• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

RBS 6 Nations - England vs Ireland - 17/03/2012 - 17:00

I read the Guardian and I don't vote Lib Dem/ never have done.

It's a good paper, much like the Telegraph is a good paper - good writing, good variety of coverage, generally a positive influence (unlike any tabloids) and the news bits are well-reported. The opinions section will obviously offer the more partisan views, but in general they're well-argued and balanced (again contrasting with any ​tabloids) even if you don't agree with all/ some/ any of them.

From what i've read from said English broadsheets over the years, they're generally well balanced but something will slip through the cracks now and then. Nothing can be done about that. The problem comes with the sports journalists, not so much with the columnists but with the guys with the daily reports who soeem to be nothing but wind-uo merchants with a talent for selective quoting in the article and misquoting in the Headlines.

KEARNEY SAYS THAT IRELAND ARE DEFINTELY SEVEN MILLION TIMES BETTER THAN ENGLISH GOBSITES:

Rob Kearney says something along the lines of "yeah, we've probably a better team at the moment, given we've beaten them 7 of 8 times (forgot the WC warm-up)...we're hoping it stays that way"...

Comment section: "Irish people are racists and bigots, we won the WC 10 years ago and are 4th in the World Rankings (we're hence a mllion times better than Wales)"

Irish person says: "LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE"....

Seriouisly though....those comments. It's like sniffing horrible smell...it's horrible, but I just can't stop.

EDIT: The Ferris comment was obviously stupid, but that they've made anything out of the Kearney interview is amazing. If it weren't for Ferris yesterday, I think this would have gone completely under the radar.

Webber's out injured apparently and Mears is the other hooker in the squad so i guess it makes sense. He's played well for Bath when he's played this season
Hadn't seen that Webber was injured, just seen he has to have surgery on his shoulder though, which is crappy for him (and Wasps!).

Mears makes sense, as you said, because he's the only other in the squad, but I'd take either of the Quins guys over him, and that young Sarries guy whose name escapes me.

Hadn't seen that Webber was injured, just seen he has to have surgery on his shoulder though, which is crappy for him (and Wasps!).

Mears makes sense, as you said, because he's the only other in the squad, but I'd take either of the Quins guys over him, and that young Sarries guy whose name escapes me.

Oh the chubby one Jamie George

Interesting you compare it to tabloids, I see them as 1 and the same for pretentious, left of centre rags with a penchant for sensationalism and scaremongering.

But each to their own.
Have you ever read the guardian ? or do you just get told by the daily mail that it is communist propaganda and will give you cancer

From RFU.com
England team to face Ireland

a) Mears? Really?
b) Ashton? Really?!

I think the bottom of your post was cut off:
c)Strettle? Really?
d)Youngs? Really? No Seriously? Are you ******** me?

(I would have added Stevens too but he went a whole 10 mins without giving away a pen last week)

Blah, mixed feelings about the squads Lancaster keeps naming. Seems as if his selections are much better than MJ's, but still feel a little underwhelmed by his EPS and matchday bench, as well as wingers (especially considering we have a ridiculous amount of depth and talent here) and lack of an openside. Hopefully he'll keep a backbone of the team and try new things in the remaining positions over the course of the next year (if he gets the job).

Still a little worried that our tries are mostly coming from broken field running and individual contributions rather than worked moves and pressure from territory. Until we can do that, we'll struggle to break the defensive lines of Wales/SANZAR.

Not many decent choices left, and he seems like he may be responding to being dropped from the XV: he had a decent game for the Tigers recently, doing the basics pretty well, and some lovely box kicks. Though he should only come on if Dickson is injured at this point.

Last edited:
I think the bottom of your post was cut off:
c)Strettle? Really?

(I would have added Stevens too but he went a whole 10 mins without giving away a pen last week)
I only mentioned the surprises.
Strettle > Ashton, so Sharples should start for Ashton.
K. Dickson was never going to be involved, he was just there to make up the numbers, so I'm not surprised to see Youngs on the bench (as depressing as that is).

Ashton made a game changing midfield hit. Sharples did bugger all. It's the right decision. Some of the choices might be uninspiring, but I can't see what should be done differently for this game without tearing up a lot of what's been done.

Tbh, Sharples shouldn't be involved at this point. He's out of form and being asked to play on the wrong wing for him. He should be allowed to regain form and be given a crack on his natural side. That he was involved was imo an error of judgement from Lancaster.

Regards the 2 lads comments. I know people will say media making a big story out of nothing but the lads have to be smart and know this and be careful of their words.
As in be simple and say usual England are going well and should be respected and have very good players bla bla.....

The usual stuff and not be giving the opposition dressing room wall ammo

People who read the Guardian are people who vote Lib Dem.

Sicne the independent went downhill, labour voters have had to take refuge in the Guardian, one of few quality papers left. Times is a Murdoch paper and is leaning too-far right, whilst The Telegraph has always been the Torygraph. Guardians all we gots left.

Also, let's not be too hard on Ferris. He's trying to wind England up, which is fairenough. Last year when Foden said that the Welsh need to be put in their place, my first reaction was what a t*t, but again, it's just pointless pre-match rubbish and not to be taken too seriously.

As a competitive rugby player, I'm sure Ferris would be the first to admit that he hates losing. Any quality international player should hate it, or else not bother being there.

Last edited:
Sicne the independent went downhill, labour voters have had to take refuge in the Guardian, one of few quality papers left. Times is a Murdoch paper and is leaning too-far right, whilst The Telegraph has always been the Torygraph. Guardians all we gots left. Hit the nail on the head

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3820_7596170,00.html

Most tackles missed:
England -39
Most line breaks: Ireland - 18
Most possession kicked: England - 106

Most of Ireland's line breaks probably come from kicked possession so if there's any sense in England's gameplan there'll be less of that.

Looking forward to this now. Should be cracking match and even if we lose, I'm happy to say this is an England team that I wouldn't mind (as much) losing to.

From RFU.com
England team to face Ireland

15 Ben Foden (Northampton Saints)
14 Chris Ashton (Northampton Saints)
13 Manusamoa Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers)
12 Brad Barritt (Saracens)
11 David Strettle (Saracens)
10 Owen Farrell (Saracens)
9 Lee Dickson (Northampton Saints)
1 Alex Corbisiero (London Irish)
2 Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints)
3 Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers)
4 Mouritz Botha (Saracens)
5 Geoff Parling (Leicester Tigers)
6 Tom Croft (Leicester Tigers)
7 Chris Robshaw (Harlequins, capt)
8 Ben Morgan (Scarlets)

Replacements

16 Lee Mears (Bath Rugby)
17 Matt Stevens (Saracens)
18 Tom Palmer (Stade Francais)
19 Phil Dowson (Northampton Saints)
20 Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers)
21 Charlie Hodgson (Saracens)
22 Mike Brown (Harlequins)

a) Mears? Really?
b) Ashton? Really?!

omg a team of old people would beat that england side lol..

omg a team of old people would beat that england side lol..

132518576775.jpg

Last edited: