• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New England starting 15?

Status
Not open for further replies.
the thing is, if armitage is left out, then he'll sign with toulon. i know that's his decision, but money talks and england is the only realistic counter to it. And while Jonny etc. are welcome to big money in France, I reckon England still have a lot to benefit from Armitage's talents.
If we're desperate enough for him, we'll probably call for him anyway, right? Like we're expected to do with Palmer.

Anyway, I can't see him putting himself completely out of contention for the 2015 world cup. He'd have to have very little ambition at international level to do so. If he goes to France, he'll sign a 2 year deal, maybe 3, and if he's in form by the end of it, he'll come back to England in time to try and regain a spot in the 2015 EPS. It gives us time to blood new players and try new things and he goes to gain the experience from playing in the toughest league in europe. I think it's a win-win.

Plus, he knows he's behind Foden. Would he stay to compete for the 22 shirt?

Last edited:
the thing is, if armitage is left out, then he'll sign with toulon. i know that's his decision, but money talks and england is the only realistic counter to it. And while Jonny etc. are welcome to big money in France, I reckon England still have a lot to benefit from Armitage's talents.

We could, and I'd rather he stayed, knuckled down, and reclaimed his place in the squad... but if he doesn't, then England still have a classy full-back starting week in week out at nearly half of our clubs. We'd live without him.

Armitage will never change his attitude while he remains at Irish. The appear to breed a culture of petulance, which unsurprising considering Catt and Booth are the role models.

Big Lawrence Dallaglio having lots to say in the press this morning both on BBC Sport and the Telegraph on line.

It seems he is not over keen on Farrell or Morgan being in the starting XV and feels Lancaster will favour Hodgson.

I want Armitage left out because he's developing a problem and I want it made clear to him that's it unacceptable, and would probably not pick him even there, but it is not the worst option at all.

Assuming that I'm thinking of the same problem that you're referring to, i'd agree. Not picking him may result in his packing his bags, but sobeit. We currently have a versatile crop of players (JSD, May,etc) with some very capable youth players on the up and up who'd be able to cover a number of positions off the bench in a year or two (Daly, Watson).

I'd much rather make it clear from the off that the embarassing behaviour that this team has exhibited individually and collectively in the past is simply not on.

Don't think so - wing or 13 for him

Though you could have 21 Burns, 22 JSD
That'd be Flyhalf&Fullback/Wing&13.

That was more my meaning, having JSD cover a couple of positions, rather than being a one-dimensional impact sub.

Aside from Armitage potentillay looking at a warmer climate, do we expect any shocks in tomorrows squad? Particularly keen to see where the captaincy ends up.

That'd work, although I like a wing/fullback cover (which only Armitage provides) and am mildly leery about covering fly-half and full-back with the same man.

The chances of Foden being subbed off are next to none though - it'd be through injury, in which case it'd be a balls up regardless, though if Burns is on for Farrell/Hodgson/Whatever, then you can always reshuffle (bound to be someone who has played/can cover fullback on the pitch, i.e.: Move Sharples to 15, JSD to the wing or something along those lines)

Wade is having surgery this evening and is out for at least 3months - that puts an end to that speculation.

Last edited:
The chances of Foden being subbed off are next to none though - it'd be through injury, in which case it'd be a balls up regardless, though if Burns is on for Farrell/Hodgson/Whatever, then you can always reshuffle (bound to be someone who has played/can cover fullback on the pitch, i.e.: Move Sharples to 15, JSD to the wing or something along those lines)

Wade is having surgery this evening and is out for at least 3months - that puts an end to that speculation.

I literally just posted a blog post recommending Wade for a Saxons spot. Literally. F**king outstanding.

To the best of my knowledge we have very few players who've covered full-back other than full-backs actually.

do we expect any shocks in tomorrows squad? Particularly keen to see where the captaincy ends up.

Pretty sure Lancaster said he would decide the captaincy after the first week of training. Or something like that.

What time is the squad announced tomorrow?

Pretty sure Lancaster said he would decide the captaincy after the first week of training. Or something like that.

What time is the squad announced tomorrow?
Yeah he did,

EDIT: Just found out the team is announced at 1pm

Last edited:
Will close this thread at 1pm today, so discussions can go into an official squad announcement thread...

Rumours suggest a dozen uncapped players...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts