• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Teams/Country's Best XV

I am happy with the selections in bold. Not saying I don't agree with the other but I am unsure to varying degrees. My own considerations..

2 I have a lot of time for Du Plesis.. think he'd monster the other options in an actual game.. i mean transport him as is back in time.. I don't know, just my admittedly half-enlightened view
3 yeah, lets go Marais, I just don't know enough. Visagie held his own pretty well and I have a soft spot for Ollie
7 too many options but I'd go Juan Smith at his best as pushing for World XV honors as well, very underrated workhorse player
9 Danie Craven or Joost.. not sure how much too weigh that mystique and legend of Craven vs actual known (speaking of myself here) ability of Joost
12 ... I've always had a lot of time for Japie Mulder and Hennie le Roux as a combo but not sure they'd sneak in. I'm sure we can do better than JdV though I love him.
14 My dad swears by 'the prince of wingers' Carel du Plesis

Maybe read the opinions of more informed pundits;

Great points.

Bismarck right now in form is the best hooker I've ever seen, I think I just have a sentimental attachment to Smit for all the years he put in with the Boks and captaining the 2007 team.

I honestly wasn't too sure about tighthead, I've heard so much about Hempies du Toit as well

At 7 yeah there's been just so many great Bok blindsides over the years. Juan Smith has been fantastic, Andre Venter, Ruben Kruger (although I think he played openside for the Bulls), Piet Greyling and Theuns Stofberg were all so great

12 - yeah my dad and uncles talk about Peter Whipp a lot too, and I've heard and read a lot abut Mannetjies Roux as well

Wing - Also definitely a good mention for Carel du Plessis, I've actually managed to watch a couple full games of his from the 80s and he was very impressive

Thanks for those other reads, always interesting to get the point of view of people watching and following rugby far longer than myself

Scotland:
France:
01: Christian Califano
02: Rafael Ibanez
03: Nicolas Mas
04: Olivier Brouzet
05: Fabien Pelous
06: Olivier Magne
07: Jean Pierre Reives
08: Abdelatif Benazzi

09: Pierre Berbizier / Didier Camberbero / Fabien Galthie ...what a choice!
10: Christoph Lamaison
11: Philippe Saint Andre
12: Yanick Jauzion
13: Phillipe Sella
14: Émile Ntamack
15: Serge Blanco

Pretty surprised to see this is the first time Ibanez is mentioned as France's all time hooker on this thread. I always rated him very highly. Walter Spanghero and Robert Paparemborde haven't been mentioned much either

i meant for fullback, he was a great welsh and lions fullback in my opinion

Yeah, but he was never part of a winning Lions team. There is an argument that BOD or Jason Robinson should not be there either for the same reason.

The most notable players I think played in the 1971, 1974 and 1997 tours, because they were part of Lions teams that beat the All Blacks and the Springboks on their turf.

Last edited:
Yeah Canuk, i cant believe he didnt come up before....they guy was top class...and must be amongst Frances top cap earners aswell showing his durability.

WP Pro

1 Cobus Visagie
3 Brian Mujati
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Andries Bekker
6 Francois Louw
7 Schalk Burger
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Niel de Kock
10 Joel Stransky
11 Bryan Habana
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Jaque Fourie
14 Breyton Paulse
15 Percy Montgomery

WP amateur

4 Morne du Plesis
14 Carel du Plessis
15 HO de Villiers

Actually, let me have a think here and get back to it..
could you do a stormers team ?

Interesting lists there guys...

Scotland greats without Gary Armstrong? Or Doddie Weir or David Sole
An England team without Rory Underwood or Johnny. Will Carling would have pushed Greenwood all the way and Tim Rodber has to be in there somewhere.

France:
Ibanez for hooker.
Benazzi has to be in there and was class but probably a 6/lock rather than 8.
Dont forget wings/ fb's like Jean Baptiste Lafond, Sh like Camberbero, Openside like Magne.

Camarebero was a 10/winger wasn't he?

Yeah Canuk, i cant believe he didnt come up before....they guy was top class...and must be amongst Frances top cap earners aswell showing his durability.

Pretty surprised to see this is the first time Ibanez is mentioned as France's all time hooker on this thread. I always rated him very highly. Walter Spanghero and Robert Paparemborde haven't been mentioned much either

yeah apparently Sponghero was dubbed the "man of iron" (or "ironman", translating from French) by the Saffers after one of his tours there.

