• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Teams/Country's Best XV

not just country aswell ewis it says country and a team if you want. but i understand this isn't easy i can't even think off one for scotland but this is what i've got atm

4. Gordon Brown
5. Nathan Hines
6. John Jeffrey
9. Roy Laidlaw
10. Ian McGeechan
11. Tony Stanger
13. Scott Hastings
14. Iwan Tukalo
15. Gavin Hastings

and 2000 posts! yas!

Scotty, come on!

how about this for Scotland:
1. David Sole
2. Colin Deans
3. Ian Milne
4. Gordon Brown
5. Nathan Hines
6. John Jeffrey
7. Finlay Calder
8. John Beattie
9. Roy Laidlaw
10. John Rutherford
11. Tony Stanger
12. Jim Renwick
13. Scott Hastings
14. Iwan Tukalo
15. Gavin Hastings

England:

01: Jason Leonard
02: Brian Moore
03: Fran Cotton
04: Martin Johnson
05: Bill Beaumont
06: Richard Hill
07: Peter Winterbottom
08: Dean Richards
09: Dewi Morris
10: Richard Sharp
11: Prince Alexander Sergeevich Obolensky
12: Will Greenwood
13: Jerry Guscott
14: David Duckham
15: Jason Robinson

France:

01: Nicolas Mas
02: Olivier Azam
03: Christian Califano
04: Olivier Brouzet
05: Fabien Pelous
06: Éric Champ
07: Jean Pierre Reives
08: Abdelatif Benazzi (struggled here)
09: Pierre Berbizier
10: Jean-Patrick Lescarboura
11: Philippe Bernat-Salles
12: Frank Mesnel (nearly went with Charvet)
13: Phillipe Sella
14: Émile Ntamack
15: Blanco

Last edited:
How about this XV for the Lions:

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-uni...-made-our-greatest-lions-xv-of-the-modern-era

Leigh Halfpenny and George North may make future Greatest Lions XV, but for the time being the polls are closed and the votes have been counted.

We decided to pick players from the modern era of the Lions - so starting from 1971 we gave you three players in each position to vote for. The voting was fierce but we can finally reveal the Greatest Lions XV voted by you...

15 JPR Williams

Stuart Barnes says: What a legend! One of the rocks of that 1971 and 1974 series. Who would forget the drop goal to draw the game and win the series in 1974, and who would forget his tackles and carries game after game!

14 Gerald Davies

Stuart Barnes says: Tasted defeat in South Africa in 1968 but bounced back to become one of the stars in 1971 in New Zealand. A magnificent sidestep and a glory to behold in full flight.

13 Brian O'Driscoll

Stuart Barnes says: Has been very unlucky with injury. We know when he was the captain in New Zealand what happened, we all know about the spear tackle. But who could forget how well he played in the first Test in 2001. I can remember saying in commentary: 'The Irish call him God, he is not God, he is better than that!' In 2009 he was again on a losing side but he showed that you don't always have to win to be a hero. The way he took Danie Rossouw out was fearless and the way he put Jamie Roberts over the gainline was unforgettable.

12 Mike Gibson

Stuart Barnes says: 12 caps for the Lions, one of the smoothest and intelligent players we have seen wearing that shirt. He was one hell of a competitor.

11 Jason Robinson

Stuart Barnes says: Jason Robinson did not play as long in union as say JJ Williams but what an impact he made in 2001. He was part of a losing series but he was devastating. When he sidestepped Chris Latham at the Gabba to score in 2001 the place went crazy. It was one of the great Lions moments.

10 Barry John

Stuart Barnes says: The man they never stopped talking about in New Zealand. Barry John with his hand-off at the tail of the lineout, Barry John gliding with his collar up hither and thither - he was one of the poets of Welsh rugby and one of the greats.

9 Gareth Edwards

Stuart Barnes says: He played ten Test matches for the Lions and was just incredible. He turned the world of rugby upside down - a unique rugby player and in my view one of the greatest of all time. He was wonderful for Wales and even better for the Lions.

