• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Nonu to move to the Chiefs next year

Nonu's last two games he's arguably been the Canes best player.

I'm surprised thare's no speculation at all about a NH move. Has he ruled it out?

I can see what Hammet is trying to do too. And I just think he is out of his mind.

Nonu is one of the best in that position arround the world. Canes are not only firing a fantastic player, they are also reinforcing the Chiefs. So, double mistake.

Nonu lacks discipline? Maybe, but whoever takes his place next year just lacks his talent.

Sometimes you need a step back to reorientate and walk a new path.
But it's true the Canes didn't have a good season ( due to injuries)

I'm surprised thare's no speculation at all about a NH move. Has he ruled it out?

Well, I don't think this has affected his All Blacks chances at all. I believe that he is still the number one second five in New Zealand so there is no need for him to go. Certainly I think it is a prospect that he will move north and certainly I think that a lot of other clubs will come knocking.

Well, I have lived all my life in Wellington so I will continue to support the Hurricanes. The team could be full of serial murderers and I would till turn up and watch them.
Refreshing to hear. Stick with your team through the bad times and the good times (whenever they happen) feel sooo much better. None of this swapping sides.

I stuck with the reds for 7 years :( and now it sucks cause I can't sit wherever I want anymore cause there are too many people :(:(

Well, I don't think this has affected his All Blacks chances at all. I believe that he is still the number one second five in New Zealand so there is no need for him to go. Certainly I think it is a prospect that he will move north and certainly I think that a lot of other clubs will come knocking.

I know he can still play for the AB, and probably will after the WC if he stays. What I was thinking was two things:
1. He has played 54 tests in 8 years and is now almost 30, so he has already had a great AB career. I wouldn't blame him if he was seduced by the euro.
2. If I had a fat wallet and was the president of a club in the french mediterranean coast, I'd be making some phone calls.

Maybe Nonu sees the Chiefs as a team that can get him a championship. Maybe he wants to reunite with his old masters Tana Umaga and the coach (not sure of his name). Maybe Wellington is just too cold lol.

Well, if the Chiefs would sign him and get some other players they could turn into serious contenders next year.

Well, if the Chiefs would sign him and get some other players they could turn into serious contenders next year.

Yeah, Chiefs have always been dangerous but lack the tight 5 and halves to be a consistent threat.

Elliot is good but I don't rate the guys around him. Not when compared to what other ***le contenders have to put on the field. Very capable backrow though.

Leonard and Donald are both good enough for S15 but only marginal test players; The Chiefs either need a great tactical 9 like FdP or Genia to control the game and allow Donald to play to his strengths or get a more consistent 10 IMO. From 11 on out the Chiefs rank among the leaders for sure (especially if they could manage to snatch up Nonu).

Donald and Delany are off. Don't know if Leonard is sticking around. Wouldn't mind to have Weepu on the team.

Yeah 2000 post and just like the firs post it contains Chiefs Context.

To be fair I'll probably still support the Canes regardless of who goes and stays, it's just disappointing when a couple of my favourite players are told they aren't wanted anymore. I don't think I'll ever be a 'true' Blues supporter :D. I remember saying I wasn't going to support the AB's anymore after Mitchell didn't pick Cullen, my favourite player at the time :p.

I really hope Jane, Gear and Weepu stay though. Jane is the one I'm most worried about because by the sounds of it he was considering moving offshore anyway.

I can kinda understand why Hore and Nonu have been cut with reports Hore gets into the booze mid week and Nonu has a tough personality to keep focused and maybe he's not as team minded as most. But with nonu in particular I look at the All Blacks over the last few years he seems to be so much better in that environment than he does with the canes. He wasn't initially but it seemed like henry found what he needed to get Nonu to click.

My Guess is that maybe hammett can see that but doesn't want to spend two years getting nonu on track while building a new team culture at the same time.

I think most of the rumors towards players getting axed are just that, rumors. Reports from players do not indicate anything of the sort. Interesting to see the player reactions.

Cory Jane said he was left feeling 'gutted' and not 'too happy' when he heard Ma'a Nonu was unwanted by Hurricanes coach Mark Hammett next year.

Hammett announced on Wednesday that Nonu, the incumbent All Blacks second five-eighths, and Hurricanes skipper and All Blacks hooker Andrew Hore had been shown the door.

While the coach clearly feels young rake Dane Coles is the man for the future at the Hurricanes, the decision not to re-sign Nonu is a bold move by Hammett in his first year in charge at the Wellington-based franchise.

