• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Teams/Country's Best XV

you've picked the right tense, my friend ! :p

Can you imagine France had their worst 5N in a long time, then lost to Italy, Tonga and got pulverized by NZ in a test that year before that semifinal ?
No, not surprised at all. The Brits have always said: which French team will turn up today? The semi and final in 1999 exemplified the polar opposites of the French national team. And the use of the past tense was where I am with French rugby. Watching the Top 14 nowadays makes me wonder where the great open play has gone to. It's become so forward dominated. And it's not just me who think so. My French colleagues born in the early 50's like me, despair at how the game has progressed. Nowadays, the best domestic comp is the ITM Cup in NZ, which is a pleasure to watch. The play-offs in that comp were great this year.

My French colleagues born in the early 50's like me, despair at how the game has progressed.

You do not have to be French to despair at that.......the introduction of RL Defence coaches into Union has destroyed the open game in the NH and turned it into quasi League with its bish bash bosh!!!!!

But that is progress they tell me.....

Highlanders XV
1.) Carl Hoeft
2.) Anton Oliver
3.) Carl Hayman
4.) Brad Thorn
5.) Simon Maling
6.) Josh Kronfeld
7.) Taine Randell
8.) Adam Thomson
9.) Byron Kelleher
10.) Tony Brown
11.) Jeff Wilson
12.) Ma'a Nonu
13.) Malakai Fekitoa
14.) Romi Ropati
15.) Ben Smith

any changes ?

Weird

6 Thompson
7 Kronfield
8 Randell

Would be better

11 Gear
14 Wilson

Donnelly in for Mailing,

thanks Nick,

here's a brumbies xv do you agree ?
1.) Bill Young
2.) Jeremy Paul
3.) Ben Alexander
4.) David Giffin
5.) Owen Finegan
6.) George Smith
7.) David Pocock
8.) Ben Mowen
9.) George Gregan
10.) Stephen Larkham
11.) Clyde Rathbone
12.) Matt Giteau
13.) Stirling Mortlock
14.) Adam Ashley-Cooper
15.) Joe Roff

I'd go with Andrew Walker over Rathbone, but can't disagree with the others. I think I'd have roff on the wing and walker at fullback. Maybe sleight could be in there but it's tough to say cause he's injured so often and hasn't had much time at international level yet

Last edited:
Highlanders XV
1.) Carl Hoeft
2.) Anton Oliver
3.) Carl Hayman
4.) Brad Thorn
5.) Simon Maling
6.) Josh Kronfeld
7.) Taine Randell
8.) Adam Thomson
9.) Byron Kelleher
10.) Tony Brown
11.) Jeff Wilson
12.) Ma'a Nonu
13.) Malakai Fekitoa
14.) Romi Ropati
15.) Ben Smith

any changes ?

Well, all your loose forwards are in the wrong positions. 6. Adam Thomson, 7. Josh Kronfeld, 8. Taine Randell would make much more sense. Jeff Wilson on the right wing. Not sure Ma'a Nonu should be there based on his one season of horrific form for them. I'd be more inclined to have someone like Mark Ellis. I'd say Hosea Gear is 1000x better than Ropati, I'd also chuck Brian Lima in there over him. I'd also take Kees Meeuws anyday over Carl Hoft.

You do not have to be French to despair at that.......the introduction of RL Defence coaches into Union has destroyed the open game in the NH and turned it into quasi League with its bish bash bosh!!!!!

But that is progress they tell me.....
Yes, understand where you're coming from, but that doesn't explain why New Zealand can produce such wonderful players and teams. In the NH there seems to be an awful lot of aimless kicking, whereas in Aus and NZ they're much more likely to run it back. At least that's my perception. An Irish friend said to me not so long ago that Super 15 is more like touch and pass, but how do you explain 7 World Cups and 6 SH wins? They must be doing something right. Yes, I was brought up on League and make no apologies for that, but I, along with many others, have issues with the game because basically if you go back 50 years, League is a different game to what it is now. The rule makers have dumbed down the game whereby there's even a magazine called Rugby League Journal which extols the game as it was rather than what we have now.

Yes, understand where you're coming from, but that doesn't explain why New Zealand can produce such wonderful players and teams. In the NH there seems to be an awful lot of aimless kicking, whereas in Aus and NZ they're much more likely to run it back. At least that's my perception.

I have heard many different commentators and pundits, who have more knowledge than I, say that the fallacy is that the SH teams do not kick, they do but they just kick better!!!

ALL BLACKS GREATEST XV

FORWARDS:
1. OLO BROWN
2. KEVIN MEALAMU
3. TONY WOODCOCK
4. BRODIE RETALLICK
5. SAM WHITELOCK
6. MICHAEL JONES
7. RICHIE McCAW
8. KIERAN READ

BACKS:
9. JUSTIN MARSHALL
10. DAN CARTER
11.JONAH LOMU
12. MA'A NONU
13. TANA UMAGA
14. JEFF WILSON
15. CHRISTIAN CULLEN

BENCH:
16. BEAUDEN BARRETT
17. AARON SMITH
18. CONRAD SMITH
19. JOSH KRONFELD
20. BRAD THORN
21. OWEN FRANKS
22. DANE COLES

Last edited:
Wales:

1. Charlie Faulkner
2. Bobby Windsor
3. Graham Price
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Bob Norster
6. Colin Charvis
7. Sam Warburton
8. Scott Quinnell

9. Gareth Edwards
10. Phil Bennett
11. Shane Williams
12. Gavin Henson
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Gerald Davies
15. JPR Williams

16. Bryn Meredith
17. Gethin Jenkins
18. Adam Jones
19. Gareth Llewelyn
20. Martyn Williams
21. Robert Howley
22. Jonathan Davies
23. Scott Gibbs

Last edited:
Wales:

1. Charlie Faulkner
2. Bobby Windsor
3. Graham Price
4. Alun Wyn Jones
5. Bob Norster
6. Colin Charvis
7. Sam Warburton
8. Scott Quinnell

9. Gareth Edwards
10. Phil Bennett
11. Shane Williams
12. Gavin Henson
13. Jonathan Davies
14. Gerald Davies
15. JPR Williams

16. Bryn Meredith
17. Gethin Jenkins
18. Adam Jones
19. Gareth Llewelyn
20. Martyn Williams
21. Robert Howley
22. Jonathan Davies
23. Scott Gibbs

Great Welsh team. Jonathan Davies pushed out to centre? I saw him play for Wales against my province Taranaki in 1988. Great player. Legendary team.

Great Welsh team. Jonathan Davies pushed out to centre? I saw him play for Wales against my province Taranaki in 1988. Great player. Legendary team.

Sadly I could only find a place on the bench for 'that' Jonathan Davies... but yeah he was awesome..
especially for such a small guy.

That is a ridiculously good Welsh team, nice shout to include Llewellyn on the bench. Proper nails and underrated IMO. 1988-2009, managed to stay relevant in an uncompromising physical position at the top of the game during the transition too, what a career.

Last edited:

Latest posts