• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[RWC 2023 Final] New Zealand v South Africa 28/10/23 20:00 BST

its so weird, ive see just as many people claiming this is the best RWC ever...as ive seen people claiming its the worst

another sign of the divide in what large groups of us fans want to see
I think the group stage was too long. And I'd prefer if the two great group games were semi-finals as the rankings suggested they be. But other than that pretty good tournament, even if the eventual winner would be far down my list of who I'd like to have seen win.

I also think the Eng V SA game was better than a lot suggested. It was a classic in the rain slugfest which is just as much as a part of the sport as when the conditions actually favour ball in hand rugby.

its so weird, ive see just as many people claiming this is the best RWC ever...as ive seen people claiming its the worst

It's just what society does these days. The same way every sport has an athlete that's considered "the greatest of all time" and that kind of nonsense. Social media has really ruined it.

It's all about extremes. There's no nuance anymore.

There were a couple games I thought were **** until I saw how much it was pouring and then I realized it was actually impossible to catch the ball.

I actually think it was a really good World Cup. Probably 4 of the strongest sides to ever compete at a WC. We got some great moments along the way from Fiji and Portugal. Other Tier 2s showed the progress they have made since 2019.

Those anthems were absolutely awful in the beginning though.

And that try by Barrett came off a knock on by Tele'a
No, there wasn't any knock on by Telea. Instead, there was a series of contentious calls or non calls that all went against New Zealand.

While I do understand the euphoria and although South Africa needs to be congratulated for the win, staying humble under the current circumstances won't do any harm.

No, there wasn't any knock on by Telea. Instead, there was a series of contentious calls or non calls that all went against New Zealand.

While I do understand the euphoria and although South Africa needs to be congratulated for the win, staying humble under the current circumstances won't do any harm.
We are quite used to it. 95 we poisoned the other team. 07 we just coasted because NZ and Aus didn't win. 2019, easiest route to the final ever. 2023 the refs cheated and we cheated. If it isn't boring rugby, or against the spirit of the game or manipulating laws and refs it would be something else. Nothing new to us having the rest of the world tell us how undeserving we are each time we win it. It just makes us celebrate even harder. That's just how we are.

I'm just salty because we are bad.

We are quite used to it. 95 we poisoned the other team. 07 we just coasted because NZ and Aus didn't win. 2019, easiest route to the final ever. 2023 the refs cheated and we cheated. If it isn't boring rugby, or against the spirit of the game or manipulating laws and refs it would be something else. Nothing new to us having the rest of the world tell us how undeserving we are each time we win it. It just makes us celebrate even harder. That's just how we are.
Meh, South Africa don't cop it any more than any other fan base. You just think you do. Because you lot are fugn insane.

Meh, South Africa don't cop it any more than any other fan base. You just think you do. Because you lot are fugn insane.
I dunno man. The way we were booed by the French crowd was something else. I have never heard that before in that way for 3 games in a row. Many fans hate many teams, but this is the first tournament I have seen where basically everyone rallied to hate just one team. Probably happened to England a few times if im honest though lol.

I dunno man. The way we were booed by the French crowd was something else. I have never heard that before in that way for 3 games in a row. Many fans hate many teams, but this is the first tournament I have seen where basically everyone rallied to hate just one team. Probably happened to England a few times if im honest though lol.
Your deluded. The French booed everyone. They actively booed the Welsh v Fiji from the 1st minute.

I dont know why south Africans have this odd psychological need for victimisation. You were just handed 3 matches in a row to win a world cup, enjoy it, 4 years ago you were handed an armchair ride to a final. Enjoy the luck, acknowledge it, be humble and continue celebrating FGS

Well, 1995 still stings, but in retrospect I couldn't be more happier than to see such a wonderful human being and immense man of state celebrating the win with the players. Too bad there aren't any Nelson Mandelas anymore, the world would have certainly been a better place.

Your deluded. The French booed everyone. They actively booed the Welsh v Fiji from the 1st minute.

I dont know why south Africans have this odd psychological need for victimisation. You were just handed 3 matches in a row to win a world cup, enjoy it, 4 years ago you were handed an armchair ride to a final. Enjoy the luck, acknowledge it, be humble and continue celebrating FGS
You are my point in a nutshell. Thanks Kant.

Ah ok so it's really just the way the people are. Got it.
French crowds?
Yes.
I'd be amazed if there hasn't been a 3-match streak where the French crowd have been booing the French team, let alone opponents, and let alone the team who knocked France out of the French world cup whilst France were (more or less) favourites to win the tournament.

Like whistling the kicker etc - it's almost like different cultures have different cultural norms.

Yea I've found that interesting too. But for me personally, I haven't found it any worse than previous tournaments.

The pool stage dragged on - but if the extra week meant a fairer schedule for Tier 2 teams in particular, then I was happy to cop that as a fan.

Usual disparity in how some teams play vs others, with some styles being more popular than others - but no more than past tournaments (at least as far as I recall).

The draw was lopsided as fark as we all know - but ultimately, the best 4 teams played each other, and the winners of those games played in the final. So while a couple of teams didn't progress as far as maybe expected, the overall integrity of the tournament wasn't impacted by the draw. Albeit by accident rather than design.

So overall, IMO this cup was no worse than others and on balance, given the quality of the quarters, probably a wee bit better.

Is it? Look at the people claiming this was the best and who's claiming the opposite and the trend is quite clear. It's difficult for most not to combine their team's success with how good of a WC this was for them. It's a terrible way to approach the issue but it's inevitable.

Look a bit more closely at the opinions of those who had little or no skin in the game.

Is it? Look at the people claiming this was the best and who's claiming the opposite and the trend is quite clear. It's difficult for most not to combine their team's success with how good of a WC this was for them. It's a terrible way to approach the issue but it's inevitable.

Look a bit more closely at the opinions of those who had little or no skin in the game.
Which is why it is so hard for me to give credit to England and to make the claim that SA were handed a final. Damn I wanted SA to spank them, and I was left pitying the English for outperforming SA in every facet until a certain you know who decided that couldnt be allowed to happen with 10 to go. Lol

Also, Wales had a decent RWC, tipped to not get out of the group, made a quarter... and I even travelled to France twice. Still the worst in my memory. Japan was an incredible tournament in comparison, even with abandoned games, and an SA win haha

I don't see the pommies complaining about being universally loathed, they literally have an annual competition in which defeating them is 95% of the fun for the other teams and they just accept it

You should accept it too. Winning 4 out of 10 WC makes you Dr Evil of rugby and now everyone is looking to put you down, rightfully so. Embrace being the baddies

I don't see the pommies complaining about being universally loathed, they literally have an annual competition in which defeating them is 95% of the fun for the other teams and they just accept it

You should accept it too. Winning 4 out of 10 WC makes you Dr Evil of rugby and now everyone is looking to put you down, rightfully so. Embrace being the baddies
Yup. The Bad Boks has a nice ring to it I reckon. Besides, we are due a huge rebuild now, and I cant see us being this competitive again for a while. At least it was entertaining while it lasted.

Latest posts