• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

France v Ireland

A

An Tarbh

Last season's game between these sides was an absolute belter and while it didn't have the drama of the occasion in Cardiff it more than matched the quality of play. More of the same on Saturday would be greatly appreciated.

Ireland's record in Paris is pitiful though, 2 wins in 40 years is nothing to write home about and 10 years since the last win suggests Ireland are due. They could/should??? have won the game 2 years ago but for Geordan Murphy's brainfart at the death, decision making needs to be spot in if they're to come away with the win.

France for their part won't be too impressed with their opening performance, as will Ireland, so with both teams looking to put things right we could be in for something special.

Ireland have 3 injury worries with O'Connell, O'Gara and Trimble all coming off on Saturday. The head injury to O'Connell would be the most worrying especially if they deem he's concussed. Ferris, O'Callaghan and Sexton are all back in the extended squad but whether they'll feature or not remains to be seen. Kidney will name the side tomorrow at lunchtime.

People over here seem to be writing off France far too easily, it's all well and good saying that they look vulnerable at half back, but this is the same partnership that won the first test in New Zealand during the Summer. Add to that the form of Bastareaud in the centre and you can see them having a more than successful afternoon. The scrum was dominant on Sunday, fair enough no Murray but even still, and against Ireland they'll probably be even more dominant. The backrow is equally impressive and if they can provide the ball for the backs, Ireland's defence will be in for a torrid time.

Julien Malzieu looks set come into the 23 man squad after Rougerie picked up a shoulder injury in the opening minutes at Murrayfield.

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,1...5925836,00.html

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Six Nations Grand Slam champions Ireland have injury doubts over veteran fly-half Ronan O'Gara and wing Andrew Trimble ahead of Saturday's potential championship decider against France in Paris.

O'Gara - who scored 16 of Ireland's points in their opening 29-11 victory over Italy on Saturday - had to go off in the second-half with a leg injury whilst Trimble suffered a thigh injury.

According to the Irish medical staff Trimble's injury is giving cause for concern while O'Gara will be monitored over the next 24 hours.

British and Irish Lions captain Paul O'Connell, who also had to go off in the second-half, should be fit to resume training during the week.

A trio of crucial players who were unable to play against the Italians flanker Stephen Ferris, fly-half Jonathan Sexton - who would have started instead of O'Gara - and O'Connell's long-time Munster and Ireland partner in the second row Donncha O'Callaghan should be available for selection.

Coach Declan Kidney is due to announce his starting line-up on Tuesday.[/b]

Being as there literally isn't a 3rd choice option (unless Barry Everett gets a surprise call up), what are the real odd of Sexton being fit?

A lot will depend on our packs. Many people write off our halfbacks because they are inexperienced and will have difficulties under pressure. But if our forwards are dominant, I do believe that Trinh Duc is one of the best attacking flyhalves. He is particularly good when playing with strong centres like Jauzion and Bastareaud because his unpredictable running often allows gaps to be created. His defense one man to man is brilliant too so I don't worry about him too much.

Regardless of that Ireland are favorites on this one IMO, France showed some very worrying weaknesses in defense. The likes of D'Arcy, BOD, Bowe or Kearney could really make the most of it and score some easy tries.

My heart says France by 3, and my head just shut up your opinion is not requested <_<

Originally posted by RTÉ Sport
Jonathan Sexton and Donncha O'Callaghan are in line to be available for the pivotal RBS 6 Nations clash with France on Saturday but doubts remain about Stephen Ferris.

Sexton was not considered for Saturday's 29-11 victory over Italy early last week after picking up a dead leg but the prognosis on the Leinster out-half is good.

However, with Ronan O'Gara giving a masterclass in out-half play against the Italians, Sexton could be hard pressed to regain the starting spot he took for the 15-10 win against South Africa in November.

Speaking before training today, Ireland team manager Paul McNaughton told RTÉ Sport's Michael Corcoran: 'Jonny Sexton has recovered very well and the latest word is that we will have him fully training today and we are at this stage quite optimistic that he is available for selection in Paris.'

The Ireland management team reviewed the injury situation on Sunday night and McNaughton added that most of the players who left the field against Italy - including Ronan O'Gara, Paul O'Connell and Tomás O'Leary - were due to take part in today's session.

But Ulster and Ireland winger Andrew Trimble has a strained hamstring and is a concern ahead of Ireland's departure for France on Thursday.

McNaughton said: 'We will know more about that on Tuesday but we still think he could make it onto the availability list.'

Second row O'Callaghan, who was ruled out of the Ireland team to play Italy after being named in the starting XV, could be available but with Leo Cullen impressing in his place against the Azzuri a return to the starting line-up is not guaranteed.

