Straight Edge
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
St Helens
Venue: Wembley Stadium
Time: 1pm
TV: BBC Sports/Premier Sport

England will look to avenge their 2008 heartache at the same stage against the eventual world champions New Zealand in the first semi final. The hosts will need to improve after a sluggish quarter final win over France at Wigan on Saturday.

Big crowd is expected which is excellent news.

If both teams could play 7 times a week, I think they'd both have 3 wins each with game 7 going to whoevers day it is.

Apparently Chase has been dropped for Widdop. I've not followed league closely for a few years now, so the answer might be obvious, but why have they given Chase so many games to prove himself (or play himself into form)? Big change to make for this match.

Looking forward to this - should be a cracking match! I actually expect it to be a bit like the All Blacks v England match last week; England will put pressure on in the forwards, but ultimately the Kiwis will have too much class all over the park.

Yeah this is the game I've most been looking forward to and was my prediction of what would come out in the semi. On pure talent I might favour NZ slightly but England wil have the home crowd and probably an edge in the forwards. Anyones game I think I picked Kiwi's by 2 on superbru but that was a flip of the coin. I only hope that this game dosen't knock out or exhaust a whole bunch of the winnng teams players before the final, Oz are likely to get much less of a challenge from Fiji.

I don't think England will win today, I think the Kiwis have got too much for them in the backs. In the forwards it's pretty even (although SBW is better than anything we have) but I think the Kiwis win every battle other than full back. 7 particularly. Widdop plays at 6 instead of Chase, who has had a very poor tournament. I think it will be a close game for a while but New Zealand will have enough to get over the line.

Whoever wins, they'll be battle ready for next week, because it's going to be a tough game. But I think the Kiwis - just about.

So far, theres nothing much between the 2 teams. Loughlin and Slammin Sam are my pick of the fowards so far.

Only got back from work at quarter past so missed the first 50ish mins but this has been a bloody good game for the last 15.

England have upped their game massively.

Sam Burgess try!

Wembley turf is causing a few problems - seem a few players slipping on it.

Last edited:
Cracking game, they'll be some bums on the edge of the seats in the final five here!!!

Pressure kick to win the game..........and he wins it for NZ.

Nooooooooooo, oh how heartbreaking for England fans, and spoils a home final for the neutrals, wow just wow.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, insane.
Pre-game I would've snapped your arm off to lose by only 2pts, but watching that...so bloody close!

It was that penalty on SBW that killed it.for England. Massive game both teams

Mental bloody finish to the match! Can't believe England lost it ... really didn't need to rush up like that with 20 seconds to go. England probably played better over-all, just choked at the end.

40metres out, NZs on their 3rd tackle and England give away a penalty by a foward shorter than SBW head highing Sonny. He didnt need to go for Sonnys head, he was well tackled

Heartbreak for England but it's all self inflicted. You cannot give away that many penalties and expect to come out of it the other end with your nose in front. Even in the last sixty seconds, they had to give a penalty away. And if they don't concede it, they will probably win because the Kiwis were some way out.

It was a fantastic advert for the sport though, absolutely loved watching it. It was a pleasure.

But England have come no further than 2008 - nothing will change until the RFL do.

Your absolutely correct Saint, if SBW doesnt get head highed, they make their tackles with the Kiwis going for a bomb or repeat set.
England woulda won
Sam Burgess is the best prop in the world at the moment.

Latest posts