Scandal: Wallabies in Argentina without luggage

Jaguares

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Argentina
Club or Nation
Argentina
The Wallabies have endured more suffering on their hellish trek from Cape Town, with the squad's luggage not making it to Buenos Aires.

After leaving Cape Town at 4.30am on Monday, the Wallabies arrived in Argentina almost 24 hours later with only their carry-on bags.

Players and officials were walking around the team hotel in slippers and the same attire as they left South Africa in as they awaited the arrival of their gear, including training kits and equipment.

Coach Ewen McKenzie was giving his charges most of the day off to relax and recover from Saturday's torrid clash with the Springboks before completing their Rugby Championship campaign this weekend against the Pumas in Mendoza.

The taxing three-flight journey from Cape Town to Buenos Aires is one of the toughest in world sport but prop Sekope Kepu said the Wallabies just had to suck it up and cop the latest hit on the chin.

"We've just got to regroup. I mean, it's not ideal that our luggage and all that stuff's not here, but that's life; you've just got to get through it," Kepu said.

"It's just part of the obstacle of getting to the end goal and that's putting on a performance this weekend."

In the intensity and physicality stakes, Kepu rated Australia's 28-10 loss to South Africa - after the Wallabies led until the 69th minute - among the most torrid of his 46-Test career and said the challenge now was to immediately bounce back and be ready for the abrasive Argentines on Saturday.

"It's just a rollercoaster," he said.

"It's an emotional rollercoaster where you build yourself towards the end of the week and you either win or lose and, regardless, you've just got to pick yourself up, dust yourself off and look forward to your next challenge.

"It's another Test-match opportunity to represent Australia and I guess bounce back.

"Going back to last year, it was a pretty similar result. We lost in Cape Town and came back and we won by 50 (in Rosario).

"I'm not saying that will happen this week but, as Ewen would say, a week in rugby is a long time.

"Anything can happen in a week."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...argentina-without-luggage-20140930-3gwpv.html

Was gonna say, hardly a scandal. Same thing happened to my family coming home from New York a few years a go.

could be a blessing in disguise, hopefully they spend a day inside analysing video of what the hell happened last weekend and making sure it never happens again.

Too much navel gazing is never a good thing.
Aussie were always going to get belted in South Africa this year, because they pulled off a miracle in Perth against the odds.
The Boks are the better team this year and they were always going to want some serious payback in the return match because that loss essentially gifted the RC to the All Blacks.
Aussie were always going to be made to pay.
Having a rest is the best thing for them.
Why is it three flights from Capetown to Buenos Aires? No direct flight huh? I can understand two but three is asking for the baggage handlers to lose luggage.

Why is it three flights from Capetown to Buenos Aires? No direct flight huh? I can understand two but three is asking for the baggage handlers to lose luggage.

Yeah, this was puzzling me too. Why did they fly to Brazil from Cape Town, and then from there on to Argentina?? Unless their sponsor Qantas had something to with the travelling arrangements.

In Argentina, the working class hates rugby and luggage...

I thought you guys knew, Suzie has moved on from her waitressing job and is now head of security at Jo'burg airport..

Am I the only one who was surprised Kepu apparently has 46 test caps?

Maybe they counted the caps he got when playing for NZ at U/18 and U/21 level as it's basically on the same caliber as the Wallabies senior team... :p

I can't believe Jean DeVilliers and Habana both reached 100 tests. They must have counted the tests they spent loitering in the opposition backline twice :p

That had me thinking;

So we have Matfield, Smit, Montgomery, Habana and De Villiers all over 100.

I see next in line for SA is Bakkies Botha (82) and Ruan Pienaar (80) though I can't see either reaching 100 caps TBH. I don't think they are going to get the opportunities. Bismarck and Burger are too far awat as well IMO... I think some of the younger guys who are now starters will probably be the next to reach 100; a guy like Etzebeth who is only 22 but already on 28 caps.

Well, apparently the Welsh are angry with me because I said that Wobs and Poms are favorites in the Group A in the next WC...

more drama's for the aussies. Beale spat the dummy at one of the coaching staff and is now under investigation and the staff member involved decided he' rather be at home than take crap from Beale.

something like that anyway :)

Latest posts