• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Ireland

well there's plenty to take in, wasn't sure where to start until I saw that last post hoping that Duffy would start at full back against England, assuming Kearney is injured, well if Kidney does that I'll be calling for his head. Duffy isn't even good enough to play at Heineken Cup level let alone an international match.

Thoughts on the match, Barnes you're an utter f***wit, he saw the Flannery incident and deemed that it was nothing, needed the intervention of the touch judge to reverse the penalty. Very lucky not to get a red card, should get 6 to 8 weeks though. Thankfully we have an adequate replacement in Best.

The scrum wasn't as bad as I'd feared, lineout started brilliantly, handling was woeful, defensively we were very naive. O'Driscoll f***ed up on the first try, tried to drive the player back when he should have just made the hit, instead momentum was lost and the French gained ground and Servat then finished off. Anyone critcising Healy needs to realise we would have conceded a try so it had to be done.

O'Connell was awful, even worse than his no show in 07 at Croker. Handling was abysmal and his ball carrying was far too laboured.

Some positives though, backrow were fine and D'Arcy and Earls were the only backs who offered any threat. O'Leary though really needs a massive kick up the arse, too many Ellis like performances, nowhere near good enough at this level.

France were superb though, very clinical and their half backs just had a dream game, not surprising considering what they did in Dunedin.

My only worry for them now though is that they'll choke once again against England.

well there's plenty to take in, wasn't sure where to start until I saw that last post hoping that Duffy would start at full back against England, assuming Kearney is injured, well if Kidney does that I'll be calling for his head. Duffy isn't even good enough to play at Heineken Cup level let alone an international match.

look Kearney is injured, Earls and Bowe are not good at fullback and Hurley as been playing on the wing for Munster this year. But Duffy is the only proper full back left in Kidney's 30 man squad that's why he will pick him. I believe he's underrated because he's good in the air and he's a good kicker.I know that he's not as good than Kearney but he will be grand for a few games. It would be unfair not to pick him.

Let me know if I forgot someone

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 15 2010, 07:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm watching a re-run of the game on Setanta with Fred Cogley commentating. How does he get away with it?! Fred thought it was Brian O'Driscoll who chipped over the French defense after 15 minutes and not Gordon D'arcy. A few seconds ago he informed us that Stephen Ferris had to go off injured to be replaced by Sean O'Brien - Ferris went off to bring another prop on due to Cian Healy's sin-binning and Tom Court looks nothing like Sean O'Brien!

I think Cogley's son Niall is the head of Setanta programming. It explains a lot........old Fred was a poor commentator 20 years ago. Now he's a poor senile commentator.[/b]
:lol: Ced Frogley is still around? The video of the 1985 Triple Crown (I think) has him screaming, "MacRingland!" when we scored a great try against Wales. Two players converted into one biological entity through the advanced scientific processes in his brain. In this photo, he's getting ready for his next gig - The Wolfhounds v British Army Female Cadets. Results should be interesting.

fly_goldblum.jpg

After reading Stephen Jones' ratings in Irish Sunday Times... He gave Hayes 2/10!!! Was he that bad??? The lineouts were good and the scrums were alright and nobody expected him to be good in the loose... or then again why am I getting worked up about Stephen Jones' article... or should I???

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 14 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EoinZero @ Feb 14 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 14 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clinical from the French, too much expectancy from the Irish to make O'Driscoll do it all. Earls was crap. Flannary keeps up his reputation as a mindless thug. O'Connell is nothing. French half backs were ruthless. Harinoriduay gets better every time he plays. Nobody looks capable of stopping the French (except, knowing them, the Italians!) Ireland methinks are about to enter freefall.[/b]
I agree with the Flannary comment, pretty silly thing to do. As for nearly everything els, it really made me ELOWEL. O'Connell is nothing...? Really? Captained the Irish and British Lions, captained Munster to their 07/08 HCup win, won the GS with Ireland last year, 30 years old at the moment and still going... Earls had a bad game, he wasn't "crap" imo, solid player when he gets going. Making BOD do it all? I really don't think so mate, more like making ROG do it all, BOD hardly saw the ball. As for Ireland entering a free-fall, thats honestly a very, er, stupid opinion. No offence of-course. But Ireland have been unbeaten over a whole year and a half, Irish clubs have dominated European Rugby for the last few years or so, I honestly don't see how losing one match, to a world class side, is going to make Ireland enter a free-fall you absolute TWAT.* *You're not a twat, I just added that because it sounded funny at the time. [/b][/quote] Bullitt hates the Irish. Your words won't sway him. Yesterday's match was like his heroin. [/b][/quote]

I don't hate the Irish at all (considering I'm half Irish that's a really dumb statement).