Ferris injured his knee playing for Ulster in their final Heineken Cup match over two weeks ago and his ability to train has been limited since.

Commenting on the injury situaton, McNaughton said: 'The guys we are concerned about are Stephen Ferris and Donncha (O'Callaghan) and again we will know more over the next couple of days on that and we're not ruling them out yet.

Asked if O'Callaghan had a better chance of getting into the selection mix, McNaughton said: 'Donncha fully trained in the last couple of days and he probably is ahead of Stephen but these things change and there can be reactions.

He added: 'We'll know more about Stephen in the next couple of days because Stephen hasn't done a lot (of training) over the last 10 days.'

On Sunday, eleven players, including Ferris and O'Callaghan, were added to the Ireland squad that faced Italy.

The team for the match against France will be selected tomorrow afternoon.

Well if RTÉ are reporting that it's likely that Ferris will be the only one to start against the French, they've a dreadful recent record of saying players will be fit and then end up not being so. Doesn't say much for their sources within the camp.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 8 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A lot will depend on our packs. Many people write off our halfbacks because they are inexperienced and will have difficulties under pressure.[/b]
Trinh Duc is 23 and Parra is 21, people tend to forget that this is a very young pairing. My worry is that they might come short for 2011 but would be ready for 2015.

However, if we want then to be ready for rwc2011, they really must play all remaining available international games, there is simply no other alternative.

That is Lievremont's choice, albeit we may not agree with his choice, he is perfectly right to follow this logic to the end, we need a settled half back pairing now, after it will be too late.

France have gone with the same squad but there's doubts over Rougerie, Fall and Ducalcon. A decision on their participation will be taken later in the week.

Forwards: Thomas Domingo (Clermont), Luc Ducalcon (Castres), Sylvain Marconnet (Stade Français), Nicolas Mas (Perpignan), Williams Servat (Stade Toulousain), Dimitri Szarzewski (Stade Français), Pascal Papé (Stade Français), Lionel Nallet (Racing-Métro), Julien Pierre (Clermont), Julien Bonnaire (Clermont), Thierry Dusautoir (Stade Toulousain), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier)

Backs: Morgan Parra (Clermont), François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), Frédéric Michalak (Stade Toulousain), Mathieu Bastareaud (Stade Français), Yannick Jauzion (Stade Toulousain), David Marty (Perpignan), Vincent Clerc (Stade Toulousain), Aurélien Rougerie (Clermont), Benjamin Fall (Bayonne), Clément Poitrenaud (Stade Toulousain)

Should be a great match, but France should win this. Irelend weren't all that great aginst Italy, whilst the French were very good at the basics against Scotland (no idea how they didn't score more points). Ireland are going to get destroyed scrum time, if Scotland are anything to go by, and that's enough to loose a test match of rugby.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Six Nations Grand Slam champions Ireland have injury doubts over veteran fly-half Ronan O'Gara and wing Andrew Trimble ahead of Saturday's potential championship decider against France in Paris.

O'Gara - who scored 16 of Ireland's points in their opening 29-11 victory over Italy on Saturday - had to go off in the second-half with a leg injury whilst Trimble suffered a thigh injury.

According to the Irish medical staff Trimble's injury is giving cause for concern while O'Gara will be monitored over the next 24 hours.

British and Irish Lions captain Paul O'Connell, who also had to go off in the second-half, should be fit to resume training during the week.

A trio of crucial players who were unable to play against the Italians flanker Stephen Ferris, fly-half Jonathan Sexton - who would have started instead of O'Gara - and O'Connell's long-time Munster and Ireland partner in the second row Donncha O'Callaghan should be available for selection.

Being as there literally isn't a 3rd choice option (unless Barry Everett gets a surprise call up), what are the real odd of Sexton being fit?
[/b][/quote]

Eh? Ian Humphreys is playing brilliantly up at Ulster. Ian Keatley be a bit raw yet but he'll be an option in a season or tow. Shag off with average Northampton players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 8 2010, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Eh? Ian Humphreys is playing brilliantly up at Ulster. Ian Keatley be a bit raw yet but he'll be an option in a season or tow. Shag off with average Northampton players.
[/b][/quote]
Meh. I don't care about Irish rugby enough to know who's behind O'Choke and Wonderboy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 8 2010, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 8 2010, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
I like making comments that highlight my ignorance
[/b][/quote]

Fixed :D

Wallace wouldn't be a bad option to play at 10. That's what he's been most of his career. Plus, he's used to playing in that side at that level, even if not at 10.

