• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RWC: South Africa - Wales (11-09-2011, 20:30)

I honestly can't wait for this game (even if its at 9.30 in the morning, the morning after i go out on the lash). The more I think, the more i feel we have a chance against SA. Form hasn't been great with the Boks of late and i'm quietly confident about it. As other posters have pointed out, the warm ups have idicated that we've improved in certain areas, but also we continue to struggle at set pieces :( :( Coming up against the Bokks, I hope we can sort out the line and tighten in the scrums... Easy right ;)

We seem to have close contests with the Bokks, and i see this being very similar. I just hope we can begin with a big W - confidence is key :D

What's the Bok scrum been like recently? Think we might have an edge in that department, especially with Adam Jones back. Line out is gonna be a huge problem for us probably, Matfield has a habit of being able to just disrupt everything for us there.

What's the Bok scrum been like recently? Think we might have an edge in that department, especially with Adam Jones back.

I think there scrums been very good, but when Smit moves to prop it loses to Australia's!:p

Can't see the boks being troubled, so Saffers by 22, Lots of penalty goals, couple tries, Lots of kicking, Hopefully not too boring..

SA will win this by 5 points, but if SA do lose this game its not the end, they might even like it more because if they lose they will have to vs Aus in quarter final instead of NZ in semi... either way they will lose to both NZ and Aus but they might think they have more of a shot at beating Aus than NZ... hmmm i dunno im just saying random thing lol.

Agree with you there, not as if Wales haven't been improving either, and not as if we haven't run them close in recent years.

The games have been close but you'd do well to consider that the team to play this time round won't be a tired team with a third of it being newbies given a go. This will , for the most part, be the strongest we can put out, rested, and motivated. I think the Springboks will be looking to put down a marker much like the 36-0 win over England in 2007. I'd say SA to win 32-20 as i'm sure the Welsh will score a few tries as our first time tackling hasn't been what it should be and was in 2007. That said, we havn't hit our straps yet and if Wales really have improved that much... who knows. I suppose bigger upsets have happened.

I don't agree that Wales have improved that much, they beat England last game but only had the ball a couple of times in that game. England came into the Welsh 22 something stupid like 25 times. SA just don't go there that often without coming away with points, try/drop/pen whatever. I'd like Wales to win as they are a home-nation but just think SA are to clinical.

I don't think that SA has been all that clinical; 1 on1 tackling has been poor and we lost waayyyy to many ball through handling errors in our games against Aus and NZ and thus didn't score a single try in those games. Forwards in the wrong positions handling (and half the time dropping) the ball killed all our attacking impetus. Hope Rassie sorts that out.

Yeah, Gatland will probably opt for Wellies starting and Hook midfield. Shame about Gavlar's injury.
Leigh is untested at FB but a better option than Lee Byrne regardless.

Bradley needs to step it up, he started off well but has been lacking a bit over the past few matches. Alun Wyn was excellent v Argentina, we need him to stay like that to even have a chance. I was pleasently surprised with Luke Charteris in his last game; hopefully second row won't be such an issue.

Regarding Phillips v Knoyle, I'd go for Phillips. He had a good showing in both games v England and his physicality will be needed against the Boks.

As far as the SA side goes, this doesn't seem unrealistic:

01 Steenkamp
02 Smit
03 du Plessis
04 Matfield
05 Botha
06 Burger
07 Alberts
08 Spies
09 du Preez
10 M Steyn
11 Habana
12 de Villiers
13 Fourie
14 Pietersen
15 F Steyn

16 B du Plessis
17 Mtawarira
18 Rossouw/Muller
19 Louw/Rossouw
20 Hougaard
21 Lambie
22 Aplon

I have a feeling Div will go for du Plessis over Smit, which would make sense considering form, but I don't see the point of making Smit captain and benching him.
Steenkamp and Mtawarira is a tough call. Injury free, Steenkamp every time. I don't know how they see Danie Rossouw, but I'd use him as backup lock over Muller. Louw/Brussow is another tough call, can Francois play blindside?

What I'd like to see though I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't go that route;

Steenkamp, Du Plessis, Du Plessis in the front row; John Smit just isn't a 1/4 of the player Bismarck is.
Second row is settled and the guys know their roles. I'd just like to see Matfield hang out less in the backline (both on attack and defense).
Brussow, Burger, Spies. With Alberts on the bench. Rossouw is off it and Burger has been playing more of a blindside role for the last few years anyway. Spies hopefully can continue his upward curve and I think a more open game would suit him better as well so hopefully he goes well and gains some confidence. I'd like to see him try to offload more though otherwise his runs don't count for as much.
FdP, Morne Steyn. It's no coincidence that Steyn has been playing better with FdP back. More time and confidence. Du Preez hasn't hit his straps yet though and that is what will make us go the distance or not IMO. His up-and-unders has been too deep most of the time with the odd one too close (probably overcompensating) and he hasn't taken over the decision making totally as yet. I'd like to see him get his old game back but his been out so long I wonders if he even remembers it LOL. Also, Juan de Jongh is a better 12 for my money in this set-up. Jaque Fourie picks himself as our best back unless FdP gets back to form.
Habana, Aplon, Lambie or otherwise Habana, Pietersen, Steyn. I'd prefer the former but expect the latter, especially if we have JdV at 12. The one puts more impetus on attack and keeping ball alive (giving nothing away WRT defense IMO) whereas the other seeks to play for territory and strangle the opposition/ force mistakes.

SA will win this by 5 points, but if SA do lose this game its not the end, they might even like it more because if they lose they will have to vs Aus in quarter final instead of NZ in semi... either way they will lose to both NZ and Aus but they might think they have more of a shot at beating Aus than NZ... hmmm i dunno im just saying random thing lol.

