• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Ireland: 6 Nations plusses, minuses and where to go from here

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

</span>Injuries to O'Brien, O'Driscoll, D'arcy.

The lack of a Plan B when the set pieces fell to **** against Scotland.

Not using the bench efficiently - why weren't Cullen, Cronin and Reddan trusted by the management?

John Hayes is finished as an international player.

Jonny Sexton's goal kicking.

Rob Kearney's form from fullback. While not as bad as some are making it out to be, he's not attacking from deep nor is he running good lines off the midfield.

We play boring rugby - kick everything until we reach the opponents 22 and then either truck it up through the forwards or rely on set plays to get over the line. There's no imagination.

Yeah I pretty much agree. I think people are being so hard on Kearney because up until this tournament we've never seen him play badly. We've seen him play mediocre rugby but he's always been solid and rarely would make a mistake or wrong decision and his hands were always so reliable. i think we'r e all just freaking out now because he's been dropping a ball here or there and he's been kicking when he shoulda run or running when he shoulda kicked. We were just hoping he was flawless.

For me Ireland should improve their forward pack, they appeared in difficulty on several matches of this tournament with scrum and Lineouts . I do not think they have problem with their backline ( appart that they have to think about replacment for O'gara or O'driscoll) Sexton is taking confidence even if he has made an average match yesterday.

Hmm, well where to start? The lineout was excellent, undoubtedly, as were the backs with their limited oppertunities. If Sexton can find his boots again (ala South Africa and Fiji) we'll be set wtih two options at 10 and it's great to have Murphy back.

For all our backrow is lauded, they won shag all ball this championship. Must do better. We need to find a new tighthead immediately and an additional centre/wing is also desireable.

Goals for the Summer:

1) - Buckley or Court must start all 3 of our games. No more Hayes.

2) - Competition must be maintained in the SecondRow. Cullen to start against either OZ or the All Blacks.

3) - Kepp Paddy Wallace in the setup. He's a good operator and should also get a game.

4) - Gametime for Cronin, McLaughlin, Boss, Trimble and maybe Ian Humphreys. We have a game against the Maori, lets use it to develop a bit more depth.

5) - Beat either NZ or Aus, or both.

We are playing the Barbarians and the Maori, plenty of room for trying new things.

We need options everywhere, No one player should play in every game.

1. Healy
2. Best
3. Buckley
4. Cullen
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. O'Brien
8. Heaslip

9. O'Leary
10. Sexton
11. Trimble
12. O'Driscoll
13. Bowe
14. Earls
15. Fitzgerald

I would love to see this team play against Australia, possible 2011 team in my oppinion.

Got caught out against Scotland, but i expect a strong world cup showing from Ireland. The talent at disposal is immense, and the team appears to click together so well that when they do it is destructive!

Sexton while being a mixed bag and hhaving an average at best 6Nations will benefit massively from experience and will be better for it so no worries there.

Buckley deserves a run of games just to see if he can perform at tighthead from start and he has similar strength (Court doesn't) to the Bull which is massive importance at lifting time etc. (If ye notice John Hayes lifts POC on his own at times)

Kearney is at a crossroads and well while some people have said we being harsh the reality is if Luke Fitzgearld had been fit Kearney would not even make Leinster 15. He was benched when everyone was fit and Cheika recognized his poor form.

Earls or Bowe it seems are destined to eventually step in to outside centre with BOD going to 12 but Paddy Wallace may be back in too. But Earls and Bowe can come out with heads held high after great tournaments.

Cullen has really increased his rep too and simply is being kept out by fact POC/DOC have been together so long and possibly POC and Cullen are to similar and don't compliment eachother effectively.

I sorry to Leinster fans for saying this but I still think Stringer should be on bench as he is our best passing 9 and Reddan is too similar to T.O'L who possibly got bit too much critisim after French game.

Geordan Murphy is a vital player to our set-up and Flannery is also a major part as we seen yesterday Rory Best has tendancy to throw some shockers.

Peter Stringer is **** and has been for years. How can you justify playing a player who doesn't start for his province.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 21 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Peter Stringer is **** and has been for years. How can you justify playing a player who doesn't start for his province.[/b]

Clue:

Stringer plays for Munster and should play according to munstermuffin

Very interesting to see how Stringer and Sexton would work.

I reckon Bowe is the future 13, so interesting again to see him with BOD at 12.

Officially now in the anti-Kearney camp (on my own?): apart from the girly panic for that last Scotland score, he's just too slow and provides nothing for the midfield to work off in attack.

