a try: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/43046791

Sorry but that's ridiculous, the footage of the knock of beforehand is clear... I agree the TMO made a mistake (2 actually) but it still wasn't a try.

Based on the footage available at the time, the TMO made the wrong decision, end of. The super slow mo of the twitching finger which indicates a knock on wasn't available, and thus the only conclusion the TMO should have come to was a try.

Still, as most have said it wasn't the reason we lost; but from a Welsh perspective I would have certainly preferred the 5 points, with the chance of another 2 + the confidence boost it would have brought than the 3 points from the penalty. Games often turn on moments like this, and this time England lucked out.

I can understand a referee making a mistake with a split second to make a decision based on maybe not always the perfect view, but there's no excuse for the TMO when in reality it was pretty clear-cut! Not just this decision either, there's been some other howlers by TMO's both at international and domestic level, with no excuse.

TBH I'm disappointed in World Rugby here and its not the first time theyve chucked a offcial under the bus.

My admittedly biased verdict was not clear on what we saw thus on a try yes or no question it was no try. I don't think this was a howler he got wrong even if he did get the grounding wrong.

I'd rather they went after Gatland for immediately calling officiating rubbishnafter the match.

Regardless of whether or not the decision was correct, it sets a really shitty precedent for WR to say anything about this just because a coach moaned after the game. You can't reward that kind of thing.

Having said that, the extent of the actual verified facts about what was said falls wasaaaay short of the "World Rugby say it was 100% a try!!!!" that's being reported. Basically Rob Howley had a meeting, where Rob Howley says an unnamed official told Rob Howley that a mistake (unspecified) was made.

Doesn't this make WR look much worse for now stating it was a try when we all now know it shouldn't ever have been?
I understand of course that it's as much about the process and reasons for the decision but still it seems to stupid of them to make a statement on this. Will they now do it every single time a major decision is 'wrong'?

Why is the world so stupid

TBH I'm disappointed in World Rugby here and its not the first time theyve chucked a offcial under the bus.

My admittedly biased verdict was not clear on what we saw thus on a try yes or no question it was no try. I don't think this was a howler he got wrong even if he did get the grounding wrong.

I'd rather they went after Gatland for immediately calling officiating rubbishnafter the match.
And Anscombe screaming at the touch judge after clearly being bundled into touch. Didn't like seeing that.

Having said that, the extent of the actual verified facts about what was said falls wasaaaay short of the "World Rugby say it was 100% a try!!!!" that's being reported. Basically Rob Howley had a meeting, where Rob Howley says an unnamed official told Rob Howley that a mistake (unspecified) was made.

Rob Howley is badly in the wrong here.

Should never have stated it publically.

Unless of course, he was completely happy with SOB calling him a **** coach when questioned about what could be done better after the Lions tour?

Latest posts