1 Ian McLaughlin

Stuart Barnes says: Mighty Mouse was ever present in those fantastic wins in New Zealand in 1971 and in South Africa in 1974. He was the aggressive scrummager who really put it to the kiwis and the Springboks.

2 Keith Wood

Stuart Barnes says: His performance in the first Test against Australia in 2001 was mesmeric - he was my man of the match that day. He was also outstanding throughout the series in 1997 when the Lions beat South Africa 2-1.

3 Fran Cotton

Stuart Barnes says: Who will ever forget that photograph of Fran; the giant swamp monster covered in mud coming to get the Springboks. And get them he did!

4 Martin Johnson

Stuart Barnes says: Johnson was the man Ian McGeechan appointed as captain in 1997 because Geech wanted a captain who could go eye to eye with Springbok captain Gary Teichmann. He was a brilliant captain and an outstanding Lion.

5 Willie John McBride

Stuart Barnes says: The legend grows and grows and grows. he played 17 Test for the British and Irish Lions - more than anyone else. He has led them to fights and led them to victory and is THE legend of the Lions.

6 Lawrence Dallaglio

Stuart Barnes says: One of the most familiar names of the modern era. He had his bad luck with the Lions - he had his injury in 2005 but he played some decent stuff in 2001 in Australia. However it was in 1997 where we remember Dallaglio. No.8 for England for most of his career, but on that series Tim Rodber played eight and Dallaglio played No.6. I don't think I have seen a better defensive display from Lawrence Dallaglio than in that second Test in Durban.

7 Fergus Slattery

Stuart Barnes says: In my view Slattery is one of the greats of Irish rugby. He played four Tests for the Lions and was crucial in helping the Lions win the big series in 1971 and in 1974.

8 Mervyn Davies

Stuart Barnes says: Merv the swerve. Played eight times for the Lions and won many of those. He was a great man, a hard man and a humble man. He will always be indelibly linked to Lions history.

Captain: Willie John McBride

Stuart Barnes says: He may not be an original choice but he is the obvious choice to lead this great team out

Springboks (keep in mind I haven't seen a few of these guys play, but they are legends of the game in SA)

1 Os du Randt
2 John Smit (this was a tough one, Uli Schmidt is according to my dad the best hooker ever, and Bismarck right now is a monster but Smit was so reliable and consistent for so long)
3 Hannes Marais
4 Frik du Preez
5 Victor Matfield
6 Jan Ellis (oddly enough wore #7 for the Boks but played openside while Piet Greyling playing blindside, I know I'll get some flak for not picking Pienaar)
7 Andre Venter (blindside flank in SA)
8 Morne du Plessis
9 Joost van der Westhuizen
10 Naas Botha
11 Bryan Habana
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Danie Gerber
14 Ray Mordt
15 Andre Joubert

I am happy with the selections in bold. Not saying I don't agree with the other but I am unsure to varying degrees. My own considerations..

2 I have a lot of time for Du Plesis.. think he'd monster the other options in an actual game.. i mean transport him as is back in time.. I don't know, just my admittedly half-enlightened view
3 yeah, lets go Marais, I just don't know enough. Visagie held his own pretty well and I have a soft spot for Ollie
7 too many options but I'd go Juan Smith at his best as pushing for World XV honors as well, very underrated workhorse player
9 Danie Craven or Joost.. not sure how much too weigh that mystique and legend of Craven vs actual known (speaking of myself here) ability of Joost
12 ... I've always had a lot of time for Japie Mulder and Hennie le Roux as a combo but not sure they'd sneak in. I'm sure we can do better than JdV though I love him.
14 My dad swears by 'the prince of wingers' Carel du Plesis

Maybe read the opinions of more informed pundits;
Fullbacks

Stars
: Gerrie Brand, HO de Villiers, Johan Heunis, Gysie Pienaar, André Joubert

My choice: HO de Villiers, who changed the way the world played fullback - the swashbuckling, adventurous, skilled, strong, recklessly brave hero of the rugby field. People went to Newlands just to see HO play.

