• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Paris Olympics 2024

Well, going back even further, the GB nations essentially all defunded 7s (again) massively during COVID, and never really started up again, so we're all a bit shit.
Then once combined, they were still too shit to earn a place.

So yes, Unions being knobs, because they refuse to fund the sport, rather than refusing to work together

oh god some MAGA bro just lost his **** over Fiji throwing an unnecessary pass
TBF, it was a ridiculous decision to be okay the pass. All downside, no upside.
Though I always though USA loved a bit of showboating (presumably only when it's USA doing it)

TBF, it was a ridiculous decision to be okay the pass. All downside, no upside.
Though I always though USA loved a bit of showboating (presumably only when it's USA doing it)
honestly it depends on how likable the person doing it is. Fiji can probably can away with it cause they are lovable islanders. But if you compare our baseball culture to Korea it's insane. THey'll bat flip an out but if you bat flip a home run here it's grounds for lethal force.

So, with the Olympics staring to orrow (a mere 2 days late), it seeks time for my quadrannial suggestion.
Every sport for which it's practical, should have a local amateur take part, just to show the difference between olympians and well practiced Joe bloggs.

IIRC it was Eric the Eel in Sydney that gave me the example (though the local amateurs would still have beaten him, of course).

ETA: been pointed in the direction of this from making the same suggestion elsewhere. Same idea, different execution, only 1 event.

Shane Lowry and Sarah Lavin are our flag bearers.

Disagree with Lowry getting it after refusing to compete in 2016. He'd also swap the opportunity to compete for another run at last Saturday I'd suspect, definitely not the biggest event in his calendar.

Seeing as a Russian was arrest not that long ago for the belief they were going to attempt to disrupt the Olympics, I would not be the least bit surprised to discover Russian involvement in this.

So, with the Olympics staring to orrow (a mere 2 days late), it seeks time for my quadrannial suggestion.
Every sport for which it's practical, should have a local amateur take part, just to show the difference between olympians and well practiced Joe bloggs.

IIRC it was Eric the Eel in Sydney that gave me the example (though the local amateurs would still have beaten him, of course).

ETA: been pointed in the direction of this from making the same suggestion elsewhere. Same idea, different execution, only 1 event.
IMHO a local amateur would be pretty boring and might actually embarrass some of the Olympic initiative athletes. Age groupers are extremely competitive and the best would blow Eric the eel out of the water. The difference between between a great amateur and the elites is only a few percentage points.

IMHO a local amateur would be pretty boring and might actually embarrass some of the Olympic initiative athletes. Age groupers are extremely competitive and the best would blow Eric the eel out of the water. The difference between between a great amateur and the elites is only a few percentage points.
A] Not everywhere is USA
B] "local amateur" doesn't mean professionals or professional-in-all-but-name
C] Anyone who can actually swim 100m without needing a lifeguard, would blow Eric the Eel out of the water

Was thinking that for elite amateur golfers. They'd hold their own and beat some of the worst ranked pros who qualify for the Olympics.

Latest posts