• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland v Ireland, 24/02/13

to be fair i couldnt ask for much more than that

i was fearing a 10 rog 12 earls scenario

Ireland could be good this weekend. That new axis might change the game. Scotland just need to improve on the Italy game and we could pull out a win.

This match might be the decider for who finishes middle of the table. Scotland just need to keep giving the ball to our back three, they are some of the best in the game.

Should be a great game to watch.

Scotland for the Championship!

I would love to see Earls have a good game. I often criticise him, but mainly because he plays in the wrong position. However he's naturally talented and when you look at his performance on the wing in the RWC, then you'll see how capable he is on the wing. I would love to him return to that form.

So can we all unanimously agree to lower our pitchforks, and extinguish our torches until next match?

So can we all unanimously agree to lower our pitchforks, and extinguish our torches until next match?

NO+Ted+Williams+looks+like+Obama+_d4fa7c4a41bb29904ce79e8d1e201100.jpg

My pitch fork has been raised all season not just from the England game. But I light my torch after that disgrace.

Nope. The coach has done the right thing not selecting Ronan O'Gara to start but Ian Madigan should at the very least be in the 23 and in my opinion be in the team.

I'm happy with most of the decisions but it remains to be seen if Declan Kidney persists with the same redundant game plan.

If Luke Marshall performs well, Gordon D'arcy won't get the shirt back. Marshall should be duking it out with JJ Hanrahan for the next decade.

Presumably this will make up O'Gara's mind about retirement. He's now seen as third choice flyhalf. He had a long distinguished career but his time is up. In his last three Ireland tests he kicked the ball away with time up against SA, gifted Argentina a try due to a stupid 22 restart and his performance against England is well documented. It's time to hang up the boots. A career in coaching awaits (as long as it's not defence coach).

ROG as a defence coach would be the funniest thing ever. This should happen.

ROG as a defence coach would be the funniest thing ever. This should happen.

''Right boys, the defensive system is to flap uselessly at them and hope the guy next to you gets him. Got it? Toidy''

Do hope Jackson can handle the pressure of kicking at the posts.

I think you still ned ROG in there for this first game. Paddy has handled HC rugby well, but that is still not international. If he falls apart having a safe option as backup is good.

Also having ROG there gives Paddy a safer mindset. Now he can focus on playing well, becuase if he starts playing horrible there is someone there to take over for him.

It is like Paddy has a "spot" in the GYM, so he should lift a lot more.

Wont matter though, as Scotland are going to hammer the Irish into dropping balls ;)

Much better than I was expecting I'd only make two changes but I'm happy enough with the guys there.

mmmmmmmm...Ireland ?...I dunno, both results I'd easily accept...don't think anyone's crushing anyone though.
But srs, how the fk are we supposed to make any predictions ?! Scotland gets CRUSHED (while still putting in 18 of their own though, important to mention...) and Italy play amazingly at home, then Italy can't do jack against Scotland which CRUSHES Italy. What can we make out of this lol ?! Scotland and Italy are terrible on the road (well Italy especially...), have a special thing at home goin on that they can pull a bit of magic when least expected...or England particularly match up well against Scotland...

Yeh. Anybody think the scrum will noticeably struggle with Healy out ? Scotland looked alright against England a few weeks ago...

Yeh. Anybody think the scrum will noticeably struggle with Healy out ? Scotland looked alright against England a few weeks ago...

nah healy's absence makes little difference scrum wise
the main loss from healy's ban is his ball carrying and defense

mmmmmmmm...Ireland ?...I dunno, both results I'd easily accept...don't think anyone's crushing anyone though.
But srs, how the fk are we supposed to make any predictions ?! Scotland gets CRUSHED (while still putting in 18 of their own though, important to mention...) and Italy play amazingly at home, then Italy can't do jack against Scotland which CRUSHES Italy. What can we make out of this lol ?! Scotland and Italy are terrible on the road (well Italy especially...), have a special thing at home goin on that they can pull a bit of magic when least expected...or England particularly match up well against Scotland...

No Court is an excellent loosehead scrummager.

NO!

Declan Kidney is STILL not selecting the right team.

15 Kearney
14 Trimble
13 BOD
12 McFadden*
11 Gilroy
10 Madigan
9 Reddan*

1 Court
2 Best
3 Ross
4 DOC
5 Ryan
6 SOB
7 O'Donnell
8 Heaslip

*Madigan is the form 10 at the moment (PJ is playing decent for us right now, nothing more) - with him being dropped in at the last minute, play Reddan inside and McFadden outside to give him men that he knows around him.