Wings

Stars:
Bob Loubser, DO Williams, Otto van Niekerk, Jannie Engelbrecht, Ray Mordt, Agie Koch, Hermanus Potgieter, Tony Watson, Chester Williams

My choice: Agie Koch - so strong so fast, swerving stepping and doing it both ways. I once sat with several of his team-mated at the airport in Kimberley, picking out 'best-ever team' and they were unanimous that the best-ever wing of that time was Agie Koch who never did become a Springbok.

Centres

In days not long ago, centres played left and right, not inside and outside. We have tried to accommodate the past to the present.

Stars: Japie Krige, Louis Babrow, John Gainsford, Ian Kirkpatrick, Peter Whipp, Danie Gerber, Michael du Plessis, Jaque Fourie

My choice: John Gainsford and Michael du Plessis

It's heartrending not to choose Danie Gerber but in fact John Gainsford, big and forceful, captain of Western Province when they won the Currie Cup had a bigger impact than an impact-full player in a team with little impact on the Currie Cup, not even a single final/. And then we have picked a clever man on Gainsford's inside - a tough genius of great skill, strength and speed.

Wings

Stars
: Freddie Turner, electric Billy Anderson, Mannetjies Roux, Gerrie Germishuys, Carel du Plessis, Breyton Paulse, Bryan Habana

My choice: the smooth, gliding Carel du Plessis, dabbing the ball down for a try.

Flyhalves

Stars:
Bennie Osler, Hansie Brewis, Piet Visagie, who broke from a scrum and ran 40 yards to score a try against the All Blacks, Naas Botha, Henry Honiball

My choice: Naas Botha. The Currie Cup is there to be won and Naas was a winner. Just remember that day in the rain and hail at Ellis Park. Transvaal scored two tries, Northern Transvaal none but Naas, probably the best wet-weather player ever, kicked four penalties and four drops for 24 points. Naas could do it all - ran faster, catch and pass better and kick with length and accuracy. I'll be he could tackle, too, if he needed to.

Scrumhalves

Stars:
Pierre de Villiers, Danie Craven, Dawie de Villiers, Piet Uys, Divan Serfontein Joost van der Westhuizen, Fourie du Preez

My choice: Divan Serfontein who made such a wondrous contribution in Western Province's five in a row - alert, dedicated, speedy and a leader.

Eighthmen

Stars:
André Macdonald, Hennie Muller, Doug Hopwood, Morné du Plessis, Gary Teichmann

My choice: Gary Teichmann - the honourable man who ushered in Natal's era of glory after playing wallflowers for so long.

Flanks

There was less talk in the past about openside and blindside, 6 and 7. I have just nominated flanks and picked two.

Stars: Stephen Fry, Basie van Wyk, Hugo van Zyl, Martin Pelser, Jan Ellis, Thys Lourens, Piet Greyling, Jan Boland Coetzee, Burger Geldenhuys, Theuns Stofberg, Rob Louw, Ruben Kruger, André Venter, Juan Smith

My choice: Theuns Stofberg and Thys Lourens.

When Stofberg played for the Free State, they won the Currie Cup, and the same goes for the Northern Transvaal and Western Province. Thys Lourens captained Northern Transvaal in the era of their greatness, forming a triumvirate with Naas and Buurman van Zyl., a man who never gave less than his very best.

Locks

Stars:
Phil Nel, Mauritz van den Bergh with one leg shorter than the other, Johan Claassen, Salty du Rand, Jan Pickard, Avril Malan, Frik du Preez, Moaner van Heerden, John Williams, Louis Moolman, Kevin de Klerk, Mark Andrews, Victor Matfield.

My choice: Frik du Preez and Jan Pickard.

Frik, the all-round genius wat gedrop, geplace en gescore het and Jan Pickard who had a massive impact on the Currie Cup, first as brave player and great leader and then as a president who wanted above all, the Currie Cup for his union.

Props:

Stars:
Barry Heatlie, Phil Mostert, Boy Louw, Chris Koch, Jaap Bekker, Mof Myburgh, Piet du Toit, Frans Erasmus, Henning van Aswegen, Os du Randt

My choice: Barry Heatlie and Boy Louw.

