• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Should the Pumas stay in the RC, for the next seasons. Yes or No? Argue

Even at home Argentina won't lose 0.01 points if they lose by a landslide to either of NZ or SA. Argentina are 9.25 ranking points below Aus which means there is just about nothing for them to lose ITO ranking points so, no, they won't drop further down due to competing in the RC. They have everything to gain though and add some much needed flavor and an extra sub plot to the RC which makes it a more enjoyable competition to follow.

As for joining SR, I think step 1 is fr more Arg players to join the less competitive teams like the Lions, Rebels and Force. Would the ARU be able to add an 'incentive'? Or later on sponsor a SR provincial franchise/club? Maybe the route to go would be to allow for privately owned clubs or do Arg not have 'wealthy playboys'?

The problem facing Argentina is the conflicting schedule of NH club season with the RC, the NH job market for their players is consequently shrinking and NH clubs will hire only the proven and the very best but won't take any risk with a promising young player who could be called for Argentina one year later and miss half the following seasons of his contract.

... which is really a roundabout way of saying that the European Domestic season (especially in France, runs for far too long. How can any international competition be fit in on a non-interference basis when the domestic seasons run for 10 months of a 12 month year, and with players required to take two months breaks?

IMO, the iRB need to act, through their Unions, to limit domestic seasons to no more than six months. Domestic competition organisers would need to design their competitions to fit within that timeframe. That could mean larger squads and regular midweek matches, or ditch the home-away nature of the leagues.

The NZRU manages to fit the entire ITM Cup into 12 weeks (<3 months) and SANZAR fits Super rugby into 19 weeks (<5 months). If they can do it, then why can't the LNR and PRL do something similar.

The NZRU manages to fit the entire ITM Cup into 12 weeks (<3 months) and SANZAR fits Super rugby into 19 weeks (<5 months). If they can do it, then why can't the LNR and PRL do something similar.
Because the NZRU support a few dozen professional rugby player contracts while PRL and LNR support more than a thousand players jobs which cannot be financed by a 6 months competition.

Because the NZRU support a few dozen professional rugby player contracts while PRL and LNR support more than a thousand players jobs which cannot be financed by a 6 months competition.

NFL finances players and coaches multi-million dollar salaries and multi-million dollar dividends for owners, all on the back of a competition that runs for only 4 or 5 pre-season games, only 16 regular season games and only four play-off games. That is a total of 24 or 25 weeks (5½ months) including the pre-season.

Their rosters and pro-footballers lists are much longer than any rugby competition. 32 teams each with a maximum 53 strong player roster means almost 1,700 pro-footballers to support, and that doesn't even count the extra players on the roster during pre season (32 teams times 37 players = 1184)

How do they do it?

Well, one of the reasons is higher ticket prices. Short seasons mean well rested players and a quality product to sell to the public. Doing what rugby does, making a product available readily, means its cheap. If you make a product that is in short supply, you can demand a higher price for it.

Shorten the season to half many matches, you'll have better rested players, with less injuries. That means teams can have smaller rosters, and they do not have to rotate their squad so much to get through the demands of a long season. You put a better product on the park, with better quality rugby, and its in shorter supply, so you can demand a higher price at the turnstiles.

NFL finances players and coaches multi-million dollar salaries and multi-million dollar dividends for owners, all on the back of a competition that runs for only 4 or 5 pre-season games, only 16 regular season games and only four play-off games. That is a total of 24 or 25 weeks (5½ months) including the pre-season.

Their rosters and pro-footballers lists are much longer than any rugby competition. 32 teams each with a maximum 53 strong player roster means almost 1,700 pro-footballers to support, and that doesn't even count the extra players on the roster during pre season (32 teams times 37 players = 1184)

How do they do it?

Well, one of the reasons is higher ticket prices. Short seasons mean well rested players and a quality product to sell to the public. Doing what rugby does, making a product available readily, means its cheap. If you make a product that is in short supply, you can demand a higher price for it.

Shorten the season to half many matches, you'll have better rested players, with less injuries. That means teams can have smaller rosters, and they do not have to rotate their squad so much to get through the demands of a long season. You put a better product on the park, with better quality rugby, and its in shorter supply, so you can demand a higher price at the turnstiles.

I think like you, fewer games, fewer injuries, better rugby. That's why sometimes I don't understand why the people say that ARU should have a strong national league. Maybe for them is beneficial the current system. Without a local tournament, just Super Rugby only if they are well organized, they could use this to their advantage.

Last edited:
I think like you, fewer games, fewer injuries, better rugby. That's why sometimes I don't understand why the people say that ARU should have a strong national league. Maybe for them is beneficial the current system. Without a local tournament, just Super Rugby only if they are well organized, they could use this to their advantage.