I reckon the French have a slight advantage, purely because of their scrum and Ireland missing some important players. This of course depends on whether Lievremont decides to take this match seriously, or use it for blooding some young players again...

The French need to work hard on defence too. If they're going to blitz, they need Bastareaud to stay wider, because D'Arcy and O'Driscoll have 10x more skill and intelligence than Morrison and Evans to exploit the space that opens up behind the defence and wide of Bastareaud.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 8 2010, 08:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wallace wouldn't be a bad option to play at 10. That's what he's been most of his career. Plus, he's used to playing in that side at that level, even if not at 10.

I reckon the French have a slight advantage, purely because of their scrum and Ireland missing some important players. This of course depends on whether Lievremont decides to take this match seriously, or use it for blooding some young players again...

The French need to work hard on defence too. If they're going to blitz, they need Bastareaud to stay wider, because D'Arcy and O'Driscoll have 10x more skill and intelligence than Morrison and Evans to exploit the space that opens up behind the defence and wide of Bastareaud.[/b]

I bet you my scooter that they will not use blitz defense against the Irish. They just knew that against the Scottish center pair it would be the most efficient way of defending, and it bloody proved to be. Against D'Arcy and BOD I doubt they would take the risk.

Mas wasn't dominant against Munster, neither was Domingo the year before. Ireland got the better of Italy at scrumtime too, France will have the upper hand no doubt but it won't be the winning/losing of the game hopefully.

Jauzion and Bastareud rushing up on our centres would be a dream to be honest, you are right gringo, it won't happen.

Comparing player to player I understand better why to me Ireland are clear favorites:

15 Kearney > Poitrenaud
14 Bowe > Fall
13 BOD > Bastareaud
12 D'Arcy = Jauzion
11 Trimble < Clerc (or Rougerie)
10 O'Gara (or Sexton) > Trinh Duc
9 O'Leary > Parra
8 Heaslip = Harinordoquy
7 Wallace > Ouedraogo
6 Ferris < Dusautoir
5 POC > Papé
4 Cullen = Nallet
3 Hayes < Domingo
2 Flannery < Servat
1 Healy = Mas

Home advantage will help us and if we click we can win against any team but on paper there's no way we can win this one.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 8 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Mas wasn't dominant against Munster, neither was Domingo the year before. Ireland got the better of Italy at scrumtime too, France will have the upper hand no doubt but it won't be the winning/losing of the game hopefully.[/b]
Domingo earned his first caps after two great games against Munster last year. But you're right I don't see our scrum destroying the irish one saturday, even more with the injuries of Barcella and Milo-Chluski.

The two backlines seemed uninspired last week and the french will probably fix their defense, so I guess that discipline will play a large role in the decision. And ROG/Sexton/Humphreys are all better kickers than Parra.

Despite that I'd go for France, the home advantage should set our forwards on fire. I particularly expect huge performance by Nallet, Harinordoquy and Dusautoir. 

Kearney is out of sorts. Also Ouedraogo, is excellent player just a different type of 7 to Wally. Also O'Leary is not the best. Also i doubt Trimble will be in there, more likely Earls.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Feb 8 2010, 09:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Kearney is out of sorts. Also Ouedraogo, is excellent player just a different type of 7 to Wally. Also O'Leary is not the best. Also i doubt Trimble will be in there, more likely Earls.[/b]

Those points are fair but debatable. Kearney probably won't play **** twice in a row. I'm not a big fan of Ouedraogo, we really could use more penetrating power but he does defend well. O'Leary might not be awesome, but I still think he is superior to Parra (I like Parra, he's just way too young and inexperienced to be the number 9 for France, he needs time). Earls is good but still < to Clerc IMO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Feb 8 2010, 08:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 8 2010, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Mas wasn't dominant against Munster, neither was Domingo the year before. Ireland got the better of Italy at scrumtime too, France will have the upper hand no doubt but it won't be the winning/losing of the game hopefully.[/b]
Domingo earned his first caps after two great games against Munster last year. But you're right I don't see our scrum destroying the irish one saturday, even more with the injuries of Barcella and Milo-Chluski.

The two backlines seemed uninspired last week and the french will probably fix their defense, so I guess that discipline will play a large role in the decision. And ROG/Sexton/Humphreys are all better kickers than Parra.

Despite that I'd go for France, the home advantage should set our forwards on fire. I particularly expect huge performance by Nallet, Harinordoquy and Dusautoir. 
[/b][/quote]

Domingo was awesome against Munster, but not dominant in the scrums.

I think you can throw the form guide out the window for this one, it will be epic. I'm feeling a small Irish win though.