TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_50654563_hensonwales_get.jpg

Gavin Henson has made the first step on his return to the Wales team as the Saracens centre linked up with the squad for pre-Six Nations testing.

The 28-year-old had his first official involvement with Wales for almost two years with a conditioning assessment at their Vale of Glamorgan base on Monday.

Henson was one of more than 40 possible Wales call-ups that was asked by coach Warren Gatland to participate.

Wales' Six Nations squad is expected to be announced on Sunday, 16 January.

Welsh rugby's new head strength and conditioning coach Adam Beard oversaw the rigorous testing regime that includes Wales' regular squad members and players that could earn a Wales call.

Sale Sharks scrum-half Dwayne Peel and London Wasps number eight Andy Powell joined Henson and Wales regulars for testing that included speed drills, strength testing, sprints and conditioning trial that include monitoring of body fat percentage.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9336331.stm

Does this mean he is the saviour :)

Wales have Roberts at 12 when fit who in my opinion is a much more effective and talented player.
Henson isn't good enough for a Welsh 15 spot if they're all fit.

More promising news is that Dwayne Peel was selected as one of the 40 possibilities!

Peel is needed as he can offer something different to Phillips. Wales seem to be getting a very good squad together

If Henson is really one the 40 best Welsh qualified players, Rugby in the Valleys must be uber-shite right now.

At the moment he does not merit inclusion but then again expect the media and the background boys to be pulling for Henson's inclusion. As it stands he is not good enough for Saracens let alone Wales!

Henson is over-rated, over-hyped and well if you can make a Welsh squad with a total of what 80mins or so then that a joke like what about the guys who actually stuck around with WRU and have been available all the time. Awful kick in the Goonies.

70mins of rugby in 21 months!
What a joke!

Though this obviously doesn't mean he'd def in the squad for the 6N, he probably will be

All depends who Henson manages to nosh off in the back room staff to get into the Welsh squad as it stands!

Be sure that Gatland is already bending over and presenting his puckered tooshe for the Orange seaquined one at the soonest given chance.

He'd be better served trying to get in at fullback than centre or fly half these days. What with the decline of Byrne and the emergence of Roberts as a top class operator since 08' it would be his best bet at getting in the first XV. I have my doubts when people say he's not good enough to play for Wales again. Sure, not at the moment, but he was a very good footballer and would be a welcome addition to the squad of any six nations team, save perhaps the French. That is, if he can rediscover some of his old form.

Problem with Henson is that noone especially wanted him when he left Ospreys, so he has to do what Sarries want from him as, atm, he's just an unneeded expense. He can't turn around and say "I want to play FB for Wales, so play me there" as that'd involve dropping goode,
Same with FH and Inside Centre, as it'd mean dropping Farrell and Barritt, respectively
He's just there to fill in for injuries and the such, now that Farrell is on good form and he isn't needed as their new 10

He should never have left the Ospreys, but there we are.

Let's not start a list of what he shouldn't have done, we could be here a while.

Well today seems like a good day to start that list!

Lets not get carried away here saying he shouldn't be in the squad and if someone can play for 80 minutes then get into the Welsh squad then its a joke etc etc. I totally agree he shouldn't just walk into the squad as he was average in his Sarries debut against Wasps and apparently put in an error-strewn and disappointing performance against Sale Sharks. I just think people are getting carried away with the criticism saying how he shouldn't be in the squad when all that has happened is he has been called in for fitness tests and assessments, its not to say he is going to be picked, this is a small indication that he might be and that he is in Gatland's thoughts, but its not to say that he will be picked, personally I don't think he should get a look in, unless the likes of Hook, Roberts (god forbid), Shanklin, Jon Davies, Bishop get injured which is unlikely.

Gatland's having a look at him. He really has to have a look at him. He may look at him and say "He's crap and still wears too much fake tan" or he may like it.

I hear that Rhys Priestland, Josh Turnbull, Morgan Stoddart and Ken Owens have been called up from the Scarlets, while the Ospreys have lost the 'regulars' and then Richard Fussell and Justin Tipuric. Wayne Evans and Jason Tovey are in too, apparently.

Latest posts