• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Rugby Championship: New Zealand - South Africa (15/09/2012)

Jantjies is talking to WP, Natal and Bulls about a transfer so who knows... I feel WP can use him better than we can. We have Lambie already. If Jantjies joins the Sharks, Lambie is off to France for sure!

I want to play Lambie at standoff, but I also don't want WP to have Jantjies ;)

We need positives, Heineken is right!
I suppose I can be pleased that I don't need to write a new team analysis for this week.

WP could use Jantjies, I wouldn't complain. Who do you guys think our Captain will be next year? I'm slightly worried that JdV is going to be the next John Smit...

WP could use Jantjies, I wouldn't complain. Who do you guys think our Captain will be next year? I'm slightly worried that JdV is going to be the next John Smit...

If he is 2007 John Smit than you should be set. :)
For a few years there, John was a great captain and a true leader; a very accomplished individual whom I regard with the utmost respect.

Whatever you do, don't appoint a back row as captain (looking at your injury record). JdV is the most likely candidate. Bekker if he can return to form and stay fit.

New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Cory Jane, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Ma'a Nonu, 11 Julian Savea, 10 Aaron Cruden, 9 Piri Weepu, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw (captain), 6 Liam Messam, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Luke Romano, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Tony Woodcock
Replacements: 16 Keven Mealamu, 17 Charlie Faumuina, 18 Brodie Retallick, 19 Victor Vito, 20 Aaron Smith, 21 Beauden Barrett, 22 Tamati Ellison

Weepu starting, no Ben Smith... Could be interesting.

No Ben smith is a surprise. So much for no rotation (?).

Either way, Darwin is probably on his way to Mr. Hansen's residence now...

Hmmm..... Not to happy to see Weepu starting at all (though I did suspect it would be the case) - I hope he proves me wrong though! Happy to see Hore starting at hooker (mainly as out hookers are old men so need to have the odd rest!), and though I probably would have preferred Retallick, I'm still pretty happy with Whitelock. Interesting to see Faumuina has been preferred over B Franks again on the bench, which may suggest he has surpassed him in the AB's pecking order. I'm very surprised not to see Ben Smith on the bench - perhaps it has something to do with the rumor I started yesterday that he was on his way to the Reds ;)

Watch out Darwin, people have pulled these stunts of TRF before and rustled some online reporters jimmies.
George Ford to Toulouse, anybody?

Hmmm..... Not to happy to see Weepu starting at all (though I did suspect it would be the case) - I hope he proves me wrong though! Happy to see Hore starting at hooker (mainly as out hookers are old men so need to have the odd rest!), and though I probably would have preferred Retallick, I'm still pretty happy with Whitelock. Interesting to see Faumuina has been preferred over B Franks again on the bench, which may suggest he has surpassed him in the AB's pecking order. I'm very surprised not to see Ben Smith on the bench - perhaps it has something to do with the rumor I started yesterday that he was on his way to the Reds ;)
You can only blame yourself, then. :p

...can we have Ben ANd Thomo back for Otago?.....

once again though smith doesn't get a proper chance to prove hmself (does nothing wrong though) and gets the flick....

...can we have Ben ANd Thomo back for Otago?.....

once again though smith doesn't get a proper chance to prove hmself (does nothing wrong though) and gets the flick....

I would be surprised if we don't see one (or both) of them back either against Counties this Saturday, or at least on Tuesday vs North Harbour, as both are in need of game-time.

I'm not happy with Weepu starting and Ellison in the reserves... Nothing against Ellison, I just think it's a bit harsh on Ben Smith. Likewise, it's a bit strange Retalick being dropped straight back to the bench, maybe it's just an experience thing?

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/aaron-smith-benched-all-blacks-after-protocol-breach-5078071

Interesting.

So if the changes are form-related; what did Ben Smith do/not do and what did Ellison do to warrant this?

It is interesting, I thought they might have been giving Aaron Smith a rest, due to how much time he's played, and only having two half backs in the squad. Maybe they fell Ellison's style of play is better suited to combat the Boks ... he certainly could use some test game time.

So the way to beat the boks on a dry fast pitch is to slow the game down by having Weepu there? Nightmare.

So the way to beat the boks on a dry fast pitch is to slow the game down by having Weepu there? Nightmare.
Yep.

I understand having Weepu in a slow, sloppy, ground. BUt this is as good as we get in NZ for a dome. And everyone knows domes favour quick, attacking styles - in pretty much any ball sport.

I was going to put vcash on NZ but I just couldn't do it :p, so I put 100 on SA instead :D.

Anyway despite starting weepu? NZ should still take this comfortably, one bad selection doesn't really compare with our four.
Not that I'm trying to say we'd beat the All Blacks with the correct selection but still.

I'd love to see the Boks put up a fight and I'd love to see Johan Goosen and Lambie get 20 minutes this time. Other than that no real expectations.

I know NZ are favorites to win... but i hope the Saffas win... I just put 100 on em!

like the changes apart from dropping ben smith, I'd say on form he should even be ahead of Cory Jane

I thought it being in Otago we would see more of the southern guys, Hone is the only highlander starting.

I think I'd start the all the smiths and bring Thomson onto the bench, though that move would drop the physical edge of Vito so maybe not. Am a bit surprised Thomson has not had a showing yet

ALL Blacks squad for this weekens:

Starting XV:
1. Tony Woodcock (88)
2. Andrew Hore (68)
3. Owen Franks (37)
4. Luke Romano (4)
5. Samuel Whitelock (31)
6. Liam Messam (13)
7. Richie McCaw - captain (109)
8. Kieran Read (41)
9. Piri Weepu (62)
10. Aaron Cruden (13)