I do however dislike the constant harping on by a number of irish members as though they've actually beaten a good team in a convincing mannor in the past 3 years. Fact is they bumbled their way through the past 12 months, scraping victorys over clueless, inept and inexperienced d teams and pretending that they're better then the All Blacks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 15 2010, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 14 2010, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EoinZero @ Feb 14 2010, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 14 2010, 11:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Clinical from the French, too much expectancy from the Irish to make O'Driscoll do it all. Earls was crap. Flannary keeps up his reputation as a mindless thug. O'Connell is nothing. French half backs were ruthless. Harinoriduay gets better every time he plays. Nobody looks capable of stopping the French (except, knowing them, the Italians!) Ireland methinks are about to enter freefall.[/b]
I agree with the Flannary comment, pretty silly thing to do. As for nearly everything els, it really made me ELOWEL. O'Connell is nothing...? Really? Captained the Irish and British Lions, captained Munster to their 07/08 HCup win, won the GS with Ireland last year, 30 years old at the moment and still going... Earls had a bad game, he wasn't "crap" imo, solid player when he gets going. Making BOD do it all? I really don't think so mate, more like making ROG do it all, BOD hardly saw the ball. As for Ireland entering a free-fall, thats honestly a very, er, stupid opinion. No offence of-course. But Ireland have been unbeaten over a whole year and a half, Irish clubs have dominated European Rugby for the last few years or so, I honestly don't see how losing one match, to a world class side, is going to make Ireland enter a free-fall you absolute TWAT.* *You're not a twat, I just added that because it sounded funny at the time. [/b][/quote] Bullitt hates the Irish. Your words won't sway him. Yesterday's match was like his heroin. [/b][/quote]

I don't hate the Irish at all (considering I'm half Irish that's a really dumb statement).

I do however dislike the constant harping on by a number of irish members as though they've actually beaten a good team in a convincing mannor in the past 3 years. Fact is they bumbled their way through the past 12 months, scraping victorys over clueless, inept and inexperienced d teams and pretending that they're better then the All Blacks.
[/b][/quote]
:rolleyes: The harp is our national instrument. What do you expect?

BOD Dethroned by Bastareaud

Very stupid headline. Bastareaud still has a hell of a lot to prove to deserve such a headline. And even if he becomes awesome, he'll never be that awesome.

I love how journalists always seek the sensational and lose their sense of rationality when it comes to superstars like BOD. They enjoy nothing more than killing them when they fail and blowing them when they succeed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 14 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I do however dislike the constant harping on by a number of irish members as though they've actually beaten a good team in a convincing mannor in the past 3 years. Fact is they bumbled their way through the past 12 months, scraping victorys over clueless, inept and inexperienced d teams and pretending that they're better then the All Blacks.[/b]

Yes they did bumble to quite a few victories but i really would not call south africa the bloody world champions inept and inexpirienced...

and i dont think there is an irishman on the planet who believes they are better than the all blacks considering we have never beaten them

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 15 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Very stupid headline. Bastareaud still has a hell of a lot to prove to deserve such a headline. And even if he becomes awesome, he'll never be that awesome.

I love how journalists always seek the sensational and lose their sense of rationality when it comes to superstars like BOD. They enjoy nothing more than killing them when they fail and blowing them when they succeed[/b]
Hehe. You're being humble. Bastareaud (finally got the spelling right) is the only 13 to get the better of BOD, apart from Umaga - and we know how that happened so it doesn't count!

France can finally lay down the law with a player of that quality. Mind you, he has to do it in Croker next year and Twickenham, and then ... Eden Park 23/10/11.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 15 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 15 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I love how journalists always seek the sensational and lose their sense of rationality when it comes to superstars like BOD. They enjoy nothing more than killing them when they fail and blowing them when they succeed[/b]
Hehe. You're being humble. Bastareaud (finally got the spelling right) is the only 13 to get the better of BOD, apart from Umaga - and we know how that happened so it doesn't count!

