Sexton vs Trinh-Duc

Sexton or Trinh-Duc

• Sexton

Votes: 25 55.6%
  • Trinh-Duc

Votes: 20 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Have you guys not seen Johnny 10's second name? Seriously, a tonne of sex. If that doesn't clinch it I don't know what will.

Anywhoo, he's my favourite player, love the guy to bits. I like Trinh Duc, but Sexman will always get my vote.

I'm actually reading what is written by other people.
Ahhh excellent a pedant, I love these chats. Care to find the linky for that sexton defense quote then. Shouldnt be a problem for you.

As for the voting patterns, welcome to the internets, which are very very different to the real world where you and west midlands guy reside.

I don't rate TD very highly. He is not consistant and I have not seen him kick the ball much.

Ahhh excellent a pedant, I love these chats. Care to find the linky for that sexton defense quote then. Shouldnt be a problem for you.

As for the voting patterns, welcome to the internets, which are very very different to the real world where you and west midlands guy reside.

A pedant ? Strong argumentation. No worries as soon as I find the topic about Sexton's defense I'll put the link. But until then, please keep your condescension in your pocket, you don't have to vomit it in the face of people who dare to criticize your local hero.

A pedant ? Strong argumentation. No worries as soon as I find the topic about Sexton's defense I'll put the link. But until then, please keep your condescension in your pocket, you don't have to vomit it in the face of people who dare to criticize your local hero.
I've no problem with anyone criticising anyone, once they back it up with some kind of facts. Ive openly said I dont see much between them. I'm a real fan of Trinh-duc and obviously of Sexton. Ive seen quite a bit of both of them this year.

You on the other hand, while admitting you cant be objective, point to Sextons weak defense (which is laughable) as was referenced and apparently seen by a member of munsterfans, and believe that the opinion of a guy sitting beside you is representative of the voting habits of this forum. Have you seen Sexton play? Have you watched the Heineken cup this year?

If you want to argue, lets argue, but at least base your arguments on a reality that can be referenced by others.

Sextons weak defense (which is laughable)

Not my fight but in addition to being the better passer, attacker and linker, Trinh-duc is also certainly the better defender.

Sexton has the better goalkicking. Aside from that the Frenchman is better and in some areas, like defence, noticable better.

BTW this try was a gem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not my fight but in addition to being the better passer, attacker and linker, Trinh-duc is also certainly the better defender.

Sexton has the better goalkicking. Aside from that the Frenchman is better and in some areas, like defence, noticable better.

BTW this try was a gem.

Which backline at their best is more effective Irelands or France? Probably even. Who runs the French backline? Morgan Parra or Dimitri Yachvili do. Johnny Sexton scored 27 points in a HCup final against a very strong saints side. Something T-D couldn't do even if he could kick. Johnny Sexton ran the best backline in Europe this year, he did it with a past it Gorden D'Arcy outside him. Just because Sexton looks somewhat uncomfortable on the ball doesn't mean he is worse with it, look at Stephen Jones circa 2009. When Sexton has the ball he is way more effective than T-D, I haven't seen much of Montpellier this year but IMO Fernandez and the scrum half (forget his name) carry T-D a lot of the time. And how could you say Sexton has week defense? teams never attack that channel when playing Ireland or Leinste, there's a reason for it. They won't get through. T-D is quite like Toby Flood imo. *He can't do anything when he doesn't have a perfect platform. It happened for a lot of the game against Ireland and it happened for 80 minutes against Italy and England.

Last edited by a moderator:
CarterDan_media.jpg

"Ha!"

Which backline at their best is more effective Irelands or France? Probably even.

Please keep in mind that Sexton is almost always playing with the same partners (the backs from Ireland are more or less the backs from the Leinster, they got much more preparation time than France etc...). It makes things easier.

Johnny Sexton scored 27 points in a HCup final against a very strong saints side. Something T-D couldn't do even if he could kick

He can kick. Btw you probably missed something about rugby. Rugby is a TEAM game, if a guy scores it's because his 14 teammates were there. Because forwards have exhausted the opposition. Because the support was quick enough to create holes. Etc... Not only because Sexton was the guy who had the ball when he crossed the line (I'm not saying he wasn't good tho). And what do you base your statement on ?

When Sexton has the ball he is way more effective than T-D

Have you really watched Trinh Duc playing ?