Set piece is ok. Scrum held up well against England, which is about the best an Ireland side can hope for. I don't think we can ever do better there. Lineout is good, but you have to question Best's ability. Backrow had a poor day at the office, but Scotland have a couple of very sharp players there.

With Bowe being the best NH winger at the moment, why do you guys all want to make him play 13? Don't you think there is more to lose than win in such a move? Not implying he'd be bad, just that he sure as hell is an awesome winger!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 22 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
With Bowe being the best NH winger at the moment, why do you guys all want to make him play 13? Don't you think there is more to lose than win in such a move? Not implying he'd be bad, just that he sure as hell is an awesome winger![/b]
He's not very fast and not great in the air. I think his strength is in reading the defence and laying off passes. Would create alot of moves at 13, whereas now he's just finishing off moves.

You're just worried he'll run rings around Basta!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 22 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Mar 22 2010, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With Bowe being the best NH winger at the moment, why do you guys all want to make him play 13? Don't you think there is more to lose than win in such a move? Not implying he'd be bad, just that he sure as hell is an awesome winger![/b]
He's not very fast and not great in the air. I think his strength is in reading the defence and laying off passes. Would create alot of moves at 13, whereas now he's just finishing off moves.

You're just worried he'll run rings around Basta!
[/b][/quote]

:lol:

YouGotMe.gif

Shtove, I wouldn't say I'm in the anti-Kearney camp, he is a quality player, but I don't think he is Ireland's best option. Hopefully when Luke is back Leinster will leave Nacewa on the wing (toss up between Isa and Warwick for best fullback in Ireland IMO) and play Fitzgerald at 15. Really think he is our long term fullback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 21 2010, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Officially now in the anti-Kearney camp (on my own?): apart from the girly panic for that last Scotland score, he's just too slow and provides nothing for the midfield to work off in attack.[/b]

Ah Shtove, this is harsh! You've upset me now. I miss 2009 Kearney! I'm going to curl up in front of youtube and watch the Lions 2nd test with a big tub of Ben and Jerry's and maybe cry for a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 21 2010, 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Shtove, I wouldn't say I'm in the anti-Kearney camp, he is a quality player, but I don't think he is Ireland's best option. Hopefully when Luke is back Leinster will leave Nacewa on the wing (toss up between Isa and Warwick for best fullback in Ireland IMO) and play Fitzgerald at 15. Really think he is our long term fullback.[/b]

Has Luke played 15 since school though? I've never seen him there for Leinster. His defence is 2nd to no back in Europe so that's handy but does he have the footballing skills or the decision making abilities of a good international fullback? I do think he's wasted on the wing and all of the best lines he's made at international level so far have gone unnoticed by the man in posession. I think he'd do well in the super 14.

I'm sure he has played the odd time at fullback, and I seem to remember him saying it was still his preferred position at some stage last season.

Luke at fullback would add a new dimension to our play IMO, a pacy player who knows when to hit the line and picks superb lines. Also guaranteed never to miss a tackle, as Kearney and Geordan have been known to do (Kearney in fairness a lot less often).

Problem is Leinster will likely pick Nacewa at 15 when Luke is back, and I wouldn't blame them, but IMO it would be in Ireland's best interest to pick Luke there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Mar 21 2010, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Peter Stringer is **** and has been for years. How can you justify playing a player who doesn't start for his province.[/b]
Stringer doesn't start for Munster as he is behind Ireland's #1 scrum half :p

And noone can disagree his pass is a mile better than any other 9 we have.
As shtove said can you imagine a Stringer pass for Sexton it's a recipe to unleash backs and be a major weapon so IF Stringer moves and is playing regularly then yes it a serious option.

As for Luke at 15 I personally see him as our future 12 because (as already stated) he has the best defense of oor backs and also has a great rugby brain. I think he'd struggle at 15 because like Earls he hasn't got the best kicking game but that can be fixed.

But I also joining anti-Kearney camp (reluctantly) because on current form he is far from International class. He's been poor at club level never mind International.
And while yes it was always going to be difficult to live to performances of last year, at times he look's like a player who is playing in a completely new to position and clueless what to do.

Also, I wouldn't write D'Arcy off yet as I feel we'll get one last burst out of him.

Just because Kearney has had a few bad games, everyone wants him dropped. Remember he is only back from an injury. Whatever happened to Kearney being the 2nd Jesus camp?