• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italian Rugby

i can actually see Italy getting a shocker against Argentina if they play the same way they did against Samoa

I hope so.
Actually I think that the Pumas will very hardly lose another game and at the same time Italy must keep the same focus as yesterday. And this is our biggest problem. We never do it two games in a row...:rolleyes:

Eccellenza, IV^ Giornata â€" 9 novembre 2014

Ima Pol. Lazio Rugby 1927 â€" G. S. Fiamme Oro Rugby Roma, 31 â€" 25 (4-1)
Lafert San Donà â€" R. C. I Cavalieri Prato, 52 â€" 5 (5-0)
L’Aquila Rugby Club â€" Rugby Viadana, 3 â€" 38 (0-5)
Cammi Rugby Calvisano â€" Femi Cz Rugby Rovigo, 18 â€" 19 (1-4)
Rugby Petrarca Padova â€" Marchiol Mogliano, 26 â€" 21 (4-1)

Classifica: Rugby Viadana punti 18; Cammi Calvisano punti 16; Femi Cz Rovigo punti 14; Marchiol Mogliano punti 13; Lafert San Donà punti 11; Fiamme Oro Roma punti 10; Ima Lazio punti 9; Petrarca Padova punti 6; RC Cavalieri Prato e L’Aquila Rugby Club punti 0.

Results of the last round of Eccellenza.
Quite a surprise to see Lazio beating Fiamme Oro, in a local derby it can happen!
The big match of the day was Calvisano-Rovigo, last season's final! Rovigo won by one with a last gasp try!
A good win for Padova aswell, who are struggling a bit this season!

If Italy play like they did in the second half, minus the handling errors, then they have a real chance against the Pumas - they have a pack weakened by injury, especially the back row, and what looks to me a really odd back line selection. I thought Parisse looked a little off the pace, what did you Italians think? He's still a quality player and his reading of the game was exceptional as ever, but he didn't quite dominate the game like you expect from him. Is he getting older ... ?

I'm really looking forward to this one, I'm in two minds about who I want to win ... I consider Argentina my second team to some degree, but there's no doubt the win is more important to Italy. It's a real shame reading some of the stuff in this thread about how the domestic game is struggling, a stronger Italy side would be good for European and world rugby, not to mention attracting a few more Italian fans to the game. I'm an English teacher in London, so I have met and spoken to a lot of people from all over the world, including Italy, and it has always struck me how little interest Italians in general actually have in rugby. Basically, I get the impression for most of Italy it's football or nothing, which is a real shame.

If Italy play like they did in the second half, minus the handling errors, then they have a real chance against the Pumas - they have a pack weakened by injury, especially the back row, and what looks to me a really odd back line selection. I thought Parisse looked a little off the pace, what did you Italians think? He's still a quality player and his reading of the game was exceptional as ever, but he didn't quite dominate the game like you expect from him. Is he getting older ... ?

I'm really looking forward to this one, I'm in two minds about who I want to win ... I consider Argentina my second team to some degree, but there's no doubt the win is more important to Italy. It's a real shame reading some of the stuff in this thread about how the domestic game is struggling, a stronger Italy side would be good for European and world rugby, not to mention attracting a few more Italian fans to the game. I'm an English teacher in London, so I have met and spoken to a lot of people from all over the world, including Italy, and it has always struck me how little interest Italians in general actually have in rugby. Basically, I get the impression for most of Italy it's football or nothing, which is a real shame.