I did not see either of them play but Markötter believed that Heatlie - 'I played with him and against him,' - was the best all-round forward South Africa ever produced, still the youngest Springbok forward of all time. He played in 28 Currie Cup matches for Western Province between 1892 and 1904 and his side won every single one and won the Currie Cup every time.

Nobody played for Western Province with a greater passion than Boy Louw. Rugby was his life and most of that rugby was for Western Province as player, coach, selector and motivator. He could also play in any position in the scrum.

Hookers

Stars:
Jan Lotz, Abie Malan, Gys Pitzer, Piston van Wyk, Uli Schmidt, John Smit, Bismarck du Plessis

The nature of the position has changed. They are still called hookers but do not hook as they did in olden times, trying to get the opponents' ball.

My choice: Jan Lotz who played for Transvaal on both sides of World War II, a rugged man who was a hooker and much more than a hooker.

My All-Star Currie Cup team

15 HO de Villiers
14 Agie Koch
13 John Gainsford
12 Michael du Plessis
11 Carel du Plessis
10 Naas Botha
9 Divan Serfontein
8 Gary Teichmann
7 Theuns Stofberg
6 Thys Lourens
5 Frik du Preez
4 Jan Pickard
3 Boy Louw
2 Jan Lotz
1 Barry Heatlie

1. Os Du Randt - Strongest loose head and leading try scorer for a prop
2. Uli Schmidt - Great ball carries and vision for the game
3. Flippie Van Der Merwe - The man was a beast, strong and oh yes strong
4. Mark Andrews - Great lineout jumper and ball carrier
5. Frik du Preez - He dropped, placed and scored
6. Andre Venter - The enforcer, what a wonder servant to SA Rugby
7. Schalk Burger - Still young and current but IRB world player of the year 2005
8. Gary Teichmann - The best no 8 this SA has ever produced and there has been some great names.
9. Jooste Van Der Westhuizen - Crisp pass, fleet of foot and a record try scorer for a scrum half.
10. Naas Botha - He could kick of both feet, read a game and distribute a backline in a flash, oh yes he also play for the Dallas Cowboys.
11. Carel du Plessis - Known as the Price of Wings
12. Manijtie Roux - He used to tackles cows for practice on his farm.
13. Danie Gerber - If Carel was the Prince of wings, then Danie was the King of centers. The greatest there ever was in world rugby.
14. James Small - Leading try scorer for a very long time in SA rugby and never allowed Johna Loma to score against him.
15. Andre Joubert - The Royals Royce of Fullbacks

Only four made it onto every list:Centre Danie Gerber
Wing Carel du Plessis
Loosehead prop Os du Randt
Hooker Uli Schmidt.

HO de Villiers, Frik du Preez and Joost van der Westhuizen were nominated by all but one of the all-time XV selectors.
- See more at: http://www.ruggaworld.com/2006/06/05/springbok-all-time-xv/#sthash.lIYKMoNc.dpuf

Just some snippets..

Interesting lists there guys...

Scotland greats without Gary Armstrong? Or Doddie Weir or David Sole
An England team without Rory Underwood or Johnny. Will Carling would have pushed Greenwood all the way and Tim Rodber has to be in there somewhere.

France:
Ibanez for hooker.
Benazzi has to be in there and was class but probably a 6/lock rather than 8.
Dont forget wings/ fb's like Jean Baptiste Lafond, Sh like Camberbero, Openside like Magne.

Scotland:
1. Tom Smith
2. Colin Deans
3. David Sole
4. Gordon Brown
5. Doddie Weir
6. John Jeffrey
7. Finlay Calder
8. John Beattie

9. Gary Armstrong
10. John Rutherford
11. Tony Stanger
12. Scott Hastings
13. Alan Tait
14. Chris Patterson
15. Gavin Hastings

England:
01: Jason Leonard
02: Brian Moore
03: Fran Cotton
04: Martin Johnson
05: Ben Kay
06: Tim Rodber
07: Richard Hill
08: Dean Richards / Andy Ripley / Dalaglio

