• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia again

I can only go off Twitter and Reddit but I didn't see a single person happy he was signed or sad he was dropped by Chiefs

You can look back at the match threads on here. Gatland played a turgid antiquicated game plan with the Chiefs that was reflected in the results.
I remember sticking up for him as quite a few of the arm wrestles were close but I watched all their games at the time, and while my memory isn't the best, I remember the matches being dull.

put it this way, before the comp started where they lost all eight games, they were considered serious ***le contenders. That's before people realised gatland would stop them playing chiefs rugby, as he had promised otherwise.

Then without gatland, and playing a completely different game plan, they came second in super rugby aotearoa the following year

I can't say what chiefs fans thought really but I haven't heard any give gatland credit.

The players often talk about how they got better from enduring the tough times though, so you can credit gatland for that

I also don't see any top development players gatland brought in except tupaea who is from the region and would have been brought in by any coach

Last edited:
Only caught the highlights as I was at a music festival with the family. I could barely be arsed before the game, and wasn't surprised to see another loss.

Difficult to get the full sense of the game from highlights, but clear from the comments here that there was just too many errors once again. 9 losses in a row will do that though, confidence will be low, pressure will be mounting, and young players will make mistakes.

Winnett is a prime example, some real costly errors in the first half, but also showed some quality in the second. The challenge here is identifying which ones will eventually come good, and which ones are lost causes, and the problem is having to do it on the international stage rather than at regional level.

I'd axcept Gatland staying if Humphreys, Howley and King (if he actually has any say) were jettisonned. Ideally Gats goes with them, but the WRU probably can't afford to! I don't get how there's not some kind of performance clause in their contracts though, why should a coach still be paid the temainder of their contract if they screw up so badly?

Maybe @Kiwiwomble or @Umaga's Witness can give us a better idea of what chief fans felt in general at the time as I think both of us will not be as informed as them.
every chiefs fan i talked to was glad to see him replaced and its commonly known "moving upstairs" was gardening leave until he could find a new gig, my understanding is he had little to no involvement with the team once he stepped aside

basically he had completely lost touch with how things work in NZ rugby, the development paths and how different the game is played to the NH...and was too stuck in his ways to relearn or change
No he didnt, he had 2 kiwi internationals in a team when the other regions averaged 7/8 lol

And they didnt become world beater straight after, Gatland was there and involved when they developed and signed world class players.
sorry but this is fundamentally just not true, are you confusing them with the Highlander that actually did only have 2 AB's (aaron smith and Frizell)

1720997115871.png

Georgia squad to Australia

The squad is pretty young, Gorgadze is the second oldest player at only 28!!
The first row in particular...

Some weird choices at prop considering how many georgian props Top14 counts

From the 34-man squad
10 Top14 players
13 ProD2 players
11 Black Lion players (the georgian franchise that play in Super Cup and EPCR Challenge Cup)
1 player from the domestic championship

LOOSEHEAD PROP
Giorgi Akhaladze (25, Clermont/FRA) 6 caps
Luka Goginava (27, Stade Montois/FRA) uncapped
Giorgi Mamaiashvili (21, Grenoble/FRA) 6 caps

HOOKER
Vano Karkadze (24, Montpellier/FRA) 13 caps, 3 tries
Luka Nioradze (25, Aurillac/FRA) 7 caps
Luka Petriashvili (23, Stade Français/FRA) 1 cap

TIGHTHEAD PROP
Irakli Aptsiauri (21, Lyon/FRA) 8 caps
Giorgi Dzmanashvili (22, Béziers/FRA) uncapped
Aleksandre Kuntelia (22, La Rochelle/FRA) 5 caps, 1 try

SECOND ROW
Mikheil Babunashvili (28, Black Lion/GEO) 8 caps, 2 tries
Lado Chachanidze (24, Black Lion/GEO) 17 caps, 1 try
Demur Epremidze (27, Black Lion/GEO) uncapped
Lasha Jaiani (26, Nevers/FRA) 21 caps
Giorgi Javakhia (27, Grenoble/FRA) 13 caps, 1 try

BACK ROW
Beka Gorgadze (28, Pau/FRA) 46 caps, 13 tries - captain
Ioane Iashagashvili (24, Stade Montois/FRA) uncapped
Luka Ivanishvili (22, Black Lion/GEO) 13 caps, 2 tries
Tornike Jalagonia (25, Provence/FRA) 33 caps, 7 tries
Beka Saghinadze (25, Lyon/FRA) 40 caps, 3 tries
Giorgi Tsutskiridze (27, Black Lion/GEO) 36 caps, 7 tries

