• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RLWC Final 2013 - Australia vs. New Zealand

Australia were way too good today. Thurston put in one of the best individual displays I've ever seen. He was mercurial. I think it took until the 76th minute for New Zealand to tackle him. I thought that the scoreline was harsh and doesn't reflect the fact that they are actually two evenly matched teams but Australia wanted it today, and they used revenge as their main motivation.

Fair play to them, it sticks in the throat because I can't stick them, but they are a class above and to not concede a try in 5 games and counting is just insane. They were fantastic today and deserve to go home with the trophy.

Australia were way too good today. Thurston put in one of the best individual displays I've ever seen. He was mercurial. I think it took until the 76th minute for New Zealand to tackle him. I thought that the scoreline was harsh and doesn't reflect the fact that they are actually two evenly matched teams but Australia wanted it today, and they used revenge as their main motivation.

Fair play to them, it sticks in the throat because I can't stick them, but they are a class above and to not concede a try in 5 games and counting is just insane. They were fantastic today and deserve to go home with the trophy.

Exactly my thoughts as well. Just so dominant from the Kangaroos, their defence was absolutely impeccable. Only England was able to crack it at all over the whole RLWC, no disrespect to NZ fans who more than earned their way to the deciding game but I can't help but wonder whether we might have had a better final had England got here, perhaps the home support and the occasion may have afforded us a better finish...it's a moot point now anyways.

Kind of surprsied how many people went with the Kiwis, in many of my picking pools and competetions(Finished in the top 1% of players in all of them!!! :D ) it was around 60% of people backed NZ, I know they had a decent side, but Oz are a dream team....will we ever see a backline that magical again?

Overall I think that like 2008 this will have to go down as a fairly succesful event, the opening round was absolutely cracking and the NZ vs. England semi ws one of League's greatest games. Crowd sizes were fantatstic as well people went to minnow games in greater numbers than I would have imagined. Organizers have to keep the pools seperate for the time being, the minnows being split from the bigger eight worked briliantly.I really hope Canada can qualify for the next event, would love to see some of our top guys on this stage and judging from the Tomahawks run, I think we could hold our own at least at the pool level.

Last edited:
I have no doubt that England would have given more of a game today. I don't think they'd have won, but I think it would have been much closer. And they'd have been getting roared on by 70,000+ people which would have added to the spectacle.

I was convinced the Kiwis would win but as soon as Tuivasa-Sheck went off, I had the feeling it would be Australia's day. One interchange down after three minutes isn't good news. The Kiws were bruised and battered.

I think that the tournament has been a massive, massive success. The crowds are testament to that. It's not perfect because the formula needs to be tinkered with to stop washout quarter finals, but it's a growing tournament. This blows 2008 out of the water.

Wasn't a big fan of the final - far too one sided for me, as a neutral.
Australia were well deserved winners - as TRF_Saints says, Thurston had a bloody good game.

The Australian kicking game was a step above anything the kiwis had to offer, and their defence was out of this world. Every time the Kiwis looked to run the ball they were met with 3-4 Kangaroo defenders. It was ridiculous how good they were at keeping their shape/defensive line.

I was watching Cronk and Thurston warm up as they were right in front of me. Every single kick they made, from the half way line, stopped on the goal-line. It was remarkable. I have Thurston down as the best individual display I've ever seen in the flesh. I'm still thinking but at the moment I can't think of anyone playing better. He was absolutely magnificent, I don't throw praise out often and I praise Australians even less, but that was a seriously, seriously amazing performance.

Gutted for SBW, would have loved to see him get another WC medal (all be it in another sport).

Australia today were clinical beyond. Stopped the NZ game and kept SBW quiet all game.

That's about as impressive a display as you'll see in a game of footy; Australia were just out of this world and some of the tries they scored were just incredible. NZ were always going to be up against it with such a freakish attacking unit where pretty well every player in the backline is capable of creating something from virtually any play, but that was still an incredible display. Thurston and Cronk both executed pin point kicks every time, and Hayne played out of his skin in the centres with NZ seeming to focus all their energy on Inglis.

Just arrived back on time to follow the final from the sofa with a bit of a jetlag. Really enjoyed it, AUS were the better team.