09: Matt Dawson
10: Johnny Wilkinson
11: Rory Underwood
12: Will Greenwood / Will Carling
13: Jerry Guscott
14: David Duckham
15: Jason Robinson

France:
01: Christian Califano
02: Rafael Ibanez
03: Nicolas Mas
04: Olivier Brouzet
05: Fabien Pelous
06: Olivier Magne
07: Jean Pierre Reives
08: Abdelatif Benazzi

09: Pierre Berbizier / Didier Camberbero / Fabien Galthie ...what a choice!
10: Christoph Lamaison
11: Philippe Saint Andre
12: Yanick Jauzion
13: Phillipe Sella
14: Émile Ntamack
15: Serge Blanco

Last edited:
Since there will be loads of England teams I will do a Leicester team:

1) Rowntree
2) West
3) Garforth
4) Johnson
5) Kay
6) Corry
7) Back
8) Richards
9) Healey
10) Stranskey
11) R.Underwood
12) Howard
13) Gibson
14) Lougheed
15) Stimpson/Murphy

That is the team of my dreams.

Tigs...i was thinking about club teams...here goes Falcons (Not including Newcastle Gosforth Players like Uttley etc)

1 Nick Popplewell
2 Ross Nesdale
3 Carl Hayman
4 Doddie Weir
5 Gareth Archer
6 Geoff Parling
7 Pat Lam
8 Dean Ryan

9 Gary Armstrong
10 Johnny Wilkinson
11 Inga Tuigamala
12 Mark Mayerhofler
13 Alan Tait
14 Tony Underwood
15 Matt Burke

Benazzi played a whole lot of lock, especially in the more crucial xv de France games (like 1999 RWC NZ) so I don't think he's the best pick at no.8 and with a legend like Chabal who was so prolific on both defense and offense...
And for God's sake, stop putting Mas at loosehead and Califano at tighthead !!!! :lol:
And it's Jean-Pierre Rives*.

Some good picks for France there.
Also, I tend to favor more modern players as I always do in sports. Ppl always call me out in "Greatest Ever Top 10's" in NBA circles because I leave out "classic legends" of the game, but I firmly believe all those older guys benefited from a much less competitive setting (NBA), or much less "physical" style for Rugby. I'll pick Rives at flanker because he's just such a historical figure, but how do we know he'd fare all that well with today's backrow monsters ?

Ah not sure...i think the old greats would be great these days.

And for God's sake, stop putting Mas at loosehead and Califano at tighthead !!!!
Corrected

See Chabal is a funny one to me. Yes he put his big hits in...and with his beard etc he was a iconic figure...but as an actual 8...was he a better player than Harinordoquay who i think was a class player?

WP Pro

1 Cobus Visagie
3 Brian Mujati
4 Eben Etzebeth
5 Andries Bekker
6 Francois Louw
7 Schalk Burger
8 Duane Vermeulen
9 Niel de Kock
10 Joel Stransky
11 Bryan Habana
12 Jean de Villiers
13 Jaque Fourie
14 Breyton Paulse
15 Percy Montgomery

WP amateur

4 Morne du Plesis
14 Carel du Plessis
15 HO de Villiers

Actually, let me have a think here and get back to it..

Last edited:
Geordie:
Harinordoquy was always the more athletic guy. He played a number of sports as a kid, including martial arts. So he was this sort of athletic wiz. Brilliant in the lineout catches, strong tackler, very authoritative and charismatic, good hands, ran well, powerful...he was sort of the complete package athlete and a pure no. 8. But Chabal tackled the fk out of your biggest player, got the crowd going like no one and his team pumped up, and not just because of his beard and off-the-field antics. There was actual substance there, tons of it. He's a guy who could go on a rampage on attack and score a try on his own. And his impact was always felt when he was a sub coming in at the 60th or so. His physical strength really was on par with the mystique ppl made of it. He really was Chabal, the caveman, it wasn't just an act.
1m90, 115kg, powerful but surprisingly mobile, and what a tackling form and timing, what propulsion. Ali Williams knows.

