• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Predictions for Super 15 2013

By second season syndrome season I mean that there were a lot of unknowns in the team last year. The Hurricanes exceeded basically everyone's expectations, but this year I think they'll either continue to improve or a lot of coaches would have worked out ways to nullify the previous unknowns.

I can't say I expected the Hurricanes do as well as they did last season, considering everything, but I never understood the bandwagon jumping onto 'Hammett is the worst coach ever, bla bla'. It would have taken a lot of guts to stand up to star players for the betterment of the team. I suspect the Blues could be this year's Hurricanes, as Kirwan has been making similar moves. Funny to see Weepu and Nonu causing him problems too. Hmmm.

I like our potential squad for this season. James will be a reliable option off the bench and a solid backup, same goes for van der Merwe. Otherwise we have young players ready to step up. Jordaan really came on during the latter half of the 2012 S15 and showed some skill during the CC. We've also got some young locks ready to fight it out (Marais brothers, du Toit). Backrow could be very good, especially if Kankowski picks up where he left off.

My biggest worry is up front. I am not sure what Beast will be like next year, with his health issues. Bismarck is out for the first half, and our backup hookers aren't really that good. Jannie is a warrior, he will give everything, but we must find a reliable backup.

Scrum half is another issue. Reinach is a great little player, but we have no one else. Hoffmann hasn't been in the Sharks 22 since the 2011 CC final, and McLeod... well...

For the Chiefs it should be ok. Last year we ended up with some of starting players being injured in the first game and everybody thought the season was over, result they won the competition. We have lots of upcoming youngsters who already showed last season what they are worth. As well as experienced players.

As long as they don't suffer too many injuries, keep their heads cool and focus it will be an amazing season.

If the Highlanders find a consistent 10, all bets are off. Look at the back line: Aaron Smith/Fumiaki Tanaka, Colin Slade/Lima Sopoaga, Ma'a Nonu, Tamati Elison, Hosea Gear, Kade Poki, Ben Smith.

If it works...

I'm still not convinced Nonu's as a good a player without Conrad Smith outside him. Then again, a lot of people are calling Ben Smith the heir to his throne, so it'll definitely be interesting to see.

silly amount of quality in the highlanders backline

9, A Smith
10, C Slade
11, H Gear
12, Nonu
13, Ellison
14, ??? Poki
15, Ben Smith

easily one of if not the strongest starting back line in the comp, 6 of the starting 7 are all blacks. 5 Current All Blacks

really depends how hungry Nonu is, he's been around a long time and never won a super ***le or even featured in the playoffs much, nonu's super record kinda pales in comparison to his test record. I look at him and I'd pick him in my test side but I wouldn't pick him in my Virtual super14 side. If I were a super rugby Coach I wouldn't be rushing to sign him.

highlanders are a team to watch for sure. Have they ever been this strong on paper? The Addition of these guys over the last 2-3 years has turned them into a genuine contender/favorite in paper

Nonu
Gear
Slade (really started it all)
Ellison
Thorn
Woodcock
A Smith (the only major signing that was not already an established super rugby player)

the squad is not a wash with top players when a few years ago it was really a 2-4 man band (Cowan, Dagg, Ben smith and Adam Thomson)

Have the Cheetahs held onto Goosen? I only get limited Super Rugby coverage up here but he was one of my favourite players to watch in last years tournament.

Goosen is not going anywhere anytime soon. He still has a 3-year contract. He just suffered some injuries this year. He, Lambie an Jantjies will be fighting for the Bok fly-half spot. I think Jantjies now has to show what he can do. He had the excuse of playing with the ****-poor Lions but moved to the Stormers on loan now. He is with the top-team in SA (regarding recent results in the last 2 years) and really has to deliver.

I'm still not convinced Nonu's as a good a player without Conrad Smith outside him. Then again, a lot of people are calling Ben Smith the heir to his throne, so it'll definitely be interesting to see.

I have actaully been wondering if we shouldn't try smith at 13 to unleash nonu and ellison at fullabck

I have actaully been wondering if we shouldn't try smith at 13 to unleash nonu and ellison at fullabck

Ben Smith could be a good centre. He could be a good prop as well.
Considering Kahui's injury record, the AIGs could do with another centre to provide backup for Smith. Ellison is a few years older than Ben as well, still another few years left in him though.

Yeah, if I was a coach of the AIG's I'd be giving Ben Smith a few games in a row at 13 to see how he goes. He seems like a player who would shine once settled into the team.

