• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland: 6 Nations plusses, minuses and where to go from here

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
I thought my veiw up in the heavens was great however the pitch makes it harder for plays to aim for touch. lansdowne aka aviva stadium looks brilliant shame its only 50000 probs will be hard to get tickets especialy as where im from

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 23 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pretty much sums it up. Great for the GAA games (Was at the Wexford Cork game a few years back, the one where Rory Jacob got that goal in the last minute, best athmosphere I've ever seen) but it's lacking for other sports. You feel somewhat detaced.[/b]

rory mccarthy that scored it twas to level the match aka my ex maths teacher utter hero!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lucky_number_7 @ Mar 23 2010, 10:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 23 2010, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty much sums it up. Great for the GAA games (Was at the Wexford Cork game a few years back, the one where Rory Jacob got that goal in the last minute, best athmosphere I've ever seen) but it's lacking for other sports. You feel somewhat detaced.[/b]

rory mccarthy that scored it twas to level the match aka my ex maths teacher utter hero!!!
[/b][/quote]

Ah so it was. I was in the Canal end to be fair. Still, cracker of a game. Shame about the replay.

indeed probably my favorite moment in sport up until last year .. nothing beats the yearly pilgrimages up to croker

Good thread

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Mar 22 2010, 09:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The biggest minus for me is the fact that Kidney contradicted himself massively. In a tight game at Twickenham he empties the bench and it comes up trumps, in the same scenario against the Scots he sticks with the status quo for the most part and it costs us massive, I'm convinced we would have won the game had we had a functioning lineout in the last 30 minutes. Just hope to God he isn't picking up Eddie's bad habits.[/b]
In 2009 it was the Scotland match when Kidney emptied the bench. What to make of that, I dunno. Contradiction can be good.

Last week the front row did for us in the last ten minutes - field position was lost twice, when ROG should have been firing up the boot. No real solution to that - how do you conquer Euan Murray when he chews up his own scrumcap?

Kidney is conservative. I forgive him. He WILL come up with a cute hoor win in the RWC.

Noooo sssssssshhhhhhhhh!! It was nasty croke parks fault. Now let's never speak of it again

agreed. the new lansdonw reminds me of Stade de france(not sure if thats right) just the way it comes out not like croker or the old lansdown witch kinda just go up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 23 2010, 06:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 23 2010, 05:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We lost our first and last matches at Croke Park[/b]
What did people make of Croker as a venue? I hated it. Fans were too far from the pitch and if you had a seat in the first 10 rows, you always had a terrible view. Of all the games held there, only two had a good atmosphere - England's visit in 2007 and the Heineken Cup semi final last year. It's a fine stadium for GAA but the pitch is too large for other sports.
[/b][/quote]

I was at the 2007 game against France, and I can tell you it was a freakin great atmosphere!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 22 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 23 2010, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 22 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because Kearney has had a few bad games, everyone wants him dropped. Remember he is only back from an injury. Whatever happened to Kearney being the 2nd Jesus camp?[/b]
Kearney was poor before injury too and if you remember he was dropped at start of season for Leinster and only got back in because Luke Fitz had injury.

Hope he does return to form though as Ireland could do with an on-form Kearney.
[/b][/quote]
Personally I would not have called his form poor, but nothing like the form he produced on the Lions Tour in South Africa.
[/b][/quote]

Maybe he just looks good against SA? He will probably look good again in the new venue as SA doesn't have a fullback as yet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Mar 24 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 22 2010, 05:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Mar 23 2010, 02:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 22 2010, 08:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just because Kearney has had a few bad games, everyone wants him dropped. Remember he is only back from an injury. Whatever happened to Kearney being the 2nd Jesus camp?[/b]
Kearney was poor before injury too and if you remember he was dropped at start of season for Leinster and only got back in because Luke Fitz had injury.

Hope he does return to form though as Ireland could do with an on-form Kearney.
[/b][/quote]
Personally I would not have called his form poor, but nothing like the form he produced on the Lions Tour in South Africa.
[/b][/quote]

Maybe he just looks good against SA? He will probably look good again in the new venue as SA doesn't have a fullback as yet.
[/b][/quote]

I think SA's kicking game plan played right into Kearney's strengths.

If Rob Kearney is to be dropped, who do people want to replace him? I can't understand the clamour for Geordan Murphy - he's 32 years old and his defence, as witnessed yet again for Johnny Beattie's try, is sub standard. Ulster only have Jamie Smith who's not a realistic option, Munster are picking an Aussie at 15 and Gavin Duffy won't provide any spark fom the back. Kearney is our best option with Murphy a capable backup. Hopefully next season somebody like Felix Jones can push on and provide competition for the shirt.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 25 2010, 12:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If Rob Kearney is to be dropped, who do people want to replace him? I can't understand the clamour for Geordan Murphy - he's 32 years old and his defence, as witnessed yet again for Johnny Beattie's try, is sub standard. Ulster only have Jamie Smith who's not a realistic option, Munster are picking an Aussie at 15 and Gavin Duffy won't provide any spark fom the back. Kearney is our best option with Murphy a capable backup. Hopefully next season somebody like Felix Jones can push on and provide competition for the shirt.[/b]
I want Murphy in for short-term ease pressure on Kearney and let him rediscover his game and then get him back in BUT not under immense pressure.
As said there is no other stand-out 15 because while Earls, Bowe and Fitz can play there they all have flaws too.

Sure Kearney will come back to form. I keep on claming that Duffy is a quality full back and he is showing and Conway will come into the setup come the Churchill cup.

Any news on Jones's injury.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Mar 25 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sure Kearney will come back to form. I keep on claming that Duffy is a quality full back and he is showing and Conway will come into the setup come the Churchill cup.

Any news on Jones's injury.[/b]
Ireland aren't playing in the Churchill Cup this year.

I think Jones is due back in time for next season.

Duffy is a decent provincial player who went through a good spell of form recently but he's not going to provide any game changing ability at international level in my view.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 25 2010, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Mar 25 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ireland aren't playing in the Churchill Cup this year.

I think Jones is due back in time for next season.

Duffy is a decent provincial player who went through a good spell of form recently but he's not going to provide any game changing ability at international level in my view.
[/b][/quote]

Pour quoi???

the under 20's have shown that they are ready to sweep in and take any senior jersey. unlike the the seniors they played very well against scotland and didnt let the defeat to france set them back. we have a great long term future

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Mar 25 2010, 08:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pour quoi???[/b]
I'm not certain. Perhaps it's because the international squad will miss the first 5 or so games in next year's Magners League and Declan Kidney doesn't want to **** off the provincial coaches by using their 2nd tier players (ie the likely Churchill Cup players) for an extra month during the summer.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
the under 20's have shown that they are ready to sweep in and take any senior jersey. unlike the the seniors they played very well against scotland and didnt let the defeat to france set them back. we have a great long term future[/b]
There are some excellent players in that squad. It wouldn't shock me if more than half of them went on to have long careers as pro players with top teams. It'll be a few years before they're ready - before Christmas the u20s lost to inexperienced Leinster and Ulster A teams. They did beat a Munster A/development team though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (seanAF @ Mar 25 2010, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Word is Felix's injury was a bit more serious than reported and recovery will be long and hard but hopefully he'll make start of next season or some part of it.

Lads in regards the Churchill cup would we not send over a youthful team, a mixture of 20's and development players who would only likely be on bench at most when players are missing for International duty. I know we'd possibly find it very tough but it'd be experience and a good learning curve.

Latest posts