I do have one criticism though...he couldn't kick a drop to save his life:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh im not disagreeing he was a top player who was a physical demolition ball....

But this thread was asking for the best ever...and i dont think he is the best ever French No.8...indeed not the best ever in the french pack.

He was a great player of the generation and one that will be remembered but i think to be in the very top echelons you need more than just caveman strength and being a 60 min impact sub.

guys i really do appreciate all those teams and thanks for the help, Edinburgh's one will be pretty easy as we haven't been around for long.

1. Craig Smith
2. Ross Ford
3. Dave Hewett
4. Nathan Hines
5. Scott Murray
6. Todd Blackadder
7. Simon Taylor
8. Netani Talei
9. Mike Blair
10. Brendan Laney
11. Tim Visser
12. Matt Scott
13. Hugo Southwell
14. Simon Webster
15. Chris Paterson

Geordie:
you may be right, but I figured he was one of those unique forces of nature and his impact on French Rugby was enough to propel him to the all-time XV.
I'm interested in hearing ppl commenting about why another, or other(s) are more valid picks though.

Scotty, come on!

how about this for Scotland:
1. David Sole
2. Colin Deans
3. Ian Milne
4. Gordon Brown
5. Nathan Hines
6. John Jeffrey
7. Finlay Calder
8. John Beattie
9. Roy Laidlaw
10. John Rutherford
11. Tony Stanger
12. Jim Renwick
13. Scott Hastings
14. Iwan Tukalo
15. Gavin Hastings
ahh thats better mind you i think we need to mention Andy Irvine ?

How about this XV for the Lions:

http://www1.skysports.com/rugby-uni...-made-our-greatest-lions-xv-of-the-modern-era

Leigh Halfpenny and George North may make future Greatest Lions XV, but for the time being the polls are closed and the votes have been counted.

We decided to pick players from the modern era of the Lions - so starting from 1971 we gave you three players in each position to vote for. The voting was fierce but we can finally reveal the Greatest Lions XV voted by you...

15 JPR Williams

Stuart Barnes says: What a legend! One of the rocks of that 1971 and 1974 series. Who would forget the drop goal to draw the game and win the series in 1974, and who would forget his tackles and carries game after game!

14 Gerald Davies

Stuart Barnes says: Tasted defeat in South Africa in 1968 but bounced back to become one of the stars in 1971 in New Zealand. A magnificent sidestep and a glory to behold in full flight.

13 Brian O'Driscoll

Stuart Barnes says: Has been very unlucky with injury. We know when he was the captain in New Zealand what happened, we all know about the spear tackle. But who could forget how well he played in the first Test in 2001. I can remember saying in commentary: 'The Irish call him God, he is not God, he is better than that!' In 2009 he was again on a losing side but he showed that you don't always have to win to be a hero. The way he took Danie Rossouw out was fearless and the way he put Jamie Roberts over the gainline was unforgettable.

12 Mike Gibson

Stuart Barnes says: 12 caps for the Lions, one of the smoothest and intelligent players we have seen wearing that shirt. He was one hell of a competitor.

11 Jason Robinson

Stuart Barnes says: Jason Robinson did not play as long in union as say JJ Williams but what an impact he made in 2001. He was part of a losing series but he was devastating. When he sidestepped Chris Latham at the Gabba to score in 2001 the place went crazy. It was one of the great Lions moments.

10 Barry John

Stuart Barnes says: The man they never stopped talking about in New Zealand. Barry John with his hand-off at the tail of the lineout, Barry John gliding with his collar up hither and thither - he was one of the poets of Welsh rugby and one of the greats.

9 Gareth Edwards

Stuart Barnes says: He played ten Test matches for the Lions and was just incredible. He turned the world of rugby upside down - a unique rugby player and in my view one of the greatest of all time. He was wonderful for Wales and even better for the Lions.

1 Ian McLaughlin

Stuart Barnes says: Mighty Mouse was ever present in those fantastic wins in New Zealand in 1971 and in South Africa in 1974. He was the aggressive scrummager who really put it to the kiwis and the Springboks.