For me Conrad is still the best centre in the world. But as he gets a bit older you need to start planning for injuries (which I think NZ have done pretty well)

SA
1- Stormers - Very strong team, will learn from 2012, however will still not get enough bonus points to finish top of overall ladder again.
2- Bulls - Best performing team outside the Crusaders, young backline and will be hungry to live golden days
3- Sharks - Will not be as entertaining as last year and will miss out due to bonus points
4 -Cheetahs - cant defend... will be entertaining like 2012, will do major upsets
5 -Kings - will get bent over and anal raped in every game... they might have 1-2 wins at home that is all. Stupid to even have them in this comp, I think it should be called super 14 again with these guys in it.

NZ
1 -Crusaders - Well they are the Crusaders...
2 -Chiefs - They will not win the ***le again, will not be as atrong yet will get top 2 as most teams who win super rugby normaly stay ontop for afew years
3 -Hurricanes - They did will in 2012 and will do much better yet will not get top 2 due to incontestably
4 -Highlanders - Should make finals but are in the NZ conferance... the teams above them are better
5 -Blues - They are crap now... the end

AUS
1 -Brumbies - Jake White did a lot in his first year and will get them to the finals again, maybe even top of ladder and have grand final at home due to easy conference
2 -Reds - Quade will take his time getting back into the fold and Genia will be out for first 6 weeks. It will be very similar to 2012, however they will make top 2 near the end
3 -Waratahs - New coach, new players have potential... They could get top 2, I hope they do actually yet I think its to soon for such a new coach in super rugby
4 -Rebels - Will be a good middle team and will finish 7-9th in overal log yet will not have the fire power to make finals
5 -Force - I love the force yet no good coach, no good players, no good support in WA and way to much Aussie Fag League here... No David Pocock, no good no.10, It will be Force with wooden spoon and finishing 14th in ladder (the Kings do not count as a team)

Overall finalists
Brumbies
Crusaders
Stormers
Chiefs
Reds
Bulls

Notes and the what if's
SA - Sharks could get into finals just need to win games vs Stormers and Bulls
NZ - Hurricanes can make finals yet need to beat Crusaders and defending champs (they should be in finals yet to strong of a conference)
AUS - Waratahs - Exiting to see how they perform!

What? Foley is a good coach. We have finally a solid team, it's about time we stopped spending our entire budget on a few superstars.

As for the halve's, we have good depth there this season. Very excited about seeing Ebherson running the show, a great player.

I'm not saying we will be anything better than mid table, but if anything this year will be better than last, much better.

Also, rugby is growing in WA faster than anywhere else in the country, it's never been stronger here and we have just as many, if not more members than most other Australian teams.

I wouldn't put Nonu at fullback, his kicking game is way too average. He never really shone as a wing for the Hurricanes, either.

Ben Smith will get his chance. I think there's some similarities between him and Conrad Smith's path into the All Blacks (among other comparisons). Conrad was in the shadows for a long time because Umaga and Mauger had the centre positions sewn down, and Umaga was often seen (in NZ at least) as being in competition with O'Driscoll over best centre in the world... Now, we're seeing the same thing with Ben Smith having to wait for Conrad Smith to retire.

I wouldn't put Nonu at fullback, his kicking game is way too average. He never really shone as a wing for the Hurricanes, either.

Ben Smith will get his chance. I think there's some similarities between him and Conrad Smith's path into the All Blacks (among other comparisons). Conrad was in the shadows for a long time because Umaga and Mauger had the centre positions sewn down, and Umaga was often seen (in NZ at least) as being in competition with O'Driscoll over best centre in the world... Now, we're seeing the same thing with Ben Smith having to wait for Conrad Smith to retire.

I believe he meant having Ellison at fullback and having Smith at centre, unleashing Nonu inside him.

;)

What? Foley is a good coach. We have finally a solid team, it's about time we stopped spending our entire budget on a few superstars.

As for the halve's, we have good depth there this season. Very excited about seeing Ebherson running the show, a great player.

I'm not saying we will be anything better than mid table, but if anything this year will be better than last, much better.

Also, rugby is growing in WA faster than anywhere else in the country, it's never been stronger here and we have just as many, if not more members than most other Australian teams.

You are probably correct, I hope so as I love the Force... yet Foley made the Waratahs have one of its worst seasons on record... then we lose Pocock and 90% of the roster I have no idea who they are. They are not many Aussies in the Force also, it doesnt even feel like an Aus team let alone a WA team. We have atleast 5 NZ born players and atleast 4 SA born in the starting 15, and team keeps changing every year...

I think a SA team will win... the advantage they have for murdering the Kings week in week out will be too much of an advantage too them... it will guarantee a home semi with a "moerse" points difference... maybe the sharks or stormers...

Thanx for all the confidence you guys have in the Canes!