• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland, 24/02/13

I can't see past an Irish win. They've chosen a good team and I saw vulnerabilities in our performance against Italy, even if we did win it as opposed to them losing it.

Seen too many gubbings at Murrayfield against team green to be confident, or even accept our tag as favourites. Could be a real battle though...

Since Scotland seem to have the slight favourites tag in the media they will inevitably lose. We need to be unuderdogs. Look what happened in 2011 against Wales as favourites compared to this year against Italy as underdogs.

Yeh. Anybody think the scrum will noticeably struggle with Healy out ? Scotland looked alright against England a few weeks ago...

Remember, Euan Murray is also unavailable for Scotland, and Cross probably isn' the replacement

Can't say fairer than that. Yeah, I'd forgotten the ultra conservative touch-finders, Stephen Jones was doing the same for Wasps on saturday... see, it's these bloody prehistoric 10's, they're nowt but trouble!

Also, I remember the turnover where he missed a high ball right by touch just outside the Oirish 22, quickly getting rucked over by Launchbury and co... I don't remember the other time.

Last play of first half, poor pass from D'Arcy leaves O'Gara with Parling rushing up outside, he steps inside and finds Marler and keeps going so Robshaw puts him down (if memory serves). There's certainly a fantastic photo of Robshaw tackling O'Gara in this game and Robshaw looks sadder than Hitman Monkey. Also, the size disparity is hilarious.

okay, will be looking forward to watchin that scrum...
hoping to see a little bit of that early magic Ireland's shown that first match of the tournament...it sucks Healy ain't playin though, and when's Zebo returning ? Out indefinitely or ? Was he ruled out of the whole tournament ?? Can't recall...

Zebo's out for 10 weeks.

On Jackson - Madigan

I do think it should have been Madigan, he's more the form man, but it's also abundantly clear he's just not Kidney's type of player. Too much of a risk taker. Even if they were both first choice provincial out-halves, I reckon Kidney would have gone for Jackson. However, Jackson's not a bad player. He has the talent to do this. I'd rather he had a bit more international experience, or that this was a year later, or that he'd been playing more recently, but there's no reason he can't do this. He's performed in big games, he's ran a backline with only Small Paul and Skywalker to help him. So I'm optimistic. I also think it will help that he's got Luke Marshall inside him, he won't be worrying about his outside man at all. And, if you're picking an axis ready-made, the fact that Marshall is currently a more in-form 12 than McFadden is would have to play a part.

It is really weird to think that I've spent a few years getting excited over these guys, first just from reports of age grade games and the hate-f**king at the Aviva, then from watching them getting chucked in wholesale against the Dragons and doing Ireland U20 duty, and now they're making up half the back-line with a sub on the bench for luck at international level. First Ulster stars to come all the way through since I started supporting really - well, not including Nev - and now they're en masse for Ireland. Mental.

Wonder what odds I'd be able to get on Ireland scoring a try from Jackson - switch ball to Marshall - inside ball to Gilroy...

p.s. Why the hell is Barclay with Glasgow and not Scotland? Think he'd make a massive difference to Scotland's chances of victory...

p.p.s. Cave released for Ulster, Stevenson retained - Ryan not a 100pc certain?

^ (at Peat) thank you sir.
Poor Zebo...he looked like he was going to cry when he got injured that match against England...
That is two main wingers missing for Ireland, plus Healy up front......but they still look good on paper. Hopefully they can conclude their stronger moments in the game and convert the points.

Just remembered how much Ireland beat the crap out of Scotland last year (no offense Scotland, I do like you too :air_kiss:...), this ought to.............wtf ?! that's the gayest smiley I've ever seen !!!.............anyways......yes, this ought to be payback for Scotland, and I think the first two matches really haven't told the story for them yet this year. I don't think anyone knows who they are exactly quite yet. This should really put things right back into perspective.
If only they could use their backs (especially on the wings) more efficiently, they've got some heck of a potential there...

I've heard a lot of rumors that he may never play again.

to be fair we have become accustomed at ulster and ireland without him
its more of a added bonus when fit than a detractor when not

I've heard a lot of rumors that he may never play again.

Those rumours having been doing the rounds for quite a while. I may even have posted them up on here before myself...

Given that 1F himself thought he'd be fit by next month and that Ulster thought he'd be fit by next month - I have to believe that the sources of the rumours are, at least, not from the player/management. Now... whether the rumours were coming from medical professionals involved in the treatment is another story...

Remember, Euan Murray is also unavailable for Scotland, and Cross probably isn' the replacement

On Jackson - Madigan

I do think it should have been Madigan, he's more the form man, but it's also abundantly clear he's just not Kidney's type of player. Too much of a risk taker. Even if they were both first choice provincial out-halves, I reckon Kidney would have gone for Jackson. However, Jackson's not a bad player. He has the talent to do this. I'd rather he had a bit more international experience, or that this was a year later, or that he'd been playing more recently, but there's no reason he can't do this. He's performed in big games, he's ran a backline with only Small Paul and Skywalker to help him. So I'm optimistic. I also think it will help that he's got Luke Marshall inside him, he won't be worrying about his outside man at all. And, if you're picking an axis ready-made, the fact that Marshall is currently a more in-form 12 than McFadden is would have to play a part.

p.s. Why the hell is Barclay with Glasgow and not Scotland? Think he'd make a massive difference to Scotland's chances of victory...

I think that is why Jackson is getting the start, he has played big games, but also knows a lot of the back line pretty well, so its familiar for him.

Also Barclay is a great player but has not been amazing for the past couple of years. Denton is a great player and can cover all three positions well or could even start. While the new guy (Rob Harley) played really well and was an unsung hero in the game. He deserves to keep his spot and get more international experience.

Last edited:
Those rumours having been doing the rounds for quite a while. I may even have posted them up on here before myself...

Given that 1F himself thought he'd be fit by next month and that Ulster thought he'd be fit by next month - I have to believe that the sources of the rumours are, at least, not from the player/management. Now... whether the rumours were coming from medical professionals involved in the treatment is another story...

Well it was on UTV news

Incredible that once Kidney actually makes a progressive decision for once and it's pretty clear the only tough decision is Jackson or Madigan that the media actually begin to criticise his decisions.

BBC: Right, we've stopped talking about Englands performance yesterday, now lets remind everyone that England beat Ireland in this 6N.

Luke Marshall looks like a schoolboy alongside BOD in the team announcement..............what age is Luke?

Somewhat predictable. Seems like Nichol and Wood are trying to talk about the game, Guscott too but Inverdale is adamant we talk about Ingerland, he may as well wear a sodding England shirt.

21 I believe same age as Jackson and Gilroy, he dose have a boyish face.

Difficult game to call this one with Scotland's mini renaissance and Ireland's much changed team.......................will be interesting to one to watch methinks with maybe Scottish win by a only few points though?!

Luke Marshall looks like a schoolboy alongside BOD in the team announcement..............what age is Luke?

They asked Luke how he felt playing alongside O'Driscoll - replied he'd been watching O'Driscoll since he was 9...

Right, g'wan the Ulstermen and accompanying other Irish!

Latest posts