2 Keith Wood

Stuart Barnes says: His performance in the first Test against Australia in 2001 was mesmeric - he was my man of the match that day. He was also outstanding throughout the series in 1997 when the Lions beat South Africa 2-1.

3 Fran Cotton

Stuart Barnes says: Who will ever forget that photograph of Fran; the giant swamp monster covered in mud coming to get the Springboks. And get them he did!

4 Martin Johnson

Stuart Barnes says: Johnson was the man Ian McGeechan appointed as captain in 1997 because Geech wanted a captain who could go eye to eye with Springbok captain Gary Teichmann. He was a brilliant captain and an outstanding Lion.

5 Willie John McBride

Stuart Barnes says: The legend grows and grows and grows. he played 17 Test for the British and Irish Lions - more than anyone else. He has led them to fights and led them to victory and is THE legend of the Lions.

6 Lawrence Dallaglio

Stuart Barnes says: One of the most familiar names of the modern era. He had his bad luck with the Lions - he had his injury in 2005 but he played some decent stuff in 2001 in Australia. However it was in 1997 where we remember Dallaglio. No.8 for England for most of his career, but on that series Tim Rodber played eight and Dallaglio played No.6. I don't think I have seen a better defensive display from Lawrence Dallaglio than in that second Test in Durban.

7 Fergus Slattery

Stuart Barnes says: In my view Slattery is one of the greats of Irish rugby. He played four Tests for the Lions and was crucial in helping the Lions win the big series in 1971 and in 1974.

8 Mervyn Davies

Stuart Barnes says: Merv the swerve. Played eight times for the Lions and won many of those. He was a great man, a hard man and a humble man. He will always be indelibly linked to Lions history.

Captain: Willie John McBride

Stuart Barnes says: He may not be an original choice but he is the obvious choice to lead this great team out
Gareth Thomas ?

BTW Ewis can i see what your Toulouse best ever XV is like ?

BTW Ewis can i see what your Toulouse best ever XV is like ?

hey Scotty. I'm afraid I can't do that, you see I started seriously watching Rugby late in my life, it's always been there but really watching, knowing the names and all, late. The farthest I can go in my Toulouse knowledge where I've actually watched games is the Cédric Heymans, Yannick Jauzion, Vincent Clerc, Thierry Dusautoir, William Servat era. I know of players of course who've played before that generation, but I'm in no capacity to make a Toulouse XV.

Let's see if FrenchFan sees this and has enough time to make a quick one. Or maybe somebody else ?

hey Scotty. I'm afraid I can't do that, you see I started seriously watching Rugby late in my life, it's always been there but really watching, knowing the names and all, late. The farthest I can go in my Toulouse knowledge where I've actually watched games is the Cédric Heymans, Yannick Jauzion, Vincent Clerc, Thierry Dusautoir, William Servat era. I know of players of course who've played before that generation, but I'm in no capacity to make a Toulouse XV.

Let's see if FrenchFan sees this and has enough time to make a quick one. Or maybe somebody else ?
or naw here. i'll make one and i'll ask if you agree

1. Omar Hasan
2. William Servat
3. Carl Hoeft
4. Patricio Albacete
5. Fabien Pelous
6. Aidan McCullen
7. Thierry Dusautoir
8. Finau Maka ?
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Luke McAlister
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca
12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Clément Poitrenaud
14. Vincent Clerc
15. Gareth Thomas

or naw here. i'll make one and i'll ask if you agree

1. Omar Hasan
2. William Servat
3. Carl Hoeft
4. Patricio Albacete
5. Fabien Pelous
6. Aidan McCullen
7. Thierry Dusautoir
8. Finau Maka ?
9. Byron Kelleher
10. Luke McAlister
11. Rupeni Caucaunibuca
12. Yannick Jauzion
13. Clément Poitrenaud
14. Vincent Clerc
15. Gareth Thomas

can't have Poitrenaud at 13, and no Denis Charvet, the man was amazing - search him out on youtube.

Also McAllister over Catignede? Kelleher over Elissade?

And no Emile N'Tamack? He's better Rupeni.