• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Jake wants his job back, within the week.

I think Iron Mike had some decent points, more so than most of the ref blaming earlier. Telling someone to go **** themselves is a bit inappropriate for this site though

3 Australian teams in the top 6 of the Super 14 this year Jer1cho.

South African doesn't have depth, it has two teams (Bulls and Stormers) who steal every good player from other regions, or anyone without loyalty.

Victor Matfield used to play for the Cats. Steenkamp used to play for the Cats. Zane Kirchner? The list goes on quite a way.

I think what is needed is someone to bring a bit of clarity as to the gameplan and the players to achieve it, could be anyone with half a spine

The Stormers are not that good. This year was the first time they actually made it to the Super14 play-offs. They do steal a lot of players from other teams but then again, that happens everywhere. The problem with SA rugby is that there is too much rivalry within the national squad. You can see the different groups during a training-session. Bulls on one side of the field, Stormers/WP on the other side, Sharks somewhere in the middle and there you have it! A national team divided into 3 groups. Whenever I see training sessions of other national teams I see a team, a group of 25 people. They have fun, share a laugh, make a joke.

That's the way it should be. Not teammates treating each other as the opponent just because they play for a different club.

Yeooh k. For such amazing players they never actually play that well, not since TVs were invented anyway

Totally right! My bad. Every South African player that has ever featured on television are average. Thanks for helping me come to my senses!

3 Australian teams in the top 6 of the Super 14 this year Jer1cho.

South African doesn't have depth, it has two teams (Bulls and Stormers) who steal every good player from other regions, or anyone without loyalty.

Victor Matfield used to play for the Cats. Steenkamp used to play for the Cats. Zane Kirchner? The list goes on quite a way.

Sorry, i meant we have far more (as in numbers) talented players then Australia does. I did not mean that all of our players are better than theirs. As far as 'stealing players' goes. It applies to all 3 unions.

New Zealand (Crusaders and Hurricanes have 80% of the All Blacks)
Australia (Brumbies and Reds are buying everybody, although they are slightly more balanced thanks to the Waratahs)
South Africa (Bulls and Stormers buy everyone, as you rightly pointed out, but the Sharks also have a number of SA players in the national squad.)

Australia's national team are quite the thieves though... :p

What I meant was where Australia have a 'star' every once in a while, we seem to produce these guys every year. Francois Hougaard, Patrick Lambie (who, mark my words, is going to be one of the best Springboks ever), Elton Jantjes of The Lions is another definite future Bok. I think it's just because rugby is taken far more seriously here than in Aus, and we have a billion rugby schools and clubs.

Last edited:
After reading thru this topic the opinions about Jake claiming to be coach are divided . I have read some good arguments ( pro -con) but at the end it's up to the players to realize stuff.
If those 25 guys don't know what it means to wear the green/gold colors then they aren't worth defending it.
I have been following the games of SA since the RWC and even when the coach changed they should have been able to put down better results. All those guys who were/ are in the team are talented, some of them are world class.
Ah yeah, we will see what they will do after the world cup.

Yeooh k. For such amazing players they never actually play that well, not since TVs were invented anyway

You're right, Fourie Du Preez,Danie Craven,Frik du Preez,Danie Gerber was all ****.

Australia (Brumbies and Reds are buying everybody, although they are slightly more balanced thanks to the Waratahs)

WRONG. <_<

I agree with everything else you've said though. :lol:

The Stormers are not that good. This year was the first time they actually made it to the Super14 play-offs. They do steal a lot of players from other teams but then again, that happens everywhere. The problem with SA rugby is that there is too much rivalry within the national squad. You can see the different groups during a training-session. Bulls on one side of the field, Stormers/WP on the other side, Sharks somewhere in the middle and there you have it! A national team divided into 3 groups. Whenever I see training sessions of other national teams I see a team, a group of 25 people. They have fun, share a laugh, make a joke.

That's the way it should be. Not teammates treating each other as the opponent just because they play for a different club.

This is the best thing I've ever heard as to why the Boks as a national team seem to struggle. It seems very valid aswell as I've seen photos of this, Bulls all hanging out.

If this is the problem in the current squad I don't see how Mr. White would solve this.

New Zealand (Crusaders and Hurricanes have 80% of the All Blacks)
South Africa (Bulls and Stormers buy everyone, as you rightly pointed out, but the Sharks also have a number of SA players in the national squad.)

What I meant was where Australia have a 'star' every once in a while, we seem to produce these guys every year. Francois Hougaard, Patrick Lambie (who, mark my words, is going to be one of the best Springboks ever), Elton Jantjes of The Lions is another definite future Bok. I think it's just because rugby is taken far more seriously here than in Aus, and we have a billion rugby schools and clubs.
Saying 80% of the All Blacks are Hurricanes or Crusaders is misleading as the Chiefs and Blues also have a decent number of players in the mix but out of favour, injured or knocking on the door and that mix will vary greatly year to year. The one constant obviously has been the Crusaders dominating but when they win every second year its not hard to see why. New Zealand has a much more even spread of players than South Africa and most years atleast 4 competitive teams.

Petes doing a fine job for all the minow teams who might have a look at beating them in the pool matches. Wouldnt that be the final straw.

Last edited:
Just thought I would add this to the conversation.

In his biography, John Smit said that when the Boks grouped together for the WC in 2007, that all the Bulls players were very humble about the S14 final, and he credits their behaviour as a somewhat of a unifier heading into the WC.

Now I realise if he said otherwise, it would have caused problems, and thus he would not have said otherwise, but I honestly do believe what he said is the truth, and I really don't see how the attitude could have changed so dramatically, unless the Stormers players are ****-stirrers, which I doubt.
So I really don't see how this could be attributed to poor performances, or maybe I am not as clued up about jock (not the Scottish kind) culture as I thought.

Bah

New Zealand has a much more even spread of players than South Africa and most years atleast 4 competitive teams.

In previous years maybe yes but recently ? I dont recall that being the case but I am speaking from memory which aint so good anymore :) , besides 4 competitive teams ? I think u pushing it a lot here not just a bit.

New Zealand has a much more even spread of players than South Africa and most years atleast 4 competitive teams.
Im not so sure about that one Woody, its a hard thing to prove considering South Africa is a bigger country with more registered players than New Zealand. That does not mean your wrong though, I just think its a bold statement.

I do agree with New Zealands teams playing to a good competitive standard throughout the years of Super Rugby. All 5 teams have made it into a Super final but yeah its mainly 4 out of the 5 they go really well or ok.

I'm calling bullshit. Jake White is not seriously campaigning for head coach imo. Can't explain his motives though.
Honestly who does this in the media and is serious about getting considered. Even if SARU were interested in hiring him they wouldn't now just on a matter of principle.