I may be wrong, but I picked Servat over Ibanez, although Ibanez is more iconic and has much more of that "classic player" tag. Servat wasn't selected half as much as Ibanez (44 caps vs 98 caps) but was part of (what I guess we can call) the golden age of French scrummaging along with many excellent props, Mas, Domingo, Olivier Milloud, Marconnet, Pieter De Villiers, Fabien Barcela; I think Servat was possibly a better scrummager, and very present around the park. I don't know...sen both play a lot, but couldn't be absolutely sure of any.

has anyone got an idea for a All Black's, Australia or Argentina like i know obvious one's

I'd be interested in reading what kiwis feel is an all-time All-Blacks XV myself.

I'll have a go at the AB's

1) McDowell
2) Fitzpatrick
3) Loe
4) Meads
5) jones
6) micheal jones (plays 7 but a amazing player
7) Richie
8) Read
9) Marshall
10) Carter
11) Lomu
12) umaga
13) C.Smith
14) Kirwan
15) cullen

Sure many will disagree

I'll have a go at the AB's

1) McDowell
2) Fitzpatrick
3) Loe
4) Meads
5) jones
6) micheal jones (plays 7 but a amazing player
7) Richie
8) Read
9) Marshall
10) Carter
11) Lomu
12) umaga
13) C.Smith
14) Kirwan
15) cullen

Sure many will disagree
not really i agree with most off it but i would say is im not sure if we should have Todd Blackadder for the Blindside spot but btw that is looking pretty good

1. Leonard
2.Moore
3.Probyn
4.Johnson
5.Dooley
6.Hill
7.Back
8.Richards
9.Dawson
10.Wilkinson
11.Cohen
12.Greenwood
13.Guscott
14.Underwood
15.Perry

NZ
1 Woodcock
2 Fitzpatrick
3 Hayman
4 Thorn
5 Meads
6 Jones
7 McCaw
8 Shelford / Zinzan?? How do you choose?

9 Marshall
10 Carter
11 Lomu
12 Umaga
13 Bunce
14 Kirwin / Howlett / Jeff Wilson
15 Cullen

OZ
1 Daly
2 Kearns
3 McKenzie
4 Eales
5 Sharpe
6 Elsom
7 Smith
8 Ofahengaui / Kefu

9 Gregan / Farr-Jones
10 Lynagh
11 Campese
12 Horan
13 Little
14 Roff
15 Burke

Argentina - May struggle with this one

1 Roncero
2 M.Ledesma
3 P.Noriega
4 I.F Lobbe
8 J.M Lobbe

9 A. Pichot
10 H.Porta
12 F.Contempomi
15 J.M Hernandez

Last edited:
Fiji
You could genuinely make a team of 15 world class backs!

1 J. Veitayaki
2 G.Smith
3 B.Cavubati (Big Bill – Heaviest prop ever to take the international field)
4 S. Raiwalui
5 I Rawaqa / A. Naevo
6 Illie Tabua
7 A.Qera
8 S. Koyamaibole

9 J. Rauluni
10 N. Little (Mention of W.Serevi though for 7's)
11 M. Vunibaka
12 V.Delasau
13 S. Rabeni
14 R. Caucau
15 J. Vidiri

Isa Nacewa was not considered for this team

Last edited:
Fiji
You could genuinely make a team of 15 world class backs!

1 J. Veitayaki
2 G.Smith
3 B.Cavubati (Big Bill – Heaviest prop ever to take the international field)
4 S. Raiwalui
5 I Rawaqa / A. Naevo
6 Illie Tabua
7 A.Qera
8 S. Koyamaibole

9 J. Rauluni
10 N. Little (Mention of W.Serevi though for 7's)
11 M. Vunibaka
12 V.Delasau
13 S. Rabeni
14 R. Caucau
15 J. Vidiri

Isa Nacewa was not considered for this team

Is that guy from Namibia not heavier? I don't remember his name though.

That is a nice looking team though. Pity for the **** Fiji has to deal with. As a Saffa I know how frustrating it is; politics interfering in sport.

Samoa

1 L. Mulipola / A. Perenise
2 M. Schwalgar / T. Leota
3 P. Fatialofa / Census or James Johnson
4 F. Levi
5 K. Thompson
6 S. Setiti
7 P. Lam
8 H. Tuilagi

9 S. So'oailo
10 E. Va'a / S.Bachop
11 S.Tagicakibau / D.Lemi