I have the impression that italian people want only to see main opponent players but don't care about club,that's the only reason why they make soldout with New Zealand,SA,Australia or 6 nations teams but there is no interest against team like Samoa,Tonga,Fiji,Canada,Japan or USA. During Pro 12 games stadiums are almost empty,without to talk about italian championship.
About Parisse,I have the feeling he cares only about club but when he plays with national team he doesn't care so much,but he's not the only one who behave in that way

Here it is last week end results
Cammi Rugby Calvisano V Lafert San Donà 39-3
FemiCz Rovigo V Lazio 35-11
Fiamme Oro V L'Aquila 34-3
Marchiol Mogliano V Viadana 22–12
Cavalieri Prato v Petrarca Padova 0-34

Standings
Calvisano 21,Rovigo 19,Viadana 18,Mogliano 17,Fiamme Oro 15,Petrarca Padova 11,San Donà 11,Lazio 9,L'Aquila 0,Cavalieri Prato 0

Sorry for the late answer, I was lost in the forum :D

Maybe my answer is not useful because it's a late one, but I give you my 2 cents anyway.

Italy lost to Pumas simply because we are not used to manage point to point games. We have a strange "fear of winning", someone could call it looser mentality. And this is really like that, it's crystal clear to me how our players lose their calmness and start acting chaotic, and related penalties come along. It's something you see less by us when we are against much stronger teams or losing by a huge gap. That's why they start playing without pressure and they have unconsciously nothing to lose.
That's our biggest problem for the National major Team, way before our ridiculous lack of attacking game.

Basis rugby struggles because of another huge problem: we have no graduated teachers and trainers or coaches. We really need to learn how to create a production chain of skilled players. Nowdays we just put faith in talented born players and average workers.

About Parisse: recently he declared he played whole last year with a back injury, which didn't allow him to play as he's used to. In fact, after this summer in which he hasn't been selected for our Tour he took a good rest, now he's back in shape and he proved that in last 2 games (to me, MoM with Samoa).
I don't agree with MauriSca7 about his attitude with National team, at all. I think opposite. He's always the last one who drops battle weapons and tries to put light in every aspect of our game. Maybe he's not perfect with strategy choices during the game, he's surely latin :D But I trust in his effort with Azzurri without doubt.

Your impression about sport in Italy is more or less correct, but it's much more true if you're looking it from a media point of view. If you watch tv or listen to radio, 99% is football. In reality, we have a lot of people involved in volleyball, basketball, cycling, swimming and so on. But it's anyway the minority, I agree.
This is why in Italy sports are almost ignored at every stage of schools. Like in the highschool I attended at 2 hour per week physical education lesson. And that's it. If you want to practice sport you have to do it after school.

Last edited:
Sorry guys for my absence, I have problems with connection at the moment! From Thursday everything will resolve!

oh it wasn't a while ago :| anyway are you going to add the flag back ?

It's official, Jacques Brunel will leave Italy after the World Cup

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,16024_9583085,00.html

Here we are at the same point of every WC..we have a coach who already knows he will not be in that position at the end of the tournament, such as Kirwan after RWC2011.. I think this is a great problem, above all for the players... I only hope we can sign a world class coach to revitalize our NT..

As a scot i know how you feel, Since Andy Robinson Left we too had problems getting to know our coach even though i hope it stick With Vern.

Anyway, i dont really know who would you like as coach ?, i dont know who'd be good for the Job atm, no one in the pro 12, The Italian Teams aren't doing too well atm, maybe Fabio Ongaro ? or one the old Zebre managers i really dont know who will get the job after Brunel tbh

As a scot i know how you feel, Since Andy Robinson Left we too had problems getting to know our coach even though i hope it stick With Vern.

Anyway, i dont really know who would you like as coach ?, i dont know who'd be good for the Job atm, no one in the pro 12, The Italian Teams aren't doing too well atm, maybe Fabio Ongaro ? or one the old Zebre managers i really dont know who will get the job after Brunel tbh

There are rumours saying Jake White could be our next coach..he has been linked to Toulon aswell, I have no doubt that if he has to choose between Toulon or Italy, he will book a plane ticket for France :)
I'd like to see an Italian coach coaching our NT, but unfortunately at the moment, nobody is ready to take the job.

A question for the Italians in this thread.

What were your impressions of Nick Mallett during his reign coaching Italy ?

Latest posts