Oh dear. I know we established this long ago but you really are clueless.

Oh dear. I know we established this long ago but you really are clueless.

Yesterday I spoke with Phelan, he sends many greetings for youuuuuuuuu:

Juan Imhoff, Gonzalo Camacho and Nicolas Sanchez also!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pumas must stay so they can get more money into their grass roots levels and build the player base within Argentina.
They have almost come up with an upset each year. I hope they stick it out. Its great for them and good for the big 3 southern hemisphere heavyweights.

It will take the pumas some time for them to get to top level. They have a lot of raw talent and are building a pool of immense talent. The unfortunate issue is in Argentina they still have like some provincial issues of who is better or stronger either from the North or the South. Then they cant harness the mass to play more rugby because it is very expensive to join a club. They still hold it up to the affluent social sector and it causes a lot of under privileged kids not to even try to join or even attempt to play. I feel also the UAR should start converting the top amateur clubs or at least the first division into professionals but it seems they are not releasing the monies that was donated to them by SANZAR.

They should stay and its good for marketing. Im sure the teams appreciate going to Argentina and eating quality beef and bbq!

They should stay and its good for marketing. Im sure the teams appreciate going to Argentina and eating quality beef and bbq!

Wait a minute! Lets forget rugby, I want a showdown between SA and Argentina where it matters most; in the quality beef and pretty girls departments. Add good rugby and you need nothing more.

Wait a minute! Lets forget rugby, I want a showdown between SA and Argentina where it matters most; in the quality beef and pretty girls departments. Add good rugby and you need nothing more.

AND wine. I'm pretty sure Argentina beats you with the girls, and I would expect the wine and meat but I may be talking absolute shhit.

Argentina win the beef hands down, both countries have attractive women but the sexy brunette Argentine/south American salsa style might tip the scale for them and in wine, South Africa would win red the hands the white I'm not sure about but probably the white as well.

So you know nothing about Australian Rugby? We have a massive gap between out state based comps to Super Rugby. A national competition is needed and preyed for by any lover of Australian Rugby otherwise we may not be around for much longer. The fact the ARU dumped the old ARC after 1 season was a joke and a pathetic attempt by them to help a bottom line not to help Rugby in this country. Hopefully they are more patient this time. The more strong nations the better.

Oh to reply yes the Pumas should be in the RC. They should also have a team in SR (though have no idea how). Maybe allow all SR teams to sign Argies.

So you know nothing about Australian Rugby? We have a massive gap between out state based comps to Super Rugby. A national competition is needed and preyed for by any lover of Australian Rugby otherwise we may not be around for much longer. The fact the ARU dumped the old ARC after 1 season was a joke and a pathetic attempt by them to help a bottom line not to help Rugby in this country. Hopefully they are more patient this time. The more strong nations the better.

Oh to reply yes the Pumas should be in the RC. They should also have a team in SR (though have no idea how). Maybe allow all SR teams to sign Argies.

I see Aussie has plans to try again with a pro tier 2 domestic league. Best of luck. I am also of the opinion that the more teams we have able to push for no.1 the better.

As for Argentine players, I think we'll see more and more guys come in although their top players will continue to play in Europe simply because of the cash incentive. The Stormers have signed an Argentine lock for 2014. We've had their hooker Guinazu on board 2 years ago as well though he didn't get game time. Last year the Kings had Nicolas Vergallo at 9. I think Aus, and in particular the Western Force, need to seriously consider getting some top Argie players in.

I see Aussie has plans to try again with a pro tier 2 domestic league. Best of luck. I am also of the opinion that the more teams we have able to push for no.1 the better.

As for Argentine players, I think we'll see more and more guys come in although their top players will continue to play in Europe simply because of the cash incentive. The Stormers have signed an Argentine lock for 2014. We've had their hooker Guinazu on board 2 years ago as well though he didn't get game time. Last year the Kings had Nicolas Vergallo at 9. I think Aus, and in particular the Western Force, need to seriously consider getting some top Argie players in.

I just hope the ARU are patient and get it right. We cant afford another short sighted decision.

The rules for SR and RC should be that you can sign any player from any country in the RC to a SR club. That will allow allot more players from the Argies to play professionally in a competition that wouldnt effect the rc.

I just hope the ARU are patient and get it right. We cant afford another short sighted decision.

The rules for SR and RC should be that you can sign any player from any country in the RC to a SR club. That will allow allot more players from the Argies to play professionally in a competition that wouldnt effect the rc.

I tend to agree, yeah.

To be honest this would probably make it harder for Argentine players to get contracts. If NZ players knew they could make the All Blacks whilst not playing for an NZ team they would be far more willing to leave the country. More NZ players would be playing Super Rugby, decreasing the number of positions available for Argentinians.

Latest posts