• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Premiership Rugby 23/24 - Rd 6

Looking forward to seeing a muppet banned for life and more details to be released. This is horrid stuff and it's demeaning for certain individuals to use it as 'proof' that Exeter is somehow a racist club.
So Exeter have been through the footage, found the guy and passed information on to the police - he's a South African (early 40s, mixed race) on holiday in England.

I know for 100% sure that they've got the wrong guy.
If we learnt anything from the RWC, it's that South Africans simply cannot be racist - especially non-white South Africans. Presumably, Ugo misheard something shouted in Africaans - probably means "I'm thirsty" or something equally innocent.

Surely world rugby will intervene to stop this which hunt. Poor poor South Africa rugby. Always made out to be the bad guys, despite being having racist players (and fans) and cheating coaches, it's never their fault.

Although I shouldn't assume he's South African, I guess he could be 'Scottish' if he was born in South Africa but in the UK.

Listened to Egg Chasers podcast and they talked around the events that happened and the tweet. Is Ugo deliberately trying to bend the truth with his statement?

Is he trying to sensationalise the incident?
Trying to cover his tracks for being unprofessional?
Trying to besmirch Exeter?
Trying to play a rugby is racist agenda for his own benefit?

Or just forgot to mention some key key facts about the person, the event and the people who tried to help?

I love a mild conspiracy but this does seem odd that Ugo tweeted what he did. Doesn't seem very honest in retrospect.

I've no time for the eggchasers - care to break it down for us?

What key facts about the person who said this would make the use of an unacceptable word acceptable?
What information to the eggchasers have that the rest of us don't (currently)?

What key facts about the person who said this would make the use of an unacceptable word acceptable?
What information to the eggchasers have that the rest of us don't (currently)?
Please re read my post as I didn't talk anywhere about it being acceptable although some people of colour seem to think it's ok to use the N word and others not but in my mind that word is always unacceptable.

The point of my post is quite evident, trying to understand if Ugo has deliberately tried to make this issue into something it wasn't.

Key facts that he missed, Exeter did report the issue, security were there, people did intervene, the abuser was mixed race with a black girl friend there, the abuser was South African.

His tweet reads like it was an Exeter fan (which it wasn't) and no one did anything to help (which they did), so by inference all Exeter fans that stood by were racists. He words it as to ensure he'll get a sensationalist response and I wonder if that is deliberate to fit his narrative or if it wasn't deliberate.

He owes an apology to the fans that did step in to help and the security and he possible owes one to Exeter in the way he worded the tweet to besmirch the Exeter fans.

Just interesting to see what comes of this 'rugby is racist' narrative we hear.

Please re read my post as I didn't talk anywhere about it being acceptable although some people of colour seem to think it's ok to use the N word and others not but in my mind that word is always unacceptable.
My apologies, I think I read (far) more into "bend the truth" and "sensationalise the incident" than was there. Possibly also conflating with responses of other posters on other rugby boards.
That's 100% my bad.
The point of my post is quite evident, trying to understand if Ugo has deliberately tried to make this issue into something it wasn't.
In what way?
Key facts that he missed, Exeter did report the issue, security were there, people did intervene, the abuser was mixed race with a black girl friend there, the abuser was South African.
The first would be key facts if factual - What information to the eggchasers have that the rest of us don't (currently)?
What relevance is there that the abuser was mixed race? what relevance is there that the abuser's girlfriend is black and present? What relevance is there that the abuser was South African (beyond the obvious impossibility of South Africans being racist, of course).
Would all of those supposed facts have been known to Ugo in the heat of the moment?
A] His tweet reads like it was an Exeter fan (which it wasn't) and no one did anything to help (which they did), B] so by inference all Exeter fans that stood by were racists. C] He words it as to ensure he'll get a sensationalist response and I wonder if that is deliberate to fit his narrative or if it wasn't deliberate.
A] I disagree, it reads like he made the assumption that someone who paid to attend a rugby match was a fan of rugby.
B] That's one hell of a reach, and absolutely can't be read from Ugo's tweets.
C] I disagree, he words as someone who is pee.d off to have been the victim of abuse.
He owes an apology to the fans that did step in to help and the security and he possible owes one to Exeter in the way he worded the tweet to besmirch the Exeter fans.
Why? He was the victim here, posting something from his own perspective.
Just interesting to see what comes of this 'rugby is racist' narrative we hear.
I'm still waiting to hear that narrative as anything beyond "society is racist, and rugby is a part of society"
But I fully acknowledge that that could easily be my absence from social media.

