• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland v New Zealand (13/11)

im not sure what i said that was different to that, never said dont try and win

it was quite literally more along the lines of "**** that was a good game, much better than last week"

some people really struggling with the idea that other people can think differently to them
Fair point about other people thinking differently about it... but certainly not my approach to sport.

Fair point about other people thinking differently about it... but certainly not my approach to sport.
putting the result above enjoying it?, fair enough, i know those that i have known like that just stopped getting invited to the pub after a while

The team can and should be ruthless, im not an all black though so as a spectator i just want to enjoy it

putting the result above enjoying it?, fair enough, i know those that i have known like that just stopped getting invited to the pub after a while

The team can and should be ruthless, im not an all black though so as a spectator i just want to enjoy it.

Totally agree, vital that spectators enjoy it, otherwise they wouldn't bother watching the game... so I'm saying I get the most satisfaction out of a match with a combo of enjoyment & winning.

We all want to see good games of rugby... unfortunately the refs play a big part in mucking up the game with pedantic refereeing & not giving a stuff about the offside rule.

Why would any kiwi enjoy us losing to the Boks or any other side ? - supporters of any team are never going to enjoy it when their team loses... but if another team performs better on the day & wins, all credit to them, doesn't mean you have to like it though :)
Everyone I ever talk to is happy when we lose, both happy and sad if they watched it, just happy if they didn't. Happy because it's boring when we win all the time. There's a lot of people who once used to watch the all blacks but no longer do because we win all the time. It was a little different when we lost to ireland for the first time, because everyone was quite proud of that record so wasn't really happy that they won in terms of the all blacks having better competition, although everyone was happy for the Irish given what it meant for them, just like everyone was happy for the Argentinians when they beat us.

Everyone I've watched rugby with in quite some years spends their time berating the ref for decisions that favour us - because they want a challenge. To the point that they are blind to the decisions that go against us and see way more than exist of decisions that favour us.

I remember watching us against fiji at a pub this year and the whole pub was supporting fiji, cheering loudly when they did something good, pretty quiet when the all blacks did something good. That's slightly different I guess because New Zealanders just want our pacific island cousins to do well and it's not like they were ever a chance of actually beating us, but I think part of it is just that longing for competition.

So foster is a good coach haha.

Everyone I ever talk to is happy when we lose, both happy and sad if they watched it, just happy if they didn't. Happy because it's boring when we win all the time. There's a lot of people who once used to watch the all blacks but no longer do because we win all the time. It was a little different when we lost to ireland for the first time, because everyone was quite proud of that record so wasn't really happy that they won in terms of the all blacks having better competition, although everyone was happy for the Irish given what it meant for them, just like everyone was happy for the Argentinians when they beat us.

Everyone I've watched rugby with in quite some years spends their time berating the ref for decisions that favour us - because they want a challenge. To the point that they are blind to the decisions that go against us and see way more than exist of decisions that favour us.

I remember watching us against fiji at a pub this year and the whole pub was supporting fiji, cheering loudly when they did something good, pretty quiet when the all blacks did something good. That's slightly different I guess because New Zealanders just want our pacific island cousins to do well and it's not like they were ever a chance of actually beating us, but I think part of it is just that longing for competition.

Everyone I talk to don't like it when the ABs lose - it isn't boring that the ABs win most of the time, boring would be if we lost on most occasions... also it's up to some of the other teams to improve the standard of their game, not the ABs dropping their standard so some of these teams can be more competitive, that would be utterly ridiculous.

Some people will go for the underdog in any sport because they like to see an upset.

what's with Foster is a good coach haha comment ?

Everyone I talk to don't like it when the ABs lose - it isn't boring that the ABs win most of the time, boring would be if we lost on most occasions... also it's up to some of the other teams to improve the standard of their game, not the ABs dropping their standard so some of these teams can be more competitive, that would be utterly ridiculous.

Some people will go for the underdog in any sport because they like to see an upset.

Well we clearly move in different circles.

The foster comment was a joke, suggesting if foster makes us more likely to lose then he must be a good coach.

The foster comment was a joke, suggesting if foster makes us more likely to lose then he must be a good coach.
sounds like you're friends are a lot more similar to mine

Hah - certainly don't take this attitude during the Bledisloe.

This comment gets trotted out every time. The statement is true but it's nonsensical as a response to the point that the All Blacks winning all the time is boring.

The essence of sport is competition and when that wanes so does interest, regardless of the reasons.

@Derpus well, thats got something on the line, but also, surely you realise almost all the banter that flys around about the bledisloe is just that Banter, i get most passionate about the fact so many aussies have given up on it completely

and per your second point, the AB's at the only really successful sports team i follow, all my others are battlers...and i can can i get more enjoyment out of any of those other teams winning

@Derpus well, thats got something on the line, but also, surely you realise almost all the banter that flys around about the bledisloe is just that Banter, i get most passionate about the fact so many aussies have given up on it completely

and per your second point, the AB's at the only really successful sports team i follow, all my others are battlers...and i can can i get more enjoyment out of any of those other teams winning
Huh?

even the guys at my rugby club think the bledisloe is so unattainable they dont care, hard to have a good bit of fun banter when its one sided
Oh yeah they should just declare that NZ have won it in perpetuity. Most of the boys at my subbies club didn't even watch rugby - only league.

Last edited:
Hah - certainly don't take this attitude during the Bledisloe.
I think the kiwis you mix with are NZbloke's friends haha. Actually one guy I know passionately doesn't want to lose to the wallabies ever. Others are more like me who preferred the days when they were competitive.

When I was playing sport had a very competitive mindset, if you have your foot on the oppositions throat keep it there & finished them off - one of the main reasons the ABs have the best win/loss record in the history of the game is because of their ruthless attitude throughout the years.
Personally I've always said I would rather lose a very tight game than winning without any real challenge. The adrenaline rush you get in a close game is so much better than just being happy with an easy win. Obviously I'm not happy to lose, but I enjoy the whole experience more than just turning up, winning and that's it. There is a difference between being happy that you lost and enjoying a game of rugby where you lost.

We definitely move in different circles... it's beyond belief why anyone would want to support the other side against their own national team.

the joke is on you - I've never said Foster is a ' very good ' or ' a great coach ' ...he's done stuff all to counter the rushing defense for example.
Obviously Foster wasn't the best coach the NZRU could've selected anyway... what I'm saying is in ' very tight matches ' if we had a better coach that has the insight to select the right players, get the tactics right, read play from the stand knowing when to change a player, whether they're playing poorly etc, that ability makes all the difference in giving us a better chance of winning those tight ones as said, it's just common sense stuff.

Personally I've always said I would rather lose a very tight game than winning without any real challenge. The adrenaline rush you get in a close game is so much better than just being happy with an easy win. Obviously I'm not happy to lose, but I enjoy the whole experience more than just turning up, winning and that's it. There is a difference between being happy that you lost and enjoying a game of rugby where you lost.
Not in my mindset to want to lose mate :) you can still enjoy the game & want to win too... if the other team play better on the day & beat us, they deserved the win.

Latest posts