SCRUM HALF
Mikheil Alania (23, Aurillac/FRA) 13 caps, 2 tries
Gela Aprasidze (26, Perpignan/FRA) 53 caps, 3 tries
Vasil Lobzhanidze (27, Oyonnax/FRA) 85 caps, 15 tries

FLY HALF
Tedo Abzhandadze (25, Aurillac/FRA) 53 caps, 7 tries
Luka Matkava (22, Montpellier/FRA) 20 caps, 2 tries

CENTRE
Tornike Kakhoidze (20, Black Lion/GEO) 5 caps
Giorgi Kveseladze (26, Grenoble/FRA) 58 caps, 8 tries
Georges Shvelidze (20, Brive/FRA) uncapped
Demur Tapladze (24, Black Lion/GEO) 37 caps, 4 tries

WINGER / FULL BACK
Shalva Aptsiauri (21, Black Lion/GEO) uncapped
Davit Niniashvili (22, Lyon/FRA) 30 caps, 10 tries
Amiran Shvangiradze (26, Aia Kutaisi/GEO) uncapped
Akaki Tabutsadze (26, Black Lion/GEO) 41 caps, 37 tries
Sandro Todua (36, Black Lion/GEO) 113 caps, 19 tries

I can only go off Twitter and Reddit but I didn't see a single person happy he was signed or sad he was dropped by Chiefs
He was never dropped, he already had lions leave in mind, and was allowed to go coach the lions, then he was welcomed back.

He was never dropped, he already had lions leave in mind, and was allowed to go coach the lions, then he was welcomed back.
Welcomed back as DoR, and every man and his dog, whether over there of here, knows why.

Look, I'll always love Gatland and I don't even blame him. I lay all the blame at the WRU for being incompetent, brain dead fucks as always but enough is enough now. He's past it, it's so clearly obvious. The Chiefs knew it but the penny hasn't dropped for the WRU yet.

Didn't they shuffle him into a newly created DoR role when he returned from the Lions and then release him to go back to Wales?
Pretty much. He lost about 8 games, then McMillan turned it around when he left on Lions duty. Not dropped more moved side ways. Pretty much a results driven decision really. Screenshot_20240717_172137_Samsung Internet.jpg

Didn't they shuffle him into a newly created DoR role when he returned from the Lions and then release him to go back to Wales?
Ye, they wanted him back, the discussions after the lions tour were about whether he was coming back after such a struggle the previous season, and his lions performance. They of course wanted him back.

And FYI, Cane and McKenzie were the only mainstays of Gatlands tenure, Cruden and Leinert Brown were bit part players that season, Cruden had 1 start and 2 off the bench I think.

It was a very poor Chiefs team, poor tight 5 especially, but Gats win 4, and got 5/8 LBPs.

I'm not saying Gatland set the world alight, but as a high level coach 1 season isnt the time for change, the 2nd season is where the ship turns.

I compare it again to Ruddock, benefiting from Graham Henry's ground work

Ye, they wanted him back, the discussions after the lions tour were about whether he was coming back after such a struggle the previous season, and his lions performance. They of course wanted him back.

And FYI, Cane and McKenzie were the only mainstays of Gatlands tenure, Cruden and Leinert Brown were bit part players that season, Cruden had 1 start and 2 off the bench I think.

It was a very poor Chiefs team, poor tight 5 especially, but Gats win 4, and got 5/8 LBPs.

I'm not saying Gatland set the world alight, but as a high level coach 1 season isnt the time for change, the 2nd season is where the ship turns.

I compare it again to Ruddock, benefiting from Graham Henry's ground work
went back and checked, once again....ALB actually started all but one game, Cruden started 3 and had another 4 off the bench, so hardly bit players in an 8 game losing streak

also in the team we Brad Weber who was in the middle of his run with the AB, other ABs at the time were Nepo Laulala, Angus Ta'avao, Luke Jacobson, Sam Cane but there were also Samisoni Taukei'aho, Pita Gus Sowakula, Quinn Tupea and Tupou Vaai who would go on to be AB's

Cory Hill to captain... FML.
went back and checked, once again....ALB actually started all but one game, Cruden started 3 and had another 4 off the bench, so hardly bit players in an 8 game losing streak

also in the team we Brad Weber who was in the middle of his run with the AB, other ABs at the time were Nepo Laulala, Angus Ta'avao, Luke Jacobson, Sam Cane but there were also Samisoni Taukei'aho, Pita Gus Sowakula, Quinn Tupea and Tupou Vaai who would go on to be AB's
All were in their first season, and blooded by Gatland, again highlighting the argument of doing the ground work.
I'll take your word for ALB and cruden, but I watched most of those games and dont remember them having much game time at all.

