• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Italian Rugby

I think a lot of people don't have a lot of memory. Treviso did really good things in the last few years, beating nearly every other Pro12 teams, including Leinster, Munster, Ulster and Ospreys..
They are really suffering the fact that they built this season's team in a very short time and also after every other team in the competition. It's not Trevisos fault, it's the management fault who where really late in confirming the presence of the Italians in The cup. Benetton lost a lot of players (more than 20) including a lot of internationals. Rebuilding a team is not easy in any case, think what your team would do if they didn't have the certainty to play Pro12 until may!
For Zebre was different, they didn't lose so many players and at the moment they are the best Italian team. Let's give Treviso time to arrange a good team, they are already building it for next season and this will be good!

To the Italian's on the forum, do you think that dropping the Italian teams from the Pro 12 and include them into the Eccellenza be a good thing ?. Because I originally thought it be good as it would make the Eccellenza more interesting for young players in Italy and giving them a better to play against some off the big names ?

To the Italian's on the forum, do you think that dropping the Italian teams from the Pro 12 and include them into the Eccellenza be a good thing ?. Because I originally thought it be good as it would make the Eccellenza more interesting for young players in Italy and giving them a better to play against some off the big names ?

I don't think it will be good for Benetton and Treviso if dropped to Eccellenza. This would mean that every international of the teams would go to play abroad, leaving the teams with no internationals.
The level of Italian Eccellenza is low but it doesn't prevent young talents from growing up really well...

btw, wtf is this thread doing in Tier 2/Tier 3 ?! Just noticed...or was this moved ?..

btw, wtf is this thread doing in Tier 2/Tier 3 ?! Just noticed...or was this moved ?..
No, it was made in this Section and I think it was because off the way that Italy has been playing recently that we have just look at them as a tier 2 team.

Hi Everyone!I am a new member! How many Italians are on this forum?
Welcome!, wow there wasn't that many Italians here and numbers are growing fast! haha welcome though.

At the moment there are @MauriSca7 @Andre8 @Hap and @Noodles who doesn't reply in this thread for some reason, but anyway welcome again, so who is your favourite team ? both Pro 12 and Eccellenza would be good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you! Actually I am a rugby fan in general and I play at low level in Italy. I follow both Zebre and Treviso in PRO12 and my hometown team in Serie B (Italian 3rd division)!

Thank you! Actually I am a rugby fan in general and I play at low level in Italy. I follow both Zebre and Treviso in PRO12 and my hometown team in Serie B (Italian 3rd division)!
Brilliant stuff!, and don't mind me asking but where is you hometown ?

I have faith in Italian Rugby again. This past EOYT was pretty encouraging on the whole, and at very least tons better than the 6N/June tests.

Benevento! It's a small town in Southern, 1 hour from naples, 2 hour from Rome, but actully I live near Rome! I join this forum mainly to understand which is the perception abroad about italian rugby! I think we have big problems...unfortunately!

Benevento! It's a small town in Southern, 1 hour from naples, 2 hour from Rome, but actully I live near Rome! I join this forum mainly to understand which is the perception abroad about italian rugby! I think we have big problems...unfortunately!
Well my thoughts on Italy are that yes, they are struggling. But they use to be about the same ability as Scotland but with us getting some great players coming through thanks to Vern, I'm sure Italy are capable they just need the right coach to get them there. From Italy I Really like Leonardo Sarto and Michele Campagnaro so like Scotland, Italy has the players to make a good team they need the right coach to make the players reach they're potential.

Yes, probably we have players to make a good team but many of them are "veterans" and actually I don't see enough replacemant. When Zanni, Parisse or Geldenhuys there will be good replacement? I'm not sure of that!

Yes, probably we have players to make a good team but many of them are "veterans" and actually I don't see enough replacemant. When Zanni, Parisse or Geldenhuys there will be good replacement? I'm not sure of that!

the same discourse as usual for Italian Rugby. But there are some new faces that have shown interesting things. It might not show greatly this 6N but Italy have come a long way this past year and a half. May not show because everybody else is improved right now. Eng are on the verge of hosting their WC at home, Ireland are living their peak to date simply, Wales are still strong, and then even France managed to progress a tad bit and Scotland with Cotter now are really a team to be reckoned with.

