• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA franchises in 2013

Well, it was just heartbreaking to see our U21 team miss out on the final but next season they will have a stronger team than this year, with Super Rugby experience for half of the team. I just feel for Heimar Williams. Being a massively talented player, captain of the U21 team but he is a center. After years of bad centers, now we have depth and world class players in his position.

Well, it was just heartbreaking to see our U21 team miss out on the final but next season they will have a stronger team than this year, with Super Rugby experience for half of the team. I just feel for Heimar Williams. Being a massively talented player, captain of the U21 team but he is a center. After years of bad centers, now we have depth and world class players in his position.

Is Lindeque leaving? It seems like it based on his Tweets.
Pat Howard (of Michaelhouse) scored the match winning try for WP. I think Michaelhouse only accepts rugby players named Patrick.

Hahaha. Pat Cilliers, Pat Lambie, Pat Howard. Good call...

Lindeque is not going anywhere!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Saying my last goodbye's at the Sharks tonite. Had n lovely time with all of you guys and I thank you for the memories and friends made!! :(</p>&mdash; Piet Lindeque (@PietLindeque) <a href="https://twitter.com/PietLindeque/status/261508236799270914" data-datetime="2012-10-25T16:43:16+00:00">October 25, 2012</a></blockquote>
<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah, I've seen nothing on Keo, SARugby, or Sharksworld.
I'll have to enquire on SW later.

Look at you, contacting the players directly.
Think you're pretty special, eh? :p

Hey... Someone has to do it. Looks like his contract ends and he didn't get a new contract from the Sharks management.

That's a damn shame. I had heard good things about him.
I hope Brynard has hidden his FB/Twitter accounts from you. ;)

I feel more and more like this is just a thread to get through the final days before the final...

I feel more and more like this is just a thread to get through the final days before the final...

That avatar of yours doesn't quite sting as it used to LOL. Here's hoping that Lambie gets some time at 10 for the Bokke and then in the SR as well!

Now I'm wondering whether I must get de Jongh's try as my avatar...

PS let's hope Beast doesn't get pinged for scrumming in like that thos EoYT!

Last edited by a moderator:

Just to refresh the memory. Two great tries to win a Currie Cup each!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just post here so Stormer doesn't feel left out.

So yeah, looks like Butch will be back in Durban next season. Not a bad option, honestly. He will backup Lambie and hopefully be a bit of a mentor for Zeilinga and Hauptfleisch. We have have Jean-Luc du Plessis (son of Carel) in the U19's next season.

I'll just post here so Stormer doesn't feel left out.

So yeah, looks like Butch will be back in Durban next season. Not a bad option, honestly. He will backup Lambie and hopefully be a bit of a mentor for Zeilinga and Hauptfleisch. We have have Jean-Luc du Plessis (son of Carel) in the U19's next season.

Good man. +1 for consideration LOL.

Good news guys!!! A bunch of players have signed new contracts!

Marcell Coetzee has signed a new contract keeping him in Durban till 2015. Other players who's contracts were up for review were Pat Lambie, Louis Ludik and Francois Steyn. All three players have extended their contracts by 2 years.

Meanwhile, John Plumtree has stated he is looking at 3 youngsters to come through the ranks during the Super Rugby season next year.

Fred Zeilinga (fly-half) is most likely to make a name for himself. The youngster is turning 20 in December and has been one of the consistent perfomers in the U21 side of the Sharks. With Gavin Hauptfleisch being another talented fly-half, the competition is fierce but Zeilinga seems to have won that battle. However, Hauptfleisch is pushing for a spot in the senior team as well. Having Butch James there to mentor both will help them significantly. After all, he is a World Cup winning fly-half and those aren't easy to come by.

Pieter-Steph du Toit (lock/flanker) has already made a name for himself during the Junior Rugby Worldchampionships and in Super Rugby, when he came on as a substitute when the Sharks played the Chiefs in Durban in the regular season. He played another 3 matches off the bench before making his starting debut against the Bulls. He has played a total of 6 Super Rugby matches already but 2013 is to be his year according to insiders.

Allan Dell (prop) made his senior rugby debut in this years Currie Cup against the Free State Cheetahs and is versatile. He can play both sides of the scrum which is not as valuable as it was up to now due to the 23-man squad for matches from next year onwards, but he does fit the bill to be Mtawarira's cover. Dale Chadwick has not stepped up yet and maybe Allan Dell will grab his chance and show the skills required.

Other players to look out for:

Brynard Stander (flanker)
Hanco Venter (scrum-half)
Heimar Williams (center)

Franco van der Merwe and Butch James have been loaned from the Lions to the Sharks for this upcoming season.

Good to see PS du Toit is likely to get some game time for you guys. It seemed at one stage that we might struggle to replace Bakkies, Matfield and Rossouw but those fears aren't a factor any more and Du Toit certainly has the goods to make the step Etzebeth has from what I've seen.

Latest posts