We were just terrible - as much as the Kangaroos dominated - we didn't give them too much to worry about. After last weeks match, we should've known that trying to bully a forward pack doesn't work. They just owned the Ruck area.

Unfortunately for Johnson, most people will remember last weeks heroic last play rather than the actual 79 minutes of poor kicking/defensive displays. He was caught out again today. We really missed Benji or Thomas to help out Foran.

I thought there were some terrible selections and we paid the price. I'm hoping Kearney steps away, he got us closer but after years of being closer - we're capable of being better.

Hopefully my displeasure didn't take away from the Kangaroo performance - they were simply Awesome. Great planning/defensive and drive and coaching from the AUS players and as a QLD supporter - I'm partially glad that Thurston gets everything he deserves. He's a hell of a player.

I thought the Kiwis would win but anyone that follows League knows whos the best. The Roos have a brilliant complete brand of Rugby League and the final was fitting and a fair indicator of the consistent gap between the 2 sides, 'cos how many times have we seen the Roos beat the Kiwis convincingly?

The Kiwis are a great side who can beat the Roos but the Roos are the greatest. They do the little things so well and they play as a team but in the event that they're in a close game they can go to their go-to-man which is...all of them!

Now that I seen that final, I cant help but think that maybe England/Australia wouldve been a better final.

Oh well, hard luck Kiwis, too much Roos.

34-2 ?! Damn, them League Wallabies were ridiculously good this year or what ? NZ won the last WC...just saw the highlights, beautiful stuff from the Kangaroos. It's incredible to me a nation could beat New Zealand 34-2 in a World Cup Final of any form of Rugby !!!...

34-2 ?! Damn, them League Wallabies were ridiculously good this year or what ? NZ won the last WC...just saw the highlights, beautiful stuff from the Kangaroos. It's incredible to me a nation could beat New Zealand 34-2 in a World Cup Final of any form of Rugby !!!...

Just google the Kangaroos - the wikipedia entry alone will show you how dominant they are at this form of the sport. Agreed - it was beautiful from the Aussies and just the tries alone showed the difference between the quality of the teams.

Eh?

I think you'll find it's just the limitations of playing the final at Old Trafford.

Ignore him.

Despite the tourney obviously being a successful one, I would argue that for getting people to watch it was not. It was a missed opportunity not to air the games on free to view or at least Sky but instead on Premier Sports which you have to pay a subscription. It meant that I couldn't really watch any of the games. Frustrating but it was more than made up by being able to watch the England vs. NZ game and that of the final. Makes me hungry to watch another league game live and continue watching the NRL. Just a pity that the little hype of Wales being the underdogs and a team to watch was sadly not there. Much work to be done.

Just google the Kangaroos - the wikipedia entry alone will show you how dominant they are at this form of the sport. Agreed - it was beautiful from the Aussies and just the tries alone showed the difference between the quality of the teams.

yeah I know, but fk... 34-2 against NZ, the reigning champs, in a Final ??...that's pure domination, I don't watch League but it necessarily means they were head and shoulders above NZ on both offense and defense. Just remove the scrum and the Aussies are a happy bunch I guess !

Rob, I was surprised at Wales' abject failure. They were atrocious.

yeah I know, but fk... 34-2 against NZ, the reigning champs, in a Final ??...that's pure domination, I don't watch League but it necessarily means they were head and shoulders above NZ on both offense and defense. Just remove the scrum and the Aussies are a happy bunch I guess !

Well, yeah. It's not entirely suprising. In the NRL there are 16 professional teams, one of which is a New Zealand team - their only professional team. There are New Zealander's that play for other clubs of course but the interest, infrastructure and support really aren't comparable. Yes we won in 2008, but you'll be hard pressed to find a New Zealander that didn't feel like we stole a RWC off Australia as opposed to winning it via being the best in the world. No country is as invested in League as Australia.

England have the set up to be second - but there always seems to be a certain flair or creativity missing. Not to sound obnoxious but I feel it's similar in Union. Produce some great athletes who are happy as pigs in sh*t to bash it up, but don't often produce the guys to put people in spaces.

Latest posts