• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Paris Olympics 2024

Lyles leaving in a wheelchair - injury or the classic "I didn't miss that tackle I've got hamstring cramp"?

Think MJ is doing Tebogo a disservice there suggesting Lyles only lost because he wasn't quite right. Tebogo was superb in the semi too.

Just announced Lyles has COVID. That didn't take long.

He was my favourite athlete over 200 and 400. That upright running style was classic. But he's class act as a pundit as well.

Think MJ is doing Tebogo a disservice there suggesting Lyles only lost because he wasn't quite right. Tebogo was superb in the semi too.

Just announced Lyles has COVID. That didn't take long.
Cause they knew he had Covid before hand but wanted him to run anyway. So now the whole USA and Jamaica team probably have it.

The lengths they can throw the javelin are actually crazy when you really think how far they are rather than it just being a number on a screen

Might have to reset the record again and redesign the javelin again soon!
Was wondering what happens when it goes higher than it is now - considering the field is inside the track there's not a lot of wiggle room once it starts going 100m+

Think they just said that was Pakistan's first ever gold in track and field

Quite a few countries getting their first medals/golds this tournament - great to see

The lengths they can throw the javelin are actually crazy when you really think how far they are rather than it just being a number on a screen
I spend at least three hours this week reading about optimal throw angles for javelin, shot put, hammer, discuss, etc. I find it fascinating. In case anyone is interested here's the summary.
Using high school physics one would guess the angle to be around 45. Then you should adjust a bit for the object's aerodynamics, wind (if applicable) etc but you would expect not 45, but close enough. The problem is that the angles observed from top tier athletes are considerably lower. Much lower (30-35 in some disciplines). So the question is, why?
The answer is that the theory basically assumes something like this: If throw a discuss with X amount of force at 45 degrees the discuss will go further than if i throw the discuss with the same force (again, X) at 40 (or any other angle) degrees.
The problem with that is that it assumes that the amount of force the athletes can exert and angle at which the object leaves their hands are independent. It presumes that the athlete can deliver the same amount of force at different angles. That, apparently, is not the case. They throw at lower angles (suboptimal from an force equivalence) because in doing so they are able to deliver more force. So they sacrifice a bit of initial angle but they gain higher speeds in exchange.

I spend at least three hours this week reading about optimal throw angles for javelin, shot put, hammer, discuss, etc. I find it fascinating. In case anyone is interested here's the summary.
Using high school physics one would guess the angle to be around 45. Then you should adjust a bit for the object's aerodynamics, wind (if applicable) etc but you would expect not 45, but close enough. The problem is that the angles observed from top tier athletes are considerably lower. Much lower (30-35 in some disciplines). So the question is, why?
The answer is that the theory basically assumes something like this: If throw a discuss with X amount of force at 45 degrees the discuss will go further than if i throw the discuss with the same force (again, X) at 40 (or any other angle) degrees.
The problem with that is that it assumes that the amount of force the athletes can exert and angle at which the object leaves their hands are independent. It presumes that the athlete can deliver the same amount of force at different angles. That, apparently, is not the case. They throw at lower angles (suboptimal from a force equivalence) because in doing so they are able to deliver more force. So they sacrifice a bit of initial angle but they gain higher speeds in exchange.
I think it's kind of funny that the math says one thing but in reality everyone knows you can bench press more than you can overhead press

Latest posts