• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Lions: Return to Oz

It'll be mostly a Welsh team if Gatland gets the gig. It makes sense because Gatland will want them playing a similar style and its easier to pick players familiar with that style of play. He'll add in the best of the rest ie Gray, POC, Hartley (they'll look to demolish the Aussie scrum) etc.

Of course this will not help Wales in the following season.

Yeah quite true, but i must say no wales lock or hooker should be anywhere near the arena. They are simply dreadful. Hartley would be good as he brings, a real physical presence, although how is his throwing in at the lineouts? As for the locks, Ireland and Scotland will be the main candidates. However our depth at the backrow is going to be great. We have the choice of mobility or physicality which will enable us to change our game plan.

Last edited:
Yeah quite true, but i must say no wales lock or hooker should be anywhere near the arena. They are simply dreadful. Hartley would be good as he brings, a real physical presence, although how is his throwing in at the lineouts? As for the locks, Ireland and Scotland will be the main candidates. However our depth at the backrow is going to be great. We have the choice of mobility or physicality which will enable us to change our game plan.

Matthew Rees was good enough to start last time though, and if he's his usual self after coming back from injury will easily have a good chance of going. Although I more or less agree on lock, Charteris and Alun Wyn may have a chance but there are better players that could be picked from the other 3 countries. I reckon we'll see them take 1 Welsh lock max. A lot can happen in a year, I really shouldn't be predicting this early:p

so far my team for lions
1 ?
2 ?
3 murray
4 gray
5 lawes
6 warbuton
7 rennie/denton
8 faletau
9 phillips
10 sexton
11 north
12 roberts
13 davis
14 bowe possibly
15 hogg
16 ?
17 ?
18 oconnel
19 rennie/lydiet
20 youngs
21 flood
22 ashton

Murray?
Warburton at 6?
Denton at 7?
Philips at 9?
Davies at 13?
Youngs?
Flood?
Ashton?

I'll have some of what you're smoking, it sounds f***ing intense!

One thing that will be interesting will be Warburton vs Rennie.
I think Warburton will probably be named captain, and so will get automatic starts from that, but if Rennie keeps his form then I think (controversial opinion incoming) I think he is/will be better than Warburton... Or at least as good.

Last edited:
Imagine this:

Brad Barritt, Toby Faletau, Manu Tuilagi, Tim Visser, Mouritz Botha and Robbie Diack playing for the Lions ;) Apparently they are all eligible by 2013

My Completely unbiased team.

1. Healy
2. Cronin
3. Ross
4. Cullen
5. Toner
6. O'Brien
7. Ryan
8. Heaslip
9. McGrath
10. Sexton
11. Fitzgerald
12. McFadden
13. O'Driscoll (c)
14. D. Kearney
15. R. Kearney

16. Staruss (if qualified)
17. McGrath
18. Flanagan
19. Ruddock
20. Reddan
21. Madigan
22. Carr

We need as many Leinster players as possible to win.;)

Murray?
Warburton at 6?
Denton at 7?
Philips at 9?
Davies at 13?
Youngs?
Flood?
Ashton?

I'll have some of what you're smoking, it sounds f***ing intense!

One thing that will be interesting will be Warburton vs Rennie.
I think Warburton will probably be named captain, and so will get automatic starts from that, but if Rennie keeps his form then I think (controversial opinion incoming) I think he is/will be better than Warburton... Or at least as good.
Aahhhhmmm, dunno about that one myself pal! I think Rennie's been quality this tournament but Warburton is another level up. For me he's in the top 3 opensides in the world and although Tipuric got a lot of praise for his performance yesterday, Warburton's absence from the break-down was painfully obvious.

Also Olyy Warburon is 23 while Rennie is 26 so if anything Rennie is further along his development. Though of course Rennie's been excellent I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the tour at least.

I think Rennie is already as good as Warburton, though.
I'm not saying he needs to develop more, just that he needs to keep his form. Warburton could well improve though.
Warburton is fantastic, and Wales missed him a lot yesterday, but Rennie is also fantastic. The Lions will lose nothing picking either one of them (apart from possibly the captaincy of Warburton, but I'm sure there's someone else who could step up for that).

Elementary anyway, as Gatland will be named headcoach and Warburton will be named captain, Faletau will be named at 8 and Denton/Rennie will be lucky to make the dirt track team.
Ho Hum.

Last edited:
I think Rennie is already as good as Warburton, though.
I'm not saying he needs to develop more, just that he needs to keep his form. Warburton could well improve though.
Warburton is fantastic, and Wales missed him a lot yesterday, but Rennie is also fantastic. The Lions will lose nothing picking either one of them (apart from possibly the captaincy of Warburton, but I'm sure there's someone else who could step up for that).

Elementary anyway, as Gatland will be named headcoach and Warburton will be named captain, Faletau will be named at 8 and Denton/Rennie will be lucky to make the dirt track team.
Ho Hum.

I'm not looking forward to Gatland as Lions coach. At least it's a good Wales team but some calls will annoy me like possibly Lydiate over Ferris.

Wow ... some people in some of the last few posts this thread need to get a grip.

I'm gonna try put up a moderately acceptable team (and I don't even know why I'm bothering) based on the last 6 months or so:

15) R Kearney
14) T Bowe
13) M Tualagi
12) J Roberts
11) G North
10) J Sexton
9) M Phillips

8) T Faletau
7) S Warburton
6) S Ferris
5) P O'Connell
4) R Grey
3) A Jones
2) R Best
1) G Jenkins

Now be quiet all of you.

Feic's got it pretty much spot on there. I'd probably only change Bowe for Halfpenny and I think by the time it comes round there'll be someone else at stand-off.

I'm gonna try put up a moderately acceptable team (and I don't even know why I'm bothering) based on the last 6 months or so:

15) R Kearney
14) T Bowe
13) M Tualagi
12) J Roberts
11) G North
10) J Sexton
9) M Phillips

8) T Faletau
7) S Warburton
6) S Ferris
5) P O'Connell
4) R Grey
3) A Jones
2) R Best
1) G Jenkins

Now be quiet all of you.

Healy for Jenkins and O'Brien for Faletau, agree with everything else.

Healy for Jenkins and O'Brien for Faletau, agree with everything else.

I'd take Denton over SOB especially since the selectors would consider SOB a 7 as thats where he's been playing for the last few months

Oh there are lots of marginals that'd depend on how people will tour. Lawes could come in to the second row, Heaslip could be 8, etc. In that team I'd have Halfpenny on the bench. With Bowe in the form he is and with Sexton at 10 he wouldn't be as essential to have starting. Still a cracking player.

I'd consider bringing Owen Farrell too. :eek:

I'd take Denton over SOB especially since the selectors would consider SOB a 7 as thats where he's been playing for the last few months

Worth saying that Ireland have the best turnover stats in the tournament.

Denton's got to be at 8 if we're going on how well people are playing atm, he's been head and shoulders and torso and hips legs knees shins ankles and feet above every other 8 this 6N.

Latest posts