• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Reds v British and Irish Lions (08/06/13)

Did not realise Gray was even on the pitch until notice him going into the post injury break scrum...............must be having a great game!!

Commentators just said he has one of the top tackle counts this game. He has been everywhere hitting rucks making tackles. YOu won't notice him doing the flash but you'll see him doing the best locks job on the tour so far!

That try exemplifies what is wrong with the defence today......they were not awake for the third quick go on the trot and were suckered into a blitz defence leaving acres of space.......lots to put right but too many lapses in concentration!!

Gray shouldn't be ob this tourlet alone start.

It's infuriating watching the Lions, they don't learn that a break in the game is not an excuse to let your guard down. They are getting caught napping again and again but they aren't learning. The Reds reorganise with speed whilst the Lions are just lumbering around and so slow. You can't keep walking back in defence, you need to get back in position as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
....time for some manic aggression.
Plenty of that from the crowd...must be a lot of soccer supporters in!!

Seen more diving today than in the whole of the Olympics and the "gate" rule does not apply.....so many coming in from the side. Afraid the laissez-faire attitude of Mr Garces is allowing this to turn into a bit of, dare I say it, Super Rugby...................

Pluses---Youngs B, North, and Vunipola....also for Halfpenny as Hogg and Kearney surely not in the running?

Minuses - the Defence, Cuthbert, Bowe (unfortunate injury and probably out by the sound of it), Tuilagi (injury) Hogg.

flattering scoreline for the Reds, congratulations.
A positive match for the Lions, I think this is a bit of a wake-up call, better to have a mediocre game now before the Wallabies than during...

4 Gray
5 O'Conn
10 Sexton
11 Bowe
13 BOD
14 North
15 1/2 Penny

The teams starting to come together! That back row on does not work right now.

Vunipola in at 1

Jones starting with Cole coming on is borderline orgasmic

The referee Garces had a poor game - inconsistent refereeing of the breakdown favoured the Lions. A number of key penalties were awarded to the Lions after legitimate breakdown defence from the Reds. Most SH referees would have awarded those penalties to the Reds and not the Lions. Aside from the dominant Lions scrum, and poor Reds lineout, I thought it was an even game.

The ref ruled a few breakdowns (incorrectly) in favour of the Reds too, it went both ways.

Two penalties which led to penalty goals (at the end of both halves) were incorrectly awarded to the Lions. Inconsistent refereeing of the breakdown at key points ! Frustrating ! Otherwise, the Reds may have had a fair crack at evening up the deficiencies. They played far too much from inside their own 22. Perhaps that was because of their weakness in the lineout. A competent set of lineout forwards would have allowed the backs to utilise the space on the pitch better.

Test side probables : Vunipola, North, Bowe (if fit), POC.

Midweek Probables: Davis, Cuthburt and most likely Hogg.

Two penalties which led to penalty goals (at the end of both halves) were incorrectly awarded to the Lions. Inconsistent refereeing of the breakdown at key points ! Frustrating ! Otherwise, the Reds may have had a fair crack at evening up the deficiencies. They played far too much from inside their own 22. Perhaps that was because of their weakness in the lineout. A competent set of lineout forwards would have allowed the backs to utilise the space on the pitch better.

Just remember, there was maybe what, 3? 4? Forward passes not seen by the ref?

Faletau hasn't impressed me one bit, neither has Warburton but Lydiate I think is still going very strong.
Scrum + set piece was better than I anticipated - very surprised Gatland left it so late to bring on the subs, especially when clearly Vunipola and Stevens were getting very tired and prone to injury. Stupid decision.
Cuthbert having lapses in defense again which is disappointed, although North and Bowe were fantastic - lets hope the injury isn't as bad as expected.

6: Lydiate or Croft (depending on game plan)
7: Tipuric
8: Heaslip

Sub: O'Brien
^ Surely it has to be that?

Scrum half will depend on who plays 6 or 8. If Croft or S'OB plays 6 With heaslip than youngs should start as SOB and Heaslip will Love coming on at pace to his draw the defender and pop. (like He did with Farrell). If Lydiate or Toby F start then it will be Phillips.

just got back from the game the atmosphere was ecstatic (better than the wc games i went too) suncorp is such a fantastic ground! that first half was one the most exciting halfs of rugby i have seen. The reds really played like they had nothing to lose and the quick taps form our 22 were so exciting to watch is there a more entertaining player than quade cooper? surely even thoa he did not play the "test match" footy deans wants from his players he has done enough to get picked in the add players.

Just watching the post match interviews..had to go out....thought Cooper and Ben Youngs spoke very well....not been my favourite players but certainly Youngs is coming up on the rails for the test!

Latest posts