• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Squad: 2009

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 22 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Apr 22 2009, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody who thinks Leigh Halfpenny is a bit of a *** like Cipriani or Henson take a look at the link, the Kid can hardly speak he's so happy/shocked. Doesn't seem to be any ego there whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1m6jwZeGMA[/b]

And Tom Shanklin watches the X-Factor and these guyses seem to have forgotton there's Irish people going on the tour too.

Delighted for Halfpenny and Earls.

Both class players and I hope they get a test match appearance at some point!
[/b][/quote]

What makes you think that? They were being interviewed about what it feels like to be a Lion. Nothing more than that. What's that got to do with Ireland or any of the other nations?

And Leigh Halfpenny sounds incredibly humble. Whoever said he had an ego should shut his mouth. I didn't personally choose him on my XV but he's been on form and I really hope he does well.

Possibly but the likes of Powell can run himself back into form. He'll be given a good shot at it and here's hoping he turns up.

Heaslip, himself and Wallace should drive themselves to play better.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Apr 22 2009, 04:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 22 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Apr 22 2009, 04:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody who thinks Leigh Halfpenny is a bit of a *** like Cipriani or Henson take a look at the link, the Kid can hardly speak he's so happy/shocked. Doesn't seem to be any ego there whatsoever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1m6jwZeGMA[/b]

And Tom Shanklin watches the X-Factor and these guyses seem to have forgotton there's Irish people going on the tour too.

Delighted for Halfpenny and Earls.

Both class players and I hope they get a test match appearance at some point!
[/b][/quote]

What makes you think that? They were being interviewed about what it feels like to be a Lion. Nothing more than that. What's that got to do with Ireland or any of the other nations?

[/b][/quote]

Yup, a British and Irish Lion as opposed to being on the Lions squad. My only annoyance is that, call it the Lions or the British and Irish Lions. None of this British Lions business.

Don't be so PC.

I think of the British Isles when people say British Lions so chill out man.

I'm quite a strong supporter of Welsh/Scottish Independence myself so am hardly a big "Brit" myself.

And besides, it was a common mistake.

don't be so patronising, this isn't a case of being PC just call it the Lions for f*** sake, easier than saying British Lions, british and Irish Lions or whatever other nonsense they come up with next.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
don't be so patronising, this isn't a case of being PC just call it the Lions for f*** sake, easier than saying British Lions, british and Irish Lions or whatever other nonsense they come up with next.[/b]

I'm not being patronising. I call it the Lions too.

I just get annoyed when people get offended by the slightest of things (They missed out the word Irish).

Next he'll be saying it's more evidence that we supposedly hate the Irish (utter rubbish, I personally love ya ;) )

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Apr 22 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
don't be so patronising, this isn't a case of being PC just call it the Lions for f*** sake, easier than saying British Lions, british and Irish Lions or whatever other nonsense they come up with next.[/b]

I just get annoyed when people get offended by the slightest of things (They missed out the word Irish).

Next he'll be saying it's more evidence that we supposedly hate the Irish (utter rubbish, I personally love ya ;) )
[/b][/quote]

And Irish is the single most impoortant word in it though! And I'm not offended, just annoyed. It's so easy to get it right!!

And the Welsh and Scots ROCK MY WORLD!!!!! And the Italian and French are sexy. And the English guys have nice hair I'm sure. I jest, I jest, all people are good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 22 2009, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Meh @ Apr 22 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 22 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

And Irish is the single most impoortant word in it though! And I'm not offended, just annoyed. It's so easy to get it right!!

And the Welsh and Scots ROCK MY WORLD!!!!! And the Italian and French are sexy. And the English guys have nice hair I'm sure. I jest, I jest, all people are good.
[/b][/quote]

Nice hair. Like my avatar. :)

Nathan Hines is a shock INclusion. I didn't see that one coming really, if anyone I'd have thought he'd go for Jason White or Jim Hamilton.

