TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
16137.2.jpg

Ireland are set to review their opening Six Nations victory over Italy in Rome before deciding whether to make an official complaint about referee Romain Poite's handling of the game.

The 2009 Grand Slam champions edged out the Azzurri 13-11 at the Stadio Flaminio on Saturday but were thumped 13-5 on the penalty count and were pinged numerous times at the scrum.

A conspiratorial element was added to the match when Italy coach Nick Mallett revealed that Poite had written to the Italian Rugby Federation apologising for the way he refereed prop Martin Castrogiovanni at the set piece in the fixture last year.

"I was made aware of the fact the referee had written to the Italian union to apologise for his handling of the game last year," said head coach Declan Kidney. "When I asked him, the referee informed me that was just the opposition coach trying to put the pressure on him. I'll look at the video and if we need to make an appropriate enquiry we will do so.

"Most of the penalties did seem to come at the scrum but we've been told there's an avenue for us to approach this. We've been asked to trust it and that's what I'll do. I'll make my case to the appropriate authorities. Rugby is a tough game to adjudicate on, but I'll trust that first and see what type of reaction I get from it."

Ireland were rescued from an embarrassing defeat by a 78th minute drop-goal from Ronan O'Gara shortly after a try from fullback Luke McLean had nudged Italy ahead. Kidney was delighted with the response of his team when faced with one of the greatest upsets in the championship's history.

"Those last four minutes are something you can't coach. You either have it or you don't - and we had it," he said. "We could have just panicked, but we didn't - either in attack or defence.

"I know how hard the players try and there were a few wild passes. Once we'd made one or two, we tried harder and harder," said Kidney. "If that's a frustration, I have to look upon it as a positive frustration. We just have to calm down and hang on to the ball.

"In golfing terminology, we can't force the swing so much. France next Sunday will be delighted if we turn the ball over as much as we did against Italy."

Jamie Heaslip could return to face the Grand Slam champions in Dublin after making encouraging progress in his battle with an ankle injury. Andrew Trimble's arm problem is also healing rapidly, but Stephen Ferris is a bigger doubt because of his knee injury.

http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/story/133960.html

why are ireland surprised that they gave away 000s of penalties at the scrum when they've got one half-decent prop in the entire country, playing against a team that's known for its scrummaging abilities?

Because even when Ireland are crap, they're still the best in the world. And everyone should know that.

To be honest I think they have a case this time round.

Ireland havent had a scrum in a long time so we finally pick a scrummaging tighthead but Poite allows their loosehead to slip the bind, bore in and drive up. I have no problem if our scrum was dominated in the same way that Scotlands was against France (and Irelands was over the past year) but this was not the case. This was blatantly illegal scrummaging ignored by the referee. When the Italians failed to get a shove on, they could collapse it with impunity, and get the reset, if it collapsed on the Irish looshead side (as the scrum crabs across), instant penalty? Nahhh not right.

Either way, there isnt going to be some formal appeal of the refereeing but its interesting to hear Kidney (who usually says nothing) mention it post match.

None of this really had too much of an impact on the game as Italy failed to capitalised but Poite will referee Leinster vs Leicester in two months so its a worry and it needs to be addressed. Those Leinster props locked the scrum against both Racing and Clermont (a certain Mr Domingo), they havent become bad overnight.

Last edited:
I echo what GG said - Weakest scrum in the world vs one of the better sides at it
Of course Ireland were going to get dicked in that aspect, what did Kidney expect?

It's Kidney taking a leaf from the Venter/Gatland/Woodward mantra. Knowing full well his tight 8 are going to get well and truly ass-f*&ked against the French he's leaning on the distraction and diversion via the media to court some favour.

It won't work mind, but he's allowed to hope at least.

I echo what GG said - Weakest scrum in the world vs one of the better sides at it
Thats the same Irish front row that locked out against Clermont (Domingo, Paulo, and Zirakashvili) and Racing (Lo Cicero, Noirot and Orlandi).

Didn't realise Best was an Leinster-man?

Irish scrum =/= Leinster scrum, even if they do have the same props (and hooker for a portion of the game)
I reckon you could put the full leinster pack into the Irish team and it would implode for some reason - Something about wearing Green that does that to them :S

Best is probably a better scrummager then Strauss so the point is moot. I was just pointing out that the assumptions were flawed is all.

I agree that the Irish scrum WAS one of the weakest in world rugby, its been **** for far too long. This is not the same scrum though, keep that in mind is all I ask.

Ha its always refreshing to hear someone else moaning rather than Gatland!

Mike Ross made the premiership team of the season a few years back and was marching Domingo of France back a few weeks ago when playing for Leinster.

That aside, he'll still have his head pushed through his own arsehole on Sunday.

Because even when Ireland are crap, they're still the best in the world. And everyone should know that.

It's true, even now when the country is ****** we're totally awesome, Mite's just jealous because he's only half awesome.

Regardless of whether a complaint is made or not, I hope the refs address this issue urgently ... they made it clear that they were going to address the binding and the scrum feed issues this year ... the ref was slack on both in this game

It's true, even now when the country is ****** we're totally awesome, Mite's just jealous because he's only half awesome.

You been posting on Planet rugby recently? They all appear delusional too! ;)

Lads it was same when Munster were going well. The provinces get their set up right and do well but IRFU can't seem to get it correct. My recent example is Alan Gaffney.
When he was with Leinster I felt sorry for some of back play there and made players look bad. He left and well look at those same players now. We have to realize it's vital to get coaching correct and in par with modern game

If he doesnt will you change your sig to "I Love Ronan O'Gara. True man love baby!"

It is decided! If Ireland give away equal or less penalties than France from the Scrum Bullitt must change his sig to "I Love Ronan O'Gara"

It is decided! If Ireland give away equal or less penalties than France from the Scrum Bullitt must change his sig to "I Love Ronan O'Gara"

now to get the word to kidey and the lads and we will surely win at the scrum!

If Ireland do complain it would be really pathetic. I am glad the ref penalized Ireland as much as he do. Other referees have let it go. Remember Ireland committing a penalty trty vs Argentina in November only for the referee to give Ireland the penalty. Argentina made no complaint at all. The game is over. Forget it and move on. France will similarly be better than Ireland in the scrums. Domingo and Mas are right up there with the best. Prepare for a really tough contest.

Ireland does have a good scrum but Italy are better and Castro is considered the premier #3 in the world. He binds correctly unlike plenty of others. What about Euan Murray vs France on Saturday. He was poor and conceeded a penalty try. Scotland vs Italy will be interesting.

Latest posts