It's very possible France will lose in Rome this year, AGAIN, but it shouldn't be counted on either. Their other home games include opening with Ireland, and finishing with Wales. Maybe they can shock the Welsh in the final weekend, especially if they've had all losses to that point, and find an average Welsh side that had trouble in Cardiff last year against those same Italians.
Twickenham and Murrayfield are going to be too hard I feel though. I reckon France and Wales in Rome are the two targets, surely.

Hi Scotty, very interesting question.
I think we should go on with Pro12 with the 2 teams, possibly without managing delays and mistakes (Andre8 explained in his previous post).
About Eccellenza I think we should stop importing foreign average level players. This is because teams haven't money/knowledge to build skills in young players and so they take some plug-and-play second level players. If we could make a U turn about that and improve in teaching smart rugby to youngsters we would really become competitive.

Ok I have another question about the Eccellenza, see the players who play's for a pro 12 team and doesn't get picked in the 23 man squad regularly. Do they then go to a Eccellenza team to play rugby there.

Ok I have another question about the Eccellenza, see the players who play's for a pro 12 team and doesn't get picked in the 23 man squad regularly. Do they then go to a Eccellenza team to play rugby there.

Are you talking about "permit players"? Ok! The situation is this: Treviso and Zebre can take "permit players" from Eccellenza in case of emergency or for other reasons! Actually, as far as I know, there isn't an "inverse process": Treviso or Zebre players cannot play with a Eccellenza team.

Are you talking about "permit players"? Ok! The situation is this: Treviso and Zebre can take "permit players" from Eccellenza in case of emergency or for other reasons! Actually, as far as I know, there isn't an "inverse process": Treviso or Zebre players cannot play with a Eccellenza team.
That's the answer I was looking for and I think that's one off Italy's down points, I don't see why they don't do that, especially with the form the International team are in just now they need to get youngsters getting as much rugby game time in as they can and if they don't regularly start for they're pro 12 side and not move down into the Eccellenza then how are they going to get better if they're not getting played. Scotland do that with the BT Premiership and it is effective, See Finn Russell ? our new 10. He got his Glasgow contract in 2012 and off course with players like Duncan Weir (who was actually not bad in 2012) and Rory Jackson in competition with him for the 10 jersey Russell still played games for Ayr RFC and played really well and then he got his first Glasgow game against Zebre in 2013 and made a huge impact and then the year after that he started to start for Glasgow and started in the Pro 12 final last year. Then he went on to get him his first Scotland cap and he is now our first choice 10. If you ever have seen scores from the BT Premiership then this is why you see players like Nikki Walker and Glenn Bryce, Zander Fagerson, Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Fraser Lyle playing for BT Premiership teams and those 4 players have Glasgow Warrior contracts.

That's the answer I was looking for and I think that's one off Italy's down points, I don't see why they don't do that, especially with the form the International team are in just now they need to get youngsters getting as much rugby game time in as they can and if they don't regularly start for they're pro 12 side and not move down into the Eccellenza then how are they going to get better if they're not getting played. Scotland do that with the BT Premiership and it is effective, See Finn Russell ? our new 10. He got his Glasgow contract in 2012 and off course with players like Duncan Weir (who was actually not bad in 2012) and Rory Jackson in competition with him for the 10 jersey Russell still played games for Ayr RFC and played really well and then he got his first Glasgow game against Zebre in 2013 and made a huge impact and then the year after that he started to start for Glasgow and started in the Pro 12 final last year. Then he went on to get him his first Scotland cap and he is now our first choice 10. If you ever have seen scores from the BT Premiership then this is why you see players like Nikki Walker and Glenn Bryce, Zander Fagerson, Jerry Yanuyanutawa, Fraser Lyle playing for BT Premiership teams and those 4 players have Glasgow Warrior contracts.

That's what I would like to see in Italy, but we are so stupid to understand this...

Latest posts