• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v Wales

I am consoled in the fact that within the next 2 years we'll be competing for the Grand Slam again. That's how it goes down yurr.

Are you guys preparing for another dreadful World Cup or do you think Gatland and Edwards will turn it round by next year?

Well played Ireland

Very uninpired Welsh team, who was more regular in the game than in the previous ones, but lost at the same time their pure moments of creative rebellion.

2 or 3 penalties for them that would have been given for Ireland, especially for not leaving the ball...
When do you Irish will stop this habit to dive or fall each time you can in the opposite side ? You've clearly prooven today that your defense is good enough not to use it to slow down the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Mar 14 2010, 05:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well played Ireland

Very uninpired Welsh team, who was more regular in the game than in the previous ones, but lost at the same time their pure moments of creative rebellion.

2 or 3 penalties for them that would have been given for Ireland, especially for not leaving the ball...
When do you Irish will stop this habit to dive or fall each time you can in the opposite side? You've clearly prooven today that your defense is good enough not to use it to slow down the game.[/b]

:huh:

DUW DUW (as us welsh would say), yet another poor performance by us. Just seems to be the basics lacking. Why is it that we can't secure set piece ball (Ireland are extremely good at this tho). I'm all for attacking rugby (in fact i hate watching forward orientated slow rugby) but one cannot score any tries without a ball. When wales go middle (9/10 times we lose possession), so why don't we go front (secure) ball to Charteris and work it from there. Better having slow ball in attack than dealing with fast ball (for opposition) defending.
Taking whole game into account Ireland truly deserved win, more clinical in every way. Did find that referee was a bit inconsistant in decisions (not that it would have effected the game too much).

ah well.
Wooden spoon playoff next match???
:( :( :(

Well what a game ... Delighted for Earls as his class is finally starting to filter on to the International scene.

Delighted with the way we played, Sexton wasn't great but wasn't poor and will gradually improve and grow into the 10 shirt.
Will be interesting to see about the 15 jersey next week. I think Murphy still holds possession of it.

O'Leary showed today why he is by far our best 9 and I still believe Stringer should be on bench.
All in all great win and Heaslip again steady as a house at scrum and definitely in my opinion best 8 in world.

MoM could have gone to any of Wallace, Earls and O'Leary, personally I would have chosen Wallace. Good win, let's keep it up.

Not too sure about the new directive for referees either, in principle great idea, but if penalties are going to be given like the one against Wallace for ripping the ball of Roberts it will remove all the contest from the breakdown. Hopefully just a mistake from the referee on that occasion, as if you are trying to rip the ball from the player (not tackle him) you shouldn't have to let go off the ball surely?

and if you have to release a player before you can jackle for the ball, surely the player can get up again, as he isn't being held?

Hmmm, excellent point.

I suppose once the tackle is completed you have to release the ball, so once the tackle is completed, the tackled player has to release the ball and the tackler has to roll away? Let confusion commence, hopefully it will pay off once the RWC rolls around and it isn't a borefest in general.

My man-of-the-match was the Referee, managed to take the game away from Wales, and almost Irealnd, single handedly. In my opinon, he seemed to make the wrong decision at every single breakdown, scrums where a mess, he should have given that penalty try or at least a Yellow Card when Ireland gave away all those penalties. Ireland took advantage of what was wrongly given to them better than Wales did, and hence won. Awful refereeing.

eah but I thought he was equally unfair on both teams... slightly more unfair on Ireland tbh... I'm gonna get complaints about that I'd expect though

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Mar 13 2010, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
eah but I thought he was equally unfair on both teams... slightly more unfair on Ireland tbh... I'm gonna get complaints about that I'd expect though[/b]

i agree with you. he seemed to not realise the tackler had released the player and got back on their feet most of the time.
the main problem for referees is the scrum it's taking to long, this needs to be sorted out.
BTW the ref was correct in giving a yellow card to byrne as it was a proffessional foul and it killed the ball.

Yeah, we've got no problem with that. There is a problem with 10+ Irish infringements (correct or not) going without any further punishment; ie: a yellow card.
EDIT: ang on, I don't mean you should have had 10 yellow cards, just the amount of penalties without one being produced took the biscuit!

Ok yeah but only like 3 of the penalties were legitimate. The rest were rubbish.

The referee had an excellent game. He was consistent all day, and explained every decision he made clearly and didn't deviate at the breakdown, apart from one BS call against David Wallace he was consistent at the breakdown all day. If the tackler doesn't allow the tackled player to release the ball = penalty.

Ireland and Wales refusal to adapt to his interpretations after multiple penalties doesn't say much about them on the other hand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Mar 14 2010, 08:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
EDIT: ang on, I don't mean you should have had 10 yellow cards, just the amount of penalties without one being produced took the biscuit![/b]
You can have your biscuit back. I had a nibble, and it was stale and a bit mouldy.

This new breakdown rule sucks ..is this being brought into underage or adult club level rugby ? if so it makes a fetchers job far more difficult adn far less effective...

also i belive that turnover ball actually makes the game more interesting as many good quick counterattacking tries are scored off the back of a steal

Yes, because that is the only time in the game you can get quick ball because the tacklers are holding on to it for 2 to 3 seconds after every tackle. This is a welcome directive in my opinion, we might actually see teams attack regularly now except only on turnovers/inside opposition 22.

Plus, turnovers are still possible, David Wallace one plenty of penalties and made a few turnovers today, just not by the tackler unless he releases first. You can still jackal and win penalties and turnovers if you arrive at the breakdown first, so guys like Brussow and Pocock who are always there first will still be huge assets.

Lads I know we are critisising the ref but I actually thought he was good today.
Problem was IRB screwed up bi time introducing these changes in middle of 6Nations.

Mr Joubert did explain every decision and while I agree it a joke at breakdown he was (may I add accurately) calling decisions correctly.
Ireland were lucky because we had a record 16+ penalty count today and didn't see one yellow card.

But Wales I think are in process of reinventing themselves and players such as Bradley Davies can be world-class.

Wales, as woeful as they've been all tournament it's just they didn't play well at all this game. There have been brief period in all the games where we've played well, even for a period as short as 7 mins (against the scots).
But we couldn't be arsed to play this time.
Oh, and how many people are hating the phrase "comeback kings"
In my opinion, you can't be a comeback king if in 3 attempts of "coming-back" you only actually succeed in gaining victory once.
We don't deserve a ***le, even one of such tongue-in-cheek proportions.

Ireland didn't really impress me either. Granted, they didn't need to do that much to beat Wales, when every opposition line out is handed to you on a plate and nobody likes first time tackles, but they didn't seem to fire on all cylinders.
Like with any other 6 nations squad right now, if they pulled out that kind of a performance they showed on a 6N field against a 3N side...they'd get royally hammered.