France can finally lay down the law with a player of that quality. Mind you, he has to do it in Croker next year and Twickenham, and then ... Eden Park 23/10/11.
[/b][/quote]
Ah yeah you're probably being a bit humble there elgringo. He really showed bod up like ive never seen any opposite number show him up before. Bastareaud is a quality 13 and deserves all the praise he gets for his performance. Biggest threat for his career: that his dysfunctional and slightly disturbing personal dilemmas get in the way of his rugby career.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Feb 14 2010, 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 14 2010, 09:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you need to beef up your pack a bit, find better scrummagers and know how to use your bench more efficiently. And you need to realize that such an impressive record had to come to an end but it does not mean much apart from the fact that on THAT day we were better prepared.[/b]
Sums things up perfectly. On the day, no matter how well Ireland could have played, France still would have been the better team.

What did we learn? I don't think the scrum was that bad but it could have been better. Flannery coming out of that team in favour of Best will help - hopefully the citing commissioner will take the decision out of Declan Kidney's hands. Perhaps it's time to give Tom Court a shot at tighthead. He's not helped by being played at loosehead (where he's playing extremely well I might add) but John Hayes isn't getting the job done. Give Court a chance to sink or swim in the Scotland and Wales games.

Scrumhalf is an issue. Tomas O'Leary is a great defender and can break pretty well. Against that he's ponderous at the breakdown, average passer (if I'm being kind) and a diobolical box kicker where he'll get a lot of length on his kicks but won't give chasers a chance. Eoin Reddan isn't rated by Eddie O'Sullivan but if Johnny Sexton gets a shot at 10 (as he should) keeping the Leinster halfback partnership together is possibly the right call. I'd give O'Leary another chance though.

Stick a fork in Ronan O'Gara, he's done. How often o you hear Irish commentators say "we all know ROG isn't a great tackler" as though it's a minor part of the game? It's a f'n huge weakness and is often used as a stick to beat Ian Humphreys. If you're 10 can't tackle, can't run with the ball and is getting increasingly erratic with the boot, he shouldn't be in the team no matter how many caps he's won in the past. I understand the reason behind picking O'Gara against France (Sexton wasn't fully match fit) but it should be his last outing in a big game.

Next time out, I'd like to see this team:
15. Kearney
14. Bowe
13. O'Driscoll
12. D'arcy
11. Trimble (Earls didn't do enough)
10. Sexton
9. O'Leary
1. Healy
2. Best
3. Hayes (give him a chance with a better scrummaging hooker)
4. Cullen (Ireland's best player in the tournament thus far)
5. O'Connell
6. Ferris
7. Wallace (Hook is an idiot if he thinks Wally should be dropped)
8. Heaslip
Subs: Cronin (assuming Flannery is suspended), Court, Ryan, O'Brien, Reddan, Wallace (O'Gara won't offer an impact any more), Earls
[/b][/quote]
Agree with your team Snoop except would keep Earls as he is the beter player and we seem to forget it was his 1st 6Nations start.
Also Trimble (in team going forward vs Italy) was bad against Italy compared with Earls (in team going back vs France)

Also I wouldn't be surprised if DOC got back in but agree it'd be very harsh as Cullen is playing excellent.

And Hook is a clown all agreed :)
Wil be interesting to see who gets 15 shirt if Kearney is out (which may benefit him as form is poor and break might be helpful to him)
Have a feeling Earls or Bowe might with Trimble getting in. Otherwise maybe Duffy but doubt Geordan Murphy will be considered.

Duffy is cack. Picking him would be a complete jok. If we learned anything from the EOS era it is that that man is not up to international standard. Geordan Murphy would be preferable but I wouldn't mind seeing Tommy being shunted back there and bringing Shaggy in on the wing.

O'Gara is the main reason why the current Irish team is the grand slam holder but he is also the main reson why this current Irish team cannot get past the rwc quarter final.

He's a wonderful orchestrator of the game but his flaws become too apparent whenever playing againt the top southern team, or in this case a French team at the level of a top southern team.