Last edited:

That part is odd for me because if you report a Exeter chiefs fan racially abused me with no context of details of the abuser, esspecially if he wasnt even a Chiefs fan, Ofcourse there is zero reasons where it would be acceptable but my point is you put stuff like this on social media with no context and people jump to conclusions about man and club with no basis.

Ugo's tweet to me does read(to me) that it was written whilst he was angry(rughtfully so) but without alot of thought for a the details and reaction it would bring.

My apologies, I think I read (far) more into "bend the truth" and "sensationalise the incident" than was there. Possibly also conflating with responses of other posters on other rugby boards.
That's 100% my bad.

In what way?

The first would be key facts if factual - What information to the eggchasers have that the rest of us don't (currently)?
What relevance is there that the abuser was mixed race? what relevance is there that the abuser's girlfriend is black and present? What relevance is there that the abuser was South African (beyond the obvious impossibility of South Africans being racist, of course).
Would all of those supposed facts have been known to Ugo in the heat of the moment?

A] I disagree, it reads like he made the assumption that someone who paid to attend a rugby match was a fan of rugby.
B] That's one hell of a reach, and absolutely can't be read from Ugo's tweets.
C] I disagree, he words as someone who is pee.d off to have been the victim of abuse.

Why? He was the victim here, posting something from his own perspective.

I'm still waiting to hear that narrative as anything beyond "society is racist, and rugby is a part of society"
But I fully acknowledge that that could easily be my absence from social media.

Don't have time to answer all of the above but they egg chasers basically spoke to Exeter and people that were there and tried to help. The whole incident is apparently on cctv so will see what comes out of it.

As for your initial questions, I'm guessing the accent would give the South African away, he was in holiday here so not living here. The point about his colour and his girl friends skin colour is simply that some people of colour use the N word and that's acceptable (apparently), where as if a white person used it, it's 100% not acceptable. It's more context really as to why people around may not have done more or thought more of it.

I also think that due to the lack of information in the tweet he does infer things and my post was just to question if it was a deliberate inference or not.

Does Ugo have a bee in his bonnet about Exeter and therefore left the tweet open for all the other idiots online to go on about how this proves all Exeter fans are truly racist etc etc

He's got a duty of care as a professional and I believe he should have thought more about what he wrote as it implies/ accuses Exeter fans of not helping and by default being ok with it.

Ugo tweeted "leaving Sandy Park and one supporter..."
IDK doesn't really read that he reported an Exeter chiefs fan. At the most a fan of one of the two teams.
Also it's a pretty fair assumption that someone at a Exeter v Gloucester game might have been a supporter of one club.

I think it prob sums up some mentality when they see the news and instead of just leaving it shaming the prep instead also start to shame the victim and question motives.

Granted if the Alex Jones of Rugby podcasts says it's a conspiracy against chiefs then it must be so. Not like they would deliberately spin stories for their own agendas either (They still harp on about the 22 million a year in the woman's game bit, and didn't correct that they where indeed wrong about the RFU planning on spending that much on the premier XV). Certainly not outrage

Having listened to the podcast, their issue was not with Ugo's tweet (although JB did mention that he'd spoken to a number of witnesses who refuted Ugo's claim that no one spoke up or reported the incident) but with the replies to the tweet, some of them from journalists who should know better.

I mean for rugby podcast choices the egg chasers is the best but the food the bad the rugby is ok, although they seem to talk less and less rugby as the years have gone by and the rugby pod is slightly rubbish but ok for a long car journey.

Latest posts