Already senior players Neemia Tialata, John Schwalger and Rodney So'oialo have announced they are heading overseas, while Piri Weepu, Jane and Hosea Gear have still to decide on their playing futures post 2011.

Nonu has been one of the Hurricanes and Wellington's biggest draw cards since 2002, playing 61 times for the Lions and notching 108 games for the Hurricanes to-date.

Speculation and rumours have been rife this season that senior players have not always seen eye-to-eye with the former Crusaders assistant coach but Hammett refused to be drawn on the reasons behind his decision to axe the two veterans who had both been keen to remain with the franchise for at least another season.

Jane also wouldn't shed any light on the possible reasons for Nonu's departure, although there have been suggestions his ill-discipline on the field may have been a factor.

"I wouldn't have a clue. It's for him [Nonu] to say. We've had a few chats but he has to comment on that or you talk to Hammer about that," the fullback said.

"I'm not going to comment on something I don't know a huge amount about. When you hear from one side it's easy to go and slay other people.

"It's obviously disappointing, but that's life and Skux will find another team and he'll come back and play some good rugby again.

"He was gutted [when he was told]. I was gutted and wasn't too happy. I feel for him. He's played a lot of games here and a lot of Tests. He's still an elite player so I'm disappointed and shocked. Not only am I good mates with him I'm a fan of his as well. It's disappointing. Our main weapon has now been shipped out, obviously it's disappointing."

But he didn't expect Nonu, who is certain to be in Graham Henry's World Cup squad, would be left without a job for too long.

"I think every franchise in New Zealand will be wanting him and probably every team in the world. He'll have his options open," Jane said.

But Jane admitted he was still unclear on where his future lay, although he seemed buoyed by the news that Hammett wanted him and Weepu to stay.

"That's pretty good then, eh. I'll have to sit down and have a chat and see where we are heading and what decisions they want to make and if I'm still involved.

"I've said before that if I could play for the Hurricanes and All Blacks my whole life I would. Obviously that doesn't happen because rugby has turned into a business now. It's more like the NFL where one minute you're there and playing well and then all of a sudden you're shipped off to another team. Or another team can pick you up.

"I've just got to sit down and talk and make the right decision and get all the facts first before I do something stupid."

Jane said rumours linking him to a move to the Chiefs, where Davie Rennie will take charge next year, were just that. "I haven't talked to my agent but I haven't been told anything like that.

"I've been linked to a number of clubs. Let's hope they are all real so I've got some options."

http://www.allblacks.com/news/16411/Jane-gutted-at-changes

Nonu is an idiot, he would be horrendous for a coach at the hurricanes. At the AB's he obviously pulls his head in a tad but he thinks he owns the 'canes and does what he likes. Great player but a ******** of a person, good on Hammett for getting rid of a guy who obviously wouldn't listen. Maybe now he'll mature as a new boy on the block at his new team.

Nonu is an idiot, he would be horrendous for a coach at the hurricanes. At the AB's he obviously pulls his head in a tad but he thinks he owns the 'canes and does what he likes. Great player but a ******** of a person, good on Hammett for getting rid of a guy who obviously wouldn't listen. Maybe now he'll mature as a new boy on the block at his new team.

And this is based on what? Have you met the guy?
The reasons given by many sources is putulance off the field and ill discipline on the field. This has been the opinion of one source, but many players said they haven't seen anything like that. As for Hore's dismissal, it's a tad ironic I had a beer with him on the Friday before the Hurricanes match with the Lions but I don't think he's a heavy drinker. From what I have heard from James Te Puni he was not let go because of any drinking problems.

The reasons given by many sources is putulance off the field and ill discipline on the field. This has been the opinion of one source, but many players said they haven't seen anything like that. As for Hore's dismissal, it's a tad ironic I had a beer with him on the Friday before the Hurricanes match with the Lions but I don't think he's a heavy drinker. From what I have heard from James Te Puni he was not let go because of any drinking problems.

Yeah I thought about your beer with Hore when I heard about Hore's supposed drinking issues. If people want to blame anyone for Hore's departure they should blame you for luring him into drinking with you the night before the match ;)

I heard a couple of interviews with James Te Puni today, and he is probably the most evasive person I've ever heard interviewed! I'm not suggesting Hore was let go because of drinking, but Te Puni certainly didn't convince me otherwise as he refused to directly answer any question. He didn't state drinking was a reason Hore was let go, but when given the chance he didn't refute it either, rather he said something about the 'new direction' the Canes are taking next year.

What the hell

Latest posts