• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British and Irish Lions squad based on this year's six nations.

How would itoje get into the squad? Not a 6 as he is not a good enough 6 and lock is very competitive.

He is not better than lawes or j gray who both play the "lighter" lock.

Great young player but the lions is all about the here and now not potential I'm afraid.

Oh and really hope it's not garland coaching! Please no

I couldn't think of another meaning to it to be honest....can you?

It means anyone who dominates weaker teams and folds against better teams.

I don't think its' a fair assessment of Saracens.

- - - Updated - - -

I thought it was a cricket term for teams with a pedestrian bowling attack but dominate with the bat...

in cricket it's when a batsman is only good on a pitch that doesn't yield to the bowler.

How would itoje get into the squad? Not a 6 as he is not a good enough 6 and lock is very competitive.

He is not better than lawes or j gray who both play the "lighter" lock.

Great young player but the lions is all about the here and now not potential I'm afraid.

Oh and really hope it's not garland coaching! Please no

The lions is actually about 2017 ..... I'd be happy to bet a tonne on Itoje being there or there abouts in 2 seasons time . Likely to have 5 or 6 England caps by then due to our constant injuries . As muffin said earlier he looks a really special talent

Itoje strikes me as the kind of player that will need 1 chance in the England set up due to someone else's misfortune and he will take it with both hands

The lions is actually about 2017 ..... I'd be happy to bet a tonne on Itoje being there or there abouts in 2 seasons time . Likely to have 5 or 6 England caps by then due to our constant injuries . As muffin said earlier he looks a really special talent

Itoje strikes me as the kind of player that will need 1 chance in the England set up due to someone else's misfortune and he will take it with both hands

I thought we were talking about a lions squad right now? As form changes so much we couldn't really speculate for 2 years time.

On itoje, I understand how good a player he is but lawes and launchbery are so young that will both be kept in the squad for the next World Cup.

Once he's overtaken kruis or Hargreaves at sarries then I think the coaches will take note.

I thought we were talking about a lions squad right now? As form changes so much we couldn't really speculate for 2 years time.

On itoje, I understand how good a player he is but lawes and launchbery are so young that will both be kept in the squad for the next World Cup.

Once he's overtaken kruis or Hargreaves at sarries then I think the coaches will take note.

Ahhhh sorry I misunderstood the thread . I thought it was about who might be in in 2017 that's why I hadn't given POC a thought tbh .

I tell you what the Lions in 2017 may have a sniff of a series victory if the rate at which European clubs are snapping up NZ's middle order players like Piutau, Sailli, Taylor, Thrush etc. It only takes a few injuries to top AB players, not forgetting how many will retire after the RWC for Lions series to be competitive and avoid a Blackwash like in 2005. That is assuming, of course, they pick Schmidt as coach.

C.J Stander, PO'M and Jack O'Donoughue backrow for the Lions. Everything you could ever want in a backrow. Power, skill, sex appeal, no Welsh people. And as Scotland's team is basically South Africans and Kiwis anyway, we can just put Stander down as the token Scot.
I'm going to put O'Donoghue down as my wildly speculative outside bolter for the squad though. Naturally this is wild overhype of a guy whose played a handful of games, but still.

Ah that old chestnut. People who live in glass houses...

Since you ask, what about O'Gara, Boss, Bent, Court, Fitzpatrick, MCarthy and Heaslip? Every one born elsewhere but qualified for Ireland in differing ways. Meanwhile, I had a look at Scotland's quad for this season and found 3 foreign backs and 5 forwards. 2 from NZ wth Scots parents or grandparents, 2 from England with the same, one each from SA, Aus, Zimbabwe and the Netherlands. Visser's the only one qualifying on residencey, so hardl a team stuffed with foreigners. If you want Saffers, you want Edinburgh. Oh, and you can keep Stander as the Irishman he is.

Since you ask, what about O'Gara, Boss, Bent, Court, Fitzpatrick, MCarthy and Heaslip? Every one born elsewhere but qualified for Ireland in differing ways. Meanwhile, I had a look at Scotland's quad for this season and found 3 foreign backs and 5 forwards. 2 from NZ wth Scots parents or grandparents, 2 from England with the same, one each from SA, Aus, Zimbabwe and the Netherlands. Visser's the only one qualifying on residencey, so hardl a team stuffed with foreigners. If you want Saffers, you want Edinburgh. Oh, and you can keep Stander as the Irishman he is.

