• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Game of Thrones Discussion [SPOILERS]

I actually thought that was a fair enough descent into madness for Daenarys. She has never been able to control her emotions and has always been a bit mental, this is just the biggest example. Ever since she sold Drogon and then got him to kill your man I always felt she'd be the ultimate villain. (she's also a Targaeryan) She never cared about anything but the throne and feigned having a lot of other values and objectives to get there, smarter and more charismatic but no different to her brother once she got a claim to the throne.

Last edited:
What if Bran wargs into drogon, eats Dany and then let Jon climb on top of him to show the unsullied and the dothraki that he's the boss now?

Sansa and Tyrion become lord and lady of winterfell, Arya becomes the leader of the Kings Guard, and all is well again.

I did like the final exchange of brotherly love between Jamie and Tyrion. Very touching and believable. Jamie was the only one who really loved him and didn't treat like a monster.

Why would he do that?
With cersei gone Tyrion is his only hope of wealth.

Also I hate Tyrions character now, really hope he cops it next week.

You could say that about all the formerly smart characters.
Ruined.

Littlefinger
Varys
Prime examples both meant to be extremely dangerous because of how cunning they are, both get finished becuase of stupid mistakes they would never really make.

Like why would Varys be so damn obvious about treason and so open about it.

Quite interesting watching all the actors interviews on season 8.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...ene-conleth-hill-character-plot-a8910981.html

"That's been my feeling the last couple seasons, that my character became more peripheral, that they concentrated on others more. That's fine. It's the nature of a multi-character show."

He continued: "It was kind of frustrating. As a whole it's been overwhelmingly positive and brilliant but I suppose the last couple seasons weren't my favourite. It just felt like after season six, I kind of dropped off the edge."

Sums up a lot of the things that are wrong with the last few seasons.

Daenaerys going mad is a great plot point but terribly executed, like most of it since they moved on from the books. Quality has gone miles downhill.

Ultmately this is obviously a poor attempt to shoehorn in the end to the books without taking the required steps to get there. Going mad and burning an entire city wouldn't be massively out of character for book Dany, by the end of the fifth one I she really isn't far off that. I think she comes across as much more of a hero in the show which is the main problem, in the books I never actually thought she came across as someone who'd make a good ruler. And she's a Targaryen, if anyone was actually expecting her to be the ultimate hero they were hopelessly fooled by the cult around her character (which is really the point, present her as some kind of messianic leader who's going to right wrongs, protect the innocent etc but when it comes down to it she's just like everyone else). It's a brilliant twist (if it's even that, heavily foreshadowed looking back, especially in the books) and sums up the entire point of the series, there aren't any good/bad guys and the 'honorable' people like Ned/Robb die early on. The whole point is to have us cheering her on for all the books/show and then show us that we're wrong and she's just as bad/worse as everyone else when it comes down to it. It's a brilliant ending, but the show couldn't pull it off without having every plot beat handed to them without Martin and when that was taken away it was shown that they couldn't keep it going. Instead we got this rushed, half-baked descent into madness that wasn't at all convincing.

Honestly my biggest gripe, even above all of that, is that all the smart characters have ended up being idiots, on the basis of this season Varys and Tyrion come across as idiots. The writing since Season 5 has just been really, really poor.

As someone who loves the books (except for A Feast for Crows which is s***) it ****** me off to see a great story ruined so spectacularly. It seems fairly clear that GRRM isn't a fan of where they went with it though, so hopefully that spurs him on to finishing the books, which I had half accepted I won't see (at least not written by him).

Anyway binge-watching this season was meant to be my coping mechanism for losing to Saracens and then they go and pull this. Can't catch a break right now.

just read when asked if we had seen the last of the White Walkers D&D said "we're not going to answer that"....

What if Bran wargs into drogon, eats Dany and then let Jon climb on top of him to show the unsullied and the dothraki that he's the boss now?

Sansa and Tyrion become lord and lady of winterfell, Arya becomes the leader of the Kings Guard, and all is well again.

It's probably now the only way they are going to kill Drogon now that the Scorpions are all destroyed. There must have been some purpose for Bran living this long.

just read when asked if we had seen the last of the White Walkers D&D said "we're not going to answer that"....

Probably referring to the separate prequel series they are planning to make.

Personally think Sansa's been playing Jon and Dany, best way to get Jon on side and turn him against Dany, was to sit back and let Dany do what she did to KL killing thousands of innocent's, I also wouldn't be surprised if Jon was still smitten with Dany and still sided with her, they are the same family after all….

And Sansa is no fan of KL

Anyone thing it's all going to end with bran waking up at the bottom of the tower?

Now that the leaks are confirmed as correct I promise you all it doesn't get any better in the finale, at least in my opinion. Don't regret reading them at all honestly. Just watched the episode today. Visually great, narratively abject. D&D stealing a living this season.

Now that the leaks are confirmed as correct I promise you all it doesn't get any better in the finale, at least in my opinion. Don't regret reading them at all honestly. Just watched the episode today. Visually great, narratively abject. D&D stealing a living this season.

Yeah I delved into the leaks too... not regretting reading them at all.

Can we not really talk about the leaks? I appreciate some don't mind but I have been trying damn hard to actively avoid them.

Yeah I'm of course not going to say a single detail of what's in the leaks. I'm not a total asshole.

I really have no idea how HBO hope to launch a bunch of prequels after this. I would actually really look forward to them provided D&D have no part in them (which they won't), but I'm not that sure most people will care honestly. It worked for Better Call Saul, but that show was excellent start to finish. A prequel on the Long Night could definitely be awesome, although major plot points about WWs that should be in the main plot being pushed into prequel serie is seriously lazy.

Latest posts