• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Scotland on the up?

F

Finerz

I think that Andy Robinson has been just what Scotland have needed and that if some luck had gone our way we could have been contending for the championship.

The first game against France was never going to be a win for Scotland and not surprisingly Parks was not involved in the only game we didn't have a chance in. Against Wales, we undoubtedly deserved to win, and without some stupid decisions we would have been on our way to a triple crown. The result in Rome would probably have been different in the result in Cardiff had been different and then there was the Calcutta Cup match, where we should have taken advantage of an uninspiring England side, and we would now be proud holders of the triple crown after a much deserved win over Ireland.

Looking forward to next year now, to the Six Nations and the World Cup, I think we are finally going to fulfill our potential. Our pool in the WC is a decidedly lucky one. We could have ended up with New Zealand, Australia or Southafrica as the first seeds, but we got a team we could probably beat consistantly in Argentina. Against England we will be pretty much equal, judging on this years performances, and if all goes to plan, Scotlad could be through to the knockout stages to maintain our 100% record.

Do you agree that we are on the up, or will we just keep slumpng back down in typical Scottish style?

The big worry I have about RU is that England are consistently ****, even though they're the biggest rugby country in the world. And even when they're winning, it means the rugby is ****.

The next big worry is that Scotland have collapsed as a pillar of NH rugby. They were the wittiest team in the 5N and a pleasure to watch (mostly!). If they're on the way back, that is great news - but they're not playing their traditional style of fast ruck and spread it wide, and apart from a couple of guys in the backrow there's nobody to inspire neutral supporters. Although it was great to see Parkes jumping up and down like a schoolboy when he kicked the winner against Ireland - baxtard!

Yes, I reckon Scotland will do well next 6N. But the RWC? I have doubts.

1 win over Ireland and you're going on like this? Imagine what the Scots would be saying had they beat Italy too? :p

Well, actually I agree with you. I think Scotland are on the rise and that Andy Robinson is proving his worth.

I would be stunned if Scotland won...lucky there is no chance. What is it about NH posters which the tiniest bit of positive news from a player or team and all of a sudden they're the next big thing.

Agreed. Scotland have been alright all year (and by that I mean competitive) but in my opinion they're about as good now as they can be. Sure they might win 3 games next year, but they'e not good enough to ever really challenge for a championship. There's only so much you can get out of a teamwith Dan Parks and Graham Morrison in your starting 15.

That is true about Parks and Morrison. Theres just not a lot of other choices. I really do hope Robinson gets Jackson into the 22 at least before the World Cup because that would give Parks a back-up who isnt Phil "****" Godman. Maybe De Luca at 12 and Evans at 13? You never know. I wasnt expecting Max Evans on the wing. Hopefully Rory Lamont gets fit soon.

Scotland have improved. However, I think that they have looked better than they actually are. An in form England would have beasted them, an in form Welsh team would have beasted them, and an on form Irish team with a functioning flyhalf and Fitzy would have beasted them. I'm looking foreward to their tour of Argintina, I guess that will be the turning point.

Scotland have improved. However, I think that they have looked better than they actually are. An in form England would have beasted them, an in form Welsh team would have beasted them, and an on form Irish team with a functioning flyhalf and Fitzy would have beasted them. I'm looking foreward to their tour of Argintina, I guess that will be the turning point.

I'm not sure about that really, I think you're being quite harsh on them. You say that ''on form'' England and Wales would have beaten them, but England haven't been on-form for a long time and Wales have been mis-firing ever since the AI's (possibly even from the 08 Grandslam onwards, though 2008/9 season wasnt too bad for them). And I wouldn't have said that this is an on form Scottish side either, yes they've showed gilmpses of what they can do, and got a superb win in Croke Park to show for it, but are still no-where near the standard that they could reach imo.
I mean take the Wales match, they were fantastic for the majority of the match, and as a Welsh fan I was very worried of a 40 point hammering. If it wasnt for a forward pass from Sean Lamont to Kelly Brown, then I very much think they would have put 40 on us. The fact that they lost the match when they were so dominant shows to us that they're not quite the team they could be. But at least Andy Robinson has made progress and got them moving in the right direction.