• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

SA franchises in 2013

Yes, it has been confirmed. I really like the setup to our squad with these 2 additions. In the SARU PotY thread I already kicked off a debate in which I state that players need to be rotated more...

When looking at the Sharks squad, I am very happy to see the depth we have.

1. Tendai Mtawarira, Dale Chadwick, Allan Dell*
2. Bismarck du Plessis, Craig Burden, Kyle Cooper, Monde Hadebe
3. Jannie du Plessis, Wiehahn Herbst, Nick Schonert
4. Jandre Marais, Peet Marais
5. Anton Bresler, Franco van der Merwe, Pieter-Steph du Toit*
6. Keegan Daniel*, Jacques Botes (still no confirmation on a move abroad), Brynard Stander*
7. Marcell Coetzee*, Willem Alberts, Jean Deysel
8. Ryan Kankowski, Tera Mtembu
9. Cobus Reinach, Charl McLeod
10.Patrick Lambie, Butch James, Fred Zeilinga
11.Lwazi Mvovo, Rosco Speckman, Sibusiso Sithole
12.Tim Whitehead, Francois Steyn, Meyer Bosman*
13.Paul Jordaan*, Marius Joubert
14.JP Pietersen*, Odwa Ndungane
15.Louis Ludik*, Riaan Viljoen*, Gouws Prinsloo

* shows certain versatility in the abilities of the player. We have all positions covered with back-up of players who have experience in senior rugby.

The Stormers team is also very very dangerous with incredible depth.

1. Steven Kitshoff, Deon Carstens
2. Tiaan Liebenberg, Deon Fourie*, Scarra Ntubeni
3. Pat Cilliers, Frans Malherbe, Brok Harris
4. Eben Etzebeth, Wilhelm van der Sluys, Michael Rhodes*
5. Andries Bekker, de Kock Steenkamp, Ruan Botha
6. Siya Kolisi, Schalk Burger
7. Rynhardt Elstadt, Tyrone Holmes, Nizaam Carr
8. Duane Vermeulen, Don Armand*
9. Dewaldt Duvenhage, Nic Groom, Louis Schreuder*
10.Elton Jantjies, Peter Grant, Gary van Aswegen
11.Bryan Habana, Damian de Allende*, Patrick Howard
12.Jean de Villiers, Marcel Brache
13.Juan de Jongh, JP du Plessis
14.Gio Aplon*, Gerhard van den Heever
15.Jaco Taute*, Joe Pietersen

Butch James has officially confirmed that he will return home next season.
Welcome back, Butch, keep the arm down in the tackle and we'll be grand.

Always a good thing to have a world cup-winning fly-half in the squad. Yes, I know... Andre Pretorius plays with the Leopards and offers **** to them, but he is an exception... Mr. Sandcastles is just a tosser.

Butch James will offer experience for our young fly-halves Fred Zeilinga and Draggs' new man-crush Gavin Hauptfleish (remember Draggs, my pick, Brynard Stander, got his senior debut earlier...)

OK, there is a difference between a mancrush and supporting the young players.
I think Bath would disagree on your first point, right now.
On your second point, we have Lambie, no need for other standoff crushes ;)

OK, there is a difference between a mancrush and supporting the young players.
I think Bath would disagree on your first point, right now.
On your second point, we have Lambie, no need for other standoff crushes ;)

I think Eze has too many man-crushes at the moment...

his love for Lambie, Marcell Coetzee an Brynard Stander is a bit too much... people are starting to talk...
Intervention.jpg

I think Eze has too many man-crushes at the moment...

his love for Lambie, Marcell Coetzee an Brynard Stander is a bit too much... people are starting to talk...
Intervention.jpg

If the Greeks taught us anything it's that there isn't necessarily a fixed number for things to work when it comes to man crushes.

I think Eze picks a nipper and supports them wildly until Springbok selection, then finds another to 'raise'. In all fairness, he has picked some decent ones over the past few years.

I think Eze picks a nipper and supports them wildly until Springbok selection, then finds another to 'raise'. In all fairness, he has picked some decent ones over the past few years.

Well, just have a look at the players I took under my wings on their way to the Bok jersey:

It started with Ruan Pienaar (who was already a Bok at the time so it doesn't count) in 2006

During the 2007 season I started to support Kankowski. He got his Bok debut against Wales later that year, scoring a try even.

In 2008, I started to support Monty Dumond. He was a rather talented fly-half but lack of discipline didn't get him far.

In 2009 I witnessed Lambie's debut against Griquas in the Currie Cup. He came on as a sub for Strauss at inside center. His rise to fame a year later was amazing!!!

After Lambie's Bok debut, I put my focus on this youngster Marcell Coetzee. I remember I was the only one on forums and websites who managed to correctly write his first name, while everyone else spelled it with 1 L.

He made his Bok debut this summer and now I put my money on Brynard Stander.

Not bad huh... Only Monty Dumond didn't really deliver but the others are long-time Boks. Yes, even Kanko! Watch his return to the Bok line-up in 2013!

4876696414_d3f62d18be_z.jpg

I've called a few for Wales; North a few months before his first cap, Cuthbert 6 months before his, Robinson: 1 year.

I'm still ****** the Bulls didn't secure the services of CJ Stander, and it's only their own fault. Not giving him enough game time and playing **** guys ahead of like Spies, Stegman, 2 x Potgieters.

Well, just have a look at the players I took under my wings on their way to the Bok jersey:

It started with Ruan Pienaar (who was already a Bok at the time so it doesn't count) in 2006

During the 2007 season I started to support Kankowski. He got his Bok debut against Wales later that year, scoring a try even.

In 2008, I started to support Monty Dumond. He was a rather talented fly-half but lack of discipline didn't get him far.

In 2009 I witnessed Lambie's debut against Griquas in the Currie Cup. He came on as a sub for Strauss at inside center. His rise to fame a year later was amazing!!!

After Lambie's Bok debut, I put my focus on this youngster Marcell Coetzee. I remember I was the only one on forums and websites who managed to correctly write his first name, while everyone else spelled it with 1 L.

Not bad huh... Only Monty Dumond didn't really deliver but the others are long-time Boks. Yes, even Kanko! Watch his return to the Bok line-up in 2013!

Looks like you're getting better and better at it as well; Kanko < Du Mond < Lambie < Coetzee! Can't wait to follow B Stander a little more closely next year if he manages to get time.

I'm still ****** the Bulls didn't secure the services of CJ Stander, and it's only their own fault. Not giving him enough game time and playing **** guys ahead of like Spies, Stegman, 2 x Potgieters.

I was also sad but with all those loosies (Botha as well pushing from behind) something was always going to give and TBF J Potgieter was amazing for the Bulls. He didn't make the same impact for the Bokke but in his defense he was rushed back from injury with no game time prior to his game for the test side to get back into his stride which may be a bit unfair. I hope he gets back to his best. That said there is precious little places for a whole host of potential Bok loose forwards.

Last edited:
Was visiting a relative in Johannesburg yesterday and at the local grocer on the information board was two Ellispark season tickets attached to it, neatly pinned with thumb tacks (office pins).
I could not believe my luck, the grocer had to office pins in stock, man I am so lucky !!

Not bad BUT I think everyone can make up a similar list of the top players from their franchise/province that became Springboks in the last few years - and they arguably followed them closely, like a good supporter would

Not bad BUT I think everyone can make up a similar list of the top players from their franchise/province that became Springboks in the last few years - and they arguably followed them closely, like a good supporter would

Exactly!!

it's a hit and miss basis, but it's nowadays much easier to spot a hit than in the past... just by the amounts of games they play, it's easy to see who can become great and who won't.

Latest posts