TBH I'd rather see us play NZ in the SF than Aus in the QF. Can't substantiate it but I feel more confident about our chances against NZ than Aus.

What's the Bok scrum been like recently? Think we might have an edge in that department, especially with Adam Jones back. Line out is gonna be a huge problem for us probably, Matfield has a habit of being able to just disrupt everything for us there.

Bok scrum is solid up until the point that PdV moves John Smit to tighthead. At that point I'd be able to push them around LOL. The scary thing is that actually might happen; I thought they learnt their lesson but then lo and behold, they do it again against the Aussies and we go back in the scrums at pace.

Last edited:
I think we might go for a 5/2 bench, which will enable us to pick two props and a hooker on the bench. That way, Smit will not move to tighthead.

That's what they did vs the All Blacks in the last game, so I'm hoping they will stick with it.

This should be our run on team:

1. Gurthro Steenkamp
2. John Smit
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Heinrich Brussouw
7. Schalk Burger
8. Pierre Spies

9. Fourie du Preez

10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaque Fourie
14. JP Peterson
15. Francois Steyn

16. Bismark du Plessis
17. Beast Mtawarira
18. Danie Rossouw
19. Willem Alberts
20. Francois Hougaard
21. Butch James
22. Patrick Lambie

In my opinion, especially with players like Spies, Morne Steyn, Brussouw and Matfield finding good form recently, this team is far too strong to be beaten by Wales. Even when Wales are at home, on the front foot, and we are 20 points behind with key injuries, we always seem to come back and beat them. I think we have only ever lost to them once in our history (1999 was it?). I think the Welsh would do well to come close to beating this team, and I would also regard a loss as an upset.

But that's just my Springbok bias talking. :)

2 words to the welsh: Heinrich Brussouw!

there's fetcher in the NH that can be considered in the same league as Brussouw, Pocock and Mccaw.

that's why the NH clubs keep on buying SH flankers to play for their teams!!

Brussouw is going to steal a lot of balls, give us front foot ball and let our backs run!

there's a reason why Rassie Erasmus is with the Springboks... just wait and see what he does with our team on the technical side as well as finishing.

Also, has Wales ever won in the Southern Hemisphere??

there's fetcher in the NH that can be considered in the same league as Brussouw, Pocock and Mccaw.

Brussouw is going to steal a lot of balls, give us front foot ball and let our backs run!

there's a reason why Rassie Erasmus is with the Springboks... just wait and see what he does with our team on the technical side as well as finishing.

Two words: Wayne Barnes!

Brussow is a quality player, but when he makes a tackle he's often not actually releasing the tackled player before trying to steal the ball. He largely got away with it in the Tri Nations (so fair play to him!), however I get the feeling that he could get penalised quite severely by some refs if he continues to do this. I'm sure he is a smart enough player to adapt to the ref, but it will be interesting to see how effective he is with a ref that more strictly enforces the current tackle ball law interpretations.

We'll see about that, considering you'll be going up against one of the, if not the​, best opensides in the NH in Sam Warburton :p

:lol: ... big talk ... lack of knowledge is key.

:lol: ... big talk ... lack of knowledge is key.

Well in the 4 games he played Against the tri-nations teams in his Welsh Career, the Welsh lost all 4 games. all 4 of them at the Millenium Stadium

In the Game vs. SA neither Brussouw nor Schalk was in the team. Deon Stegman and Juan Smith were the flankers... wasn't it the game where Marcus North made his debut??

Well in the 4 games he played Against the tri-nations teams in his Welsh Career, the Welsh lost all 4 games. all 4 of them at the Millenium Stadium

In the Game vs. SA neither Brussouw nor Schalk was in the team. Deon Stegman and Juan Smith were the flankers... wasn't it the game where Marcus North made his debut??

1. Stats can be interpreted in different ways. Don't know why you brought that up because I was trying to address a point you made earlier in your post.
2. Sam Warburton is a top openside flanker.
3. Marcus North is an Australian cricketer who has just signed for Glamorgan for the next two cricket season.
4. George North ...

'The White Lomu'....lolz :rolleyes:

Ah the wise guy of the pack <_<

Last edited:
1. Stats can be interpreted in different ways. Don't know why you brought that up because I was trying to address a point you made earlier in your post.
2. Sam Warburton is a top openside flanker.
3. Marcus North is an Australian cricketer who has just signed for Glamorgan for the next two cricket season.
4. George North ...

Lol

thanx for clearing that one up!

my humble apologies for screwing the names up...

Firstly, mistakes that lead to penalty points are due to constant pressure and the AB's have mastered the technique of rather giving away three, rather than 7 points. Secondly, they have also been playing the Springbok B-team for the past two years and that is why they were winning us. Now Our A-team started playing together again in the game against Aus the second last game of the Tri-Nations! Now we have sorted our Def and we can start to concentrate on attack again, starting with the Welsh, they are so gonna get creamed! Then we have a few try scoring practices leading to the knock-out stages. It is game-on baby and the pendant on the NZ choke chain this year won't be a rooster, but a buck, a Springbok!

Same against New Zealand. Every game where Brussouw has played against New Zealand, New Zealand has lost. Coincidence?

One player aside though, we have far too much experience to lose to Wales. Especially in New Zealand where we are far more used to playing than the Welsh.

yeah, it would be interesting to see how many of the Welsh players has 1. Played in the Southern Hemisphere and if so 2. played in New Zealand.

maybe the conditions will also be a factor.

Latest posts