T-D is quite like Toby Flood imo. *He can't do anything when he doesn't have a perfect platform. It happened for a lot of the game against Ireland and it happened for 80 minutes against Italy and England.

So basically you say this guy is carried by his mates, right ? So Montpellier, one of France's smallest team, was able to defeat all these star-spangled sides with an international fly half who was carried by forward/backs that have almost never played at international level ? Nonsense. He's a key player.

I've no problem with anyone criticising anyone, once they back it up with some kind of facts. Ive openly said I dont see much between them. I'm a real fan of Trinh-duc and obviously of Sexton. Ive seen quite a bit of both of them this year.

You on the other hand, while admitting you cant be objective, point to Sextons weak defense (which is laughable) as was referenced and apparently seen by a member of munsterfans, and believe that the opinion of a guy sitting beside you is representative of the voting habits of this forum. Have you seen Sexton play? Have you watched the Heineken cup this year?

If you want to argue, lets argue, but at least base your arguments on a reality that can be referenced by others.

Fair enough.

After reading your message i told myself : God, am I really wrong ? Where did I get this feeling that Sexton's defense is bad ? I then selected a random game (trust me, it was 100% random) and ended up watching Clermont-Leinster (2011 HCup).

Clermont scored around the 10th minute. It was actually Malzieu, the winger who scored the try. Believe me or not, it was because Sexton missed his tackle. I'll try to watch more Leinster games this week, but it just confirms my initial feeling.

Clermont scored around the 10th minute. It was actually Malzieu, the winger who scored the try. Believe me or not, it was because Sexton missed his tackle. I'll try to watch more Leinster games this week, but it just confirms my initial feeling.
Sean O'Brien stepped out of the line, Sexton had to step up and Malzieu just cruised around him. You cant seriously expect me to accept that as evidence of poor defense.

Seriously. I'm a season ticket holder. I've watched Sexton for the last three years and defense has never been an issue. I'm sure he misses tackles, in the same way that O'Driscoll missed one pretty bad one in the HEC final this year, D'Arcy was steamrolled by Rougerie, and the entire NZ backrow missed TD in the clip above. Doesnt make him (or them) a bad defender.

As I've said, I dont see much between them, they are different players with different strengths. I'm just arguing with this perception of yours that Sexton has a poor defense.

If you're a racing fan why are you so vehelmently defending T-D? Do you not think Wieneski is better? He's always impressed me.

Anyway about Sexton always playing with a star studded backline thats a line before his big break through he was playing week in week out with St Marys club as the only professional player and he ran that pretty damn well. Trust me as my local club I watch every home match.

Also you want your 10 to be a big game player. In every big game he has come out all guns blazing. Vs The Saints, vs England, vs Tolouse, vs S.A. 09 vs Munster (pretty much every match against them) and Vs Leicester 09. The list goes on and on. Everytime he's needed to perform or his backs against the wall he's done it.

As a sidenote Jerry his younger brother a 6th year got an examiner from Cork for oral Irish. He started asking hm about the Sexton O'Gara debate.

If you're a racing fan why are you so vehelmently defending T-D? Do you not think Wieneski is better? He's always impressed me.

just because a player plays for the team you support doesn't mean you think he's better

As an Ospreys fan there's no way I would say Jonathan Thomas is better than Toby Faletau

and I know Olyy, who is a Sale fan, wouldn't say Buckley is one of the best tightheads in the Premiership

just because a player plays for the team you support doesn't mean you think he's better

As an Ospreys fan there's no way I would say Jonathan Thomas is better than Toby Faletau

and I know Olyy, who is a Sale fan, wouldn't say Buckley is one of the best tightheads in the Premiership

I was asking because I noticed him on some other threads doing it before. He's almost the Trinh-Duc protector.

I'm not. It's just that there are mainly UK and Irish people on this forum, and you are always debating about the same names : Flood / Sexton (sometimes O'Gara, rarely Scottish or Welsh fly halves - and some of them are outstanding). I'm just trying to give Trinh Duc a little bit more credit because he really deserves it, but as most of you are not watching France/Montpellier games, Trinh Duc is just an "other random fly half in Europe".

Last edited:
Trinh-Duc is an old-fashioned outside half, in that he runs well and unleashes the backs to great effect, even if his kcikig isn't world class, the rest of his game makes up for one area of his game which is improving all the time. Sexton is an exceptional player as well, but he's just not as classy as Trinh-Duc.