Earls and Gilroy are too similar. Trimble dovetails the jinky running nicely with hard straight lines and seriously heavy tackling. He is also the form (fit) wing in Ireland right now.

In no way whatsoever should the IRFU consider giving Declan Kidney a contract renewal. Here we are, half way through 6 nations 2013, two years out from RWC2015... and now he decides that Radge is past it and should be replaced. That should have happened as a matter of course immediately post-RWC2011.

I don't particularly rate POM. He was a non-entity against England apart from a few lineout takes. If you want a better option, then throw Henderson in - he'll be better than POM come 2015 anyway. I really dislike playing SOB at 7 to accommodate an average enough 6. TO'D has looked pretty sharp for Munster at 7 - stick him in, see how he does. Jordi Murphy would be another player I'd like to see considered - even if its earlier than ideal. Is Hendo gonna be a second row in 2015? Who is 6 (can't assume 1F will be fit)... if its SOB, then who is 7? Murphy? TOD? Chris Henry?

Yes. Turned over twice for penalties, unable to find much distance with his touchfinders, missed a penalty and offered no chance of a plan A of running rugby. Might be forgivable in and of itself, but as part of a pattern - I take that bit on what I'm told admittedly - it's a fairly good sign that he's not up to international rugby anymore.

So instead they'll be parachuting in a 21 year old for his first cap returning from an ankle injury while the media chant Radge as if they were the lost boys from Hook getting rowdy after their first ever alchopops.

hawkward.jpg

Can't say fairer than that. Yeah, I'd forgotten the ultra conservative touch-finders, Stephen Jones was doing the same for Wasps on saturday... see, it's these bloody prehistoric 10's, they're nowt but trouble!

Also, I remember the turnover where he missed a high ball right by touch just outside the Oirish 22, quickly getting rucked over by Launchbury and co... I don't remember the other time.

One issue I have is that we are praising Kidney for not selecting O'Gara. Are we overlooking his selection of Jackson ahead of Madigan? Is that another call that should be criticised?

In my opinion, we shouldn't ever have to praise a coach for not selecting a player, but rather praise them for selecting a certain player. In this sense, surely we should be criticising him for selecting Jackson when Madigan is on better form.

Having said that, Jackson has more experience in this Irish set up. He had a very successful outing against Fiji and has recent experience in big games.

Overall I'm happy that Jackson has been selected over ROG, but I'd have been ecstatic if Madigan had been selected. For me the selections of Court and Marshall are far more worthy of praise. Court is fully deserved of his position and adds great balance and sets piece strength to our pack. Marshall for me is the player to watch, this could be the start of a very bright future for Luke. (Lions Bolter?)

nah healy's absence makes little difference scrum wise
the main loss from healy's ban is his ball carrying and defense

No Court is an excellent loosehead scrummager.

okay, will be looking forward to watchin that scrum...
hoping to see a little bit of that early magic Ireland's shown that first match of the tournament...it sucks Healy ain't playin though, and when's Zebo returning ? Out indefinitely or ? Was he ruled out of the whole tournament ?? Can't recall...

P.S.: GO IRELAND !!

Jackson always had the edge to Madigan, He has played in far bigger games with a lots of stress on the game and handled himself well.

But if Jackson plays like a God among men, we might see ROG leave even sooner. As he should not be kept as backup.

Jackson always had the edge to Madigan
True

He has played in far bigger games with a lots of stress on the game and handled himself well.
Not so sure about this one. The biggest start of Jackson's career thus far was the Heineken Cup final. I'll be nice and say he was appalling in that game (won't go into details which is the nice part).

Madigan has started in the Aviva Stadium for Leinster against Munster and Clermont. He's come off the bench in two Heineken Cup finals and kicked a game clinching drop goal against Munster in Thomond Park. A couple of months ago he completely outplayed Jackson in Ravenhill despite playing off the back foot behind a beaten pack all day. In my opinion, the fact that Jackson is the first choice 10 for Ulster with Madigan acting as second choice for Leinster is the reason for the ex-Methody player's selection. I believe if Jackson and Madigan were playing for the same province, it'd be Madigan getting the nod more often than not.

Latest posts