The big question is whether the current Irish team wants to remain in the comfort zone, taking no risk and ensuring a top two finish in the 6N by playing O'Gara, or if they want to breed a flyhalf who can take them further.

Whether Saxton can take the Irish team to another level remains to be seen, but you won't know until you give it a try, giving a try means a continous selection over a full year and not just the odd game here and there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 15 2010, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 15 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 15 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Ah yeah you're probably being a bit humble there elgringo. He really showed bod up like ive never seen any opposite number show him up before. Bastareaud is a quality 13 and deserves all the praise he gets for his performance. Biggest threat for his career: that his dysfunctional and slightly disturbing personal dilemmas get in the way of his rugby career.
[/b][/quote]
Oh for god sakes...Bastareaud has been of high quality now for what? 2 international games? He had a good game, BOD had a bad game. One thing I have to say this forums is terrible at. I've seen topics like "Elsom the most influential player in the world" due to his one very good season at Leinster, or "Brussow the new McCaw" or "Morne Steyn greatest fly half in the world", and yet while they remain good, they certainly get over hyped. Give Bastareaud 3 more years of making an impact before we rate him that highly. Right now I'd put him behind O'Driscol, Conrad Smith and Fourie. I think he's not even as good as Ma'a Nonu when he moves into centre. I could be wrong, and he may be gods gift to rugby, but let him prove it first.

P.S Loved the Umaga comment lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Feb 16 2010, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
O'Gara is the main reason why the current Irish team is the grand slam holder[/b]

I'd disagree with that mate. Aside from his last minuted drop kick, Rog did prettymuch everything he could to balls up last season (look at the England game if you need any proof). Drico pretty much won it on his own to honest, with notable assistance fromthe likes of Tommy Bowe and Jamie Heaslip.

I'd disagree with that mate. Aside from his last minuted drop kick, Rog did prettymuch everything he could to balls up last season (look at the England game if you need any proof). Drico pretty much won it on his own to honest, with notable assistance fromthe likes of Tommy Bowe and Jamie Heaslip.
[/quote]

I agree last year ROG had a bad season. his place kicking was bad, and he had a bad lions tour. he has only started to improve when Sexton challenged him for number 10

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Feb 16 2010, 08:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 15 2010, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 15 2010, 12:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
[/b][/quote]
Oh for god sakes...Bastareaud has been of high quality now for what? 2 international games? He had a good game, BOD had a bad game. One thing I have to say this forums is terrible at. I've seen topics like "Elsom the most influential player in the world" due to his one very good season at Leinster, or "Brussow the new McCaw" or "Morne Steyn greatest fly half in the world", and yet while they remain good, they certainly get over hyped. Give Bastareaud 3 more years of making an impact before we rate him that highly. Right now I'd put him behind O'Driscol, Conrad Smith and Fourie. I think he's not even as good as Ma'a Nonu when he moves into centre. I could be wrong, and he may be gods gift to rugby, but let him prove it first.

P.S Loved the Umaga comment lol.
[/b][/quote]

Ah c'mon. We never called him the new O'Driscoll. It'd take 3 or 4 years of consistent awesomeness to earn that ***le. He just deserves all the praise he gets for showing BOD up in that match.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Codorniou @ Feb 16 2010, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
O'Gara is the main reason why the current Irish team is the grand slam holder but he is also the main reson why this current Irish team cannot get past the rwc quarter final.

He's a wonderful orchestrator of the game but his flaws become too apparent whenever playing againt the top southern team, or in this case a French team at the level of a top southern team.

The big question is whether the current Irish team wants to remain in the comfort zone, taking no risk and ensuring a top two finish in the 6N by playing O'Gara, or if they want to breed a flyhalf who can take them further.

Whether Saxton can take the Irish team to another level remains to be seen, but you won't know until you give it a try, giving a try means a continous selection over a full year and not just the odd game here and there.[/b]

Our number 7 has to always be prepared to cover the 10 channel in case there's a scenario where O'Gara might have to defend. Am I the only 1 who thinks this is ridiculous? I don't care how good his kicking is on his good day, he's making the pack vulnerable by being there because Wallace is never available. I don't rate O'Gara at all anymore.

Latest posts