• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions Squad: 2009

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 24 2009, 07:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
so who's next in line, Blair, Peel, Cussiter or Care?

Think Blair may get the nod as he's the more physical of those 4 mentioned above.[/b]
ya he would be the more physical but id prefer to take peel or care
both would add something different compared to philips and ellis

problem is though of the 3 scrum halves picked we've lost the one in the best form. My preference would be for Care or Cussiter as they're something different to both Ellis and Phillips but you can see McGeechan going with relative like for like hence Blair being favourite.

out of that lot it'd be Care or Cussiter, although given the 3 picked passing doesn't seem to be the major priority!

Peel simply hasn't played enough though to be considered, isn't even starting tomorrow.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 24 2009, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Peel simply hasn't played enough though to be considered, isn't even starting tomorrow.[/b]

He has and played bloody well last week. The only real other options are Blair and Cusiter. But Peel is world class.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Apr 24 2009, 10:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Apr 24 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Isn't he still injured as well?[/b]

not sure if he's injured given he started last weekend against Quins but he didn't play the whole match.
[/b][/quote]

Crutches broke most likely.

Its hell trying to play rugby with crutches or a zimmaframe...

EDIT: NEWS JUST IN! TOMAS O'LEARY IN SERIOUS ANKLE INJURY! LIONS PLACE AVAILIBLE! PAGING DANNY CARE TO THREAD!

Cymro, how do you know Peel played well last week?

The Sale board says Wiggy came on and had a very good game. That probably being why Peel's demoted to the bench.

As for the sharpest pass... I would've thought Blair or Peel. :c When on form at least.

I'd bring Blair in for sure, the following two back-ups would be Peter Stringer and Chris Cusiter...Dwayne Peel is maybe just after them.

I would take Mike Blair personally, as a captain of his country you will have another individual in the changing room with the leadership qualities that any lions tour needs. I agree that Danny Care is a good player, but he is a bit of a hothead as he showed against us in the 6 nations getting sin binned. You dont need players with ill discipline going on tour to a place as hostile as South Africa and giving away petty penalties that could cost your team points that could lead to a loss.

Peter Stringer could have a shout, he is an extremely experienced scrum half. As he and ROG know each others games inside out as they've played together for many years now, will McGeechan choose him on this basis and as he has played well this season?

Thanks

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tomrugbyking10 @ Apr 25 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I would take Mike Blair personally, as a captain of his country you will have another individual in the changing room with the leadership qualities that any lions tour needs. I agree that Danny Care is a good player, but he is a bit of a hothead as he showed against us in the 6 nations getting sin binned. You dont need players with ill discipline going on tour to a place as hostile as South Africa and giving away petty penalties that could cost your team points that could lead to a loss.

Peter Stringer could have a shout, he is an extremely experienced scrum half. As he and ROG know each others games inside out as they've played together for many years now, will McGeechan choose him on this basis and as he has played well this season?

Thanks[/b]

He's been very good whenever he comes off the bench for O'Leary.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Apr 25 2009, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tomrugbyking10 @ Apr 25 2009, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks[/b]

He's been very good whenever he comes off the bench for O'Leary.
[/b][/quote]

granted it was a while ago now but he was awesome when Munster played the All Blacks and his performance against Scotland was probably the standout performance by any of the home nations scrum halves in the championship.

Latest posts