Why is Quinlan in the squad, if hes not good enough for Ireland hes surely not good enough for the Lions.

Ellis and O'Leary are also crap choices, i mean between the two of them i can never remember them performing against a top side. Which Blair,Peel and Cusiter have several times.

Other than that a reasonable squad.. like 4 years ago i wont be supporting them though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Apr 23 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why is Quinlan in the squad, if hes not good enough for Ireland hes surely not good enough for the Lions.

Ellis and O'Leary are also crap choices, i mean between the two of them i can never remember them performing against a top side. Which Blair,Peel and Cusiter have several times.

Other than that a reasonable squad.. like 4 years ago i wont be supporting them though.[/b]

he's a good character to have on tour as is Shaw hence their inclusion.

Ellis is a crap choice but O'Leary has been in the best form of the 3 scrum halves chosen so you can't have any complaints really with him, the only weakness in his game has been a tendency to kick too deep but that was only really an issue in the French match. He's shown far more willingness to break than either of the other 2 picked.

Blair's only decent performance this year came against Leinster on Friday, other than that he's been poor, offered nothing in the 6N and you can't be picking based on Autumn form, otherwise there would have only been 3 or 4 Irish in the squad. Would have had no complaints with Cussiter being included as Scotland looked a much improved side every time he came on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Apr 22 2009, 05:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nathan Hines is a shock INclusion. I didn't see that one coming really, if anyone I'd have thought he'd go for Jason White or Jim Hamilton.[/b]

I'm personally glad to have him. He's someone I think will make a standout contribution. It's more of a gut feeling I have.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 23 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Apr 23 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Other than that a reasonable squad.. like 4 years ago i wont be supporting them though.[/b]

Ellis is a crap choice but O'Leary has been in the best form of the 3 scrum halves chosen so you can't have any complaints really with him, the only weakness in his game has been a tendency to kick too deep but that was only really an issue in the French match. He's shown far more willingness to break than either of the other 2 picked.

Blair's only decent performance this year came against Leinster on Friday, other than that he's been poor, offered nothing in the 6N and you can't be picking based on Autumn form, otherwise there would have only been 3 or 4 Irish in the squad. Would have had no complaints with Cussiter being included as Scotland looked a much improved side every time he came on.
[/b][/quote]

Anybody would look outstanding behind the Munster scrum though, i really dont see what he offers which makes him standout. His passing is average, he doesnt have much big game experience and hes not a particularily smart player. None of the scrum halves have stood out this year, just because Blair was in pole position and hasnt done much doesnt means he shouldnt be picked at all Anyway im happy to have him on Scotland summer tour.:)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Apr 23 2009, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 23 2009, 01:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Incredible Schalk @ Apr 23 2009, 01:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Anybody would look outstanding behind the Munster scrum though, i really dont see what he offers which makes him standout. His passing is average, he doesnt have much big game experience and hes not a particularily smart player. None of the scrum halves have stood out this year, just because Blair was in pole position and hasnt done much doesnt means he shouldnt be picked at all Anyway im happy to have him on Scotland summer tour.:)
[/b][/quote]

I thought Scotland weren't touring after the All Blacks said no.

The only disappointment for me regards the squad is the absence of Croft who I personally think is an absolutely superb player and offers so much to his team.... other than that it looks pretty strong. Only taking two FH's seems a tad strange though.

Made up for Worsley :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vambo @ Apr 24 2009, 09:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The only disappointment for me regards the squad is the absence of Croft who I personally think is an absolutely superb player and offers so much to his team.... other than that it looks pretty strong. Only taking two FH's seems a tad strange though.

Made up for Worsley :D[/b]

Worse case senario, one of the forwards can play Flyhalf. I'm thinking Vickery.
EMP-5729545.jpg

looks like o'leary may have broke his ankle after 7 minutes tonight.............

so who's next in line, Blair, Peel, Cussiter or Care?

Think Blair may get the nod as he's the more physical of those 4 mentioned above.

Latest posts