ROG was born in USA but lived all his life bar 18months or so in Ireland. Just happened to be born when his father was working abroad.
Heaslip was the same like ROG. Except in Israel as his father was working with Army.
Bent had Irish grandarents.
Tom Courts Grandparents are from here in Limerick.
Isaac Boss has his grandmother still alive in Antrim I believe.
Fitzpatrick?? Justin is Irish. Declan's entire family are from the North so still confused.
McCarthy has Irish parentage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSy5mEcmgwU&ab_channel=BooBerryKitten

Alex Allan - parents
Jim Hamilton - parents
Tim Swinson - Parents
Ben Toolis - Parents
Hugh Blake - Family
Blair Cowan - Parent
Rob Harley - Parent
Hamish Watson - Parent
David Denton - Parent
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne - Parent
Henry Pyrgos - Parent
Greig Tonks - Parent
Sean Maitland - Grandparent
Tommy Seymour - Grandparent
Tim Visser - Residency.

This is the breakdown of non Scottish born players in 2015 6Nations squad. If you try say ROG and Heaslip aren't Irish

O'Gara and Heaslip? You think guys born to Irish parents who grew up in Ireland, were schooled in Ireland and everything else, who just happened to be born when their parents were working abroad, are worthy of comment as poaches? That's one way to make yourself look like a guy desperately clawing at anything but the actual truth to make things look better.

And funnily enough, looking on wikipedia, I found 6 for the forwards and 4 for the backs for Scotland. Sorry, 5. Wait, 6. And a 7th forward. Gods know what the tally would look like if I was to take the same walk down memory lane as yourself, as I've got Hines, Danielli, both Evans, Ansbro and Morrison just off the top of my head. Not that I'd bother to count Morrison normally, but apparently you would...

So... ah, jeez, I'm not sure what to make of it other than to laugh at you for biting on one of the most absurdly obvious joke posts around and note that the Scots-born Heathcote would be the worst poach on either list, which might encourage you to look at this with a wider view. Oh, and laugh some more.

edit: And apparently I missed some and all :lol: Outstanding.

Did you honestly not pick up on the blatant joking irony in my post? Also some of the ones you listed in that....... defensive post are absolutely hilarious. Heaslip, Fitzpatrick and ROG. Really?

My real point being that every country's got non-national born players. My own son was born in London, but try telling him he's English. The vast majority of Scottish qualified players are because of parentage. Isn't that what you're arguing for some Irish players? When jokes get repeated ad nauseam, they tend to lose their shine. Oh,and I'm not sure how Declan Fitzpatrick's parents being from the north is relevant. He was still born in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. I have no problem with these players being Irish qualified, even being Irish, but it's getting old when nations snipe at other nations for doing exactly the same thing. By the way, if you'd dug around you'd have come up with Budge Pountney. He was born in Southampton, but his grandmother was from the Channel Islands. Under some quirky rule, she could have represented any of the Home Nations, so he was able to choose too. Go figure.

My real point being that every country's got non-national born players. My own son was born in London, but try telling him he's English. The vast majority of Scottish qualified players are because of parentage. Isn't that what you're arguing for some Irish players? When jokes get repeated ad nauseam, they tend to lose their shine. Oh,and I'm not sure how Declan Fitzpatrick's parents being from the north is relevant. He was still born in Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. I have no problem with these players being Irish qualified, even being Irish, but it's getting old when nations snipe at other nations for doing exactly the same thing. By the way, if you'd dug around you'd have come up with Budge Pountney. He was born in Southampton, but his grandmother was from the Channel Islands. Under some quirky rule, she could have represented any of the Home Nations, so he was able to choose too. Go figure.

resized_backpedal-meme-generator-you-should-backpedal-harder-d41d8c.jpg

Alex Allan - parents
Jim Hamilton - parents
Tim Swinson - Parents
Ben Toolis - Parents
Hugh Blake - Family
Blair Cowan - Parent
Rob Harley - Parent
Hamish Watson - Parent
David Denton - Parent
Sam Hidalgo-Clyne - Parent
Henry Pyrgos - Parent
Greig Tonks - Parent
Sean Maitland - Grandparent
Tommy Seymour - Grandparent
Tim Visser - Residency.

This is the breakdown of non Scottish born players in 2015 6Nations squad. If you try say ROG and Heaslip aren't Irish

Batman - No Parents

Latest posts