Not to mention covid, wasnt Gatland 4 wins from 4 before the break?

Chiefs were also a whisker from a few more wins, 2 buzzer beaters and should've beaten the Blues if it were not for a poor non call at the death (if I remember correctly).

My point is not that Gatland was a huge success, intact his time there was pretty forgettable, but there were plenty of mitigating reasons, and everyone involved with the club were very complimentary of his input

Georgia Line UP for Australia

FORWARDS
1 Giorgi Mamaiashvili (21, Grenoble/FRA) 6 caps
2 Vano Karkadze (24, Montpellier/FRA) 13 caps, 3 tries
3 Aleksandre Kuntelia (22, La Rochelle/FRA) 5 caps, 1 try
4 Lado Chachanidze (24, Black Lion/GEO) 17 caps, 1 try
5 Mikheil Babunashvili (28, Black Lion/GEO) 8 caps, 2 tries
6 Beka Gorgadze (28, Pau/FRA) 46 caps, 13 tries - captain
7 Beka Saghinadze (25, Lyon/FRA) 40 caps, 3 tries
8 Tornike Jalagonia (25, Provence/FRA) 33 caps, 7 tries

BACKS
9 Mikheil Alania (23, Aurillac/FRA) 13 caps, 2 tries
10 Luka Matkava (22, Montpellier/FRA) 20 caps, 2 tries
11 Sandro Todua (36, Black Lion/GEO) 113 caps, 19 tries
12 Giorgi Kveseladze (26, Grenoble/FRA) 58 caps, 8 tries
13 Demur Tapladze (24, Black Lion/GEO) 37 caps, 4 tries
14 Akaki Tabutsadze (26, Black Lion/GEO) 41 caps, 37 tries
15 Davit Niniashvili (22, Lyon/FRA) 30 caps, 10 tries

REPLACEMENTS
16 Luka Petriashvili (23, Stade Français/FRA) 1 cap
17 Luka Goginava (27, Stade Montois/FRA) uncapped
18 Irakli Aptsiauri (21, Lyon/FRA) 8 caps
19 Lasha Jaiani (26, Nevers/FRA) 21 caps
20 Luka Ivanishvili (22, Black Lion/GEO) 13 caps, 2 tries
21 Giorgi Tsutskiridze (27, Black Lion/GEO) 36 caps, 7 tries
22 Vasil Lobzhanidze (27, Oyonnax/FRA) 85 caps, 15 tries
23 Tedo Abzhandadze (25, Aurillac/FRA) 53 caps, 7 tries

If Georgia win Wales go down to 12th in the rankings. While that will give me no pleasure to see, I hope George win. Good luck.

If Georgia win Wales go down to 12th in the rankings. While that will give me no pleasure to see, I hope George win. Good luck.

Unless I'm mistaken I think the rankings are locked after next year's AI's ahead of the RWC draw in January 2026 and so whoever is 13th (or lower) will be 3rd seeds in an expanded RWC which will now have six groups. I think Wales will have to be careful here especially if they don't win any games in the 6N which is entirely possible.

Unless I'm mistaken I think the rankings are locked after next year's AI's ahead of the RWC draw in January 2026 and so whoever is 13th (or lower) will be 3rd seeds in an expanded RWC which will now have six groups. I think Wales will have to be careful here especially if they don't win any games in the 6N which is entirely possible.
Gatland said the other day, come the World Cup, people will be scared to have us in their group.

I'm not worried, you're worried.

Cory Hill to captain... FML.

All were in their first season, and blooded by Gatland, again highlighting the argument of doing the ground work.
I'll take your word for ALB and cruden, but I watched most of those games and dont remember them having much game time at all.

Not to mention covid, wasnt Gatland 4 wins from 4 before the break?

Chiefs were also a whisker from a few more wins, 2 buzzer beaters and should've beaten the Blues if it were not for a poor non call at the death (if I remember correctly).

My point is not that Gatland was a huge success, intact his time there was pretty forgettable, but there were plenty of mitigating reasons, and everyone involved with the club were very complimentary of his input
who do you mean by all? weber had been at the chiefs for 6 years by then, laulala 4 years, ta'avao 3 years, Jacobson 3 years, Samisoni Taukei'aho 4 years, PGS 2 years, ....so added to canes 9 years, crudens 8 years and DMac's 6 year...2 of those people were new

Latest posts