• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Not sure where to post guys but Telegraph reporting that Sinfield is leaving England and Paul Gustard approached to rejoin.

So frustrating having seemingly seen the defence turn a corner at the RWC.

Not sure where to post guys but Telegraph reporting that Sinfield is leaving England and Paul Gustard approached to rejoin.

So frustrating having seemingly seen the defence turn a corner at the RWC.
I hope Sinfield gets a good prem job from here to get some experience because it seems he is a very good coach but not ready for England. He has turned a corner i agree tbh and feel bad for him.

Any rumours on where he might go?

I hope Sinfield gets a good prem job from here to get some experience because it seems he is a very good coach but not ready for England. He has turned a corner i agree tbh and feel bad for him.

Any rumours on where he might go?
Back to league to coach Warrington Wolves' defence

There'll be another one along in a minute. Junior's on the books at Exeter. Just turned 18 and listed at 2.04m and 117kg. Some decent sized locks coming through at last.

As for Dan, he's a way off yet - set piece needs fixing and will have to dislodge George at club level. Langdon seems interesting and talking of younger siblings isn't his brother playing for Sale?

In the back row, who knows? Vacancy at 6 and I always think we look better with Underhill in the team although arguments for Martin at 6 as a stopper. Pearson the wattbike meister is a big ball playing 7 and will emerge soon with CCS a year or 2 behind. Barbeary seems to be fit, then there's Mercer and T Willis all itching for a chance. B Curry has probably slipped down the list a bit. Ludlam there or thereabouts. T Curry and Earl presumably start the 6N inked in.

Now if we could just find some scrummaging props….
Would live Barbeary to move back to hoover.
Seems to have ideal stature plus his ball carrying ability would add a dimension to England.

Anyone going to pick 25 for Central contracts
Personally don't want to see any of the old guard
But sb will be picking them

It's gonna be weird cause there's gonna be quite a bit of turnover in the squad, so they're gonna be giving central contracts to some players who might not play/might get dropped the next window

Would live Barbeary to move back to hoover.
Seems to have ideal stature plus his ball carrying ability would add a dimension to England.

Couldn't agree more. He looks like a front rower and plays like one. But if he either doesn't want to or can't master the set piece then it's a bit of a moot point.

Injuries really haven't helped, but even fit he's probably a fair bit down the 8 ranks now. Earl has the shirt, Mercer and Willis have strong claims to be involved and CCS is coming. Ludlam and at a push Curry can also cover there. Dombrandt might come again. Whereas at 2, Borthwick has already been touch to see if I'm available for the 6N. There's a great big Barbeary sized gap there.

Often wondered if Rodd might fancy a switch to hooker. His scrummaging's still not where he'd want, but he brings so much else. I'm sure he could work out the scrums reasonably quickly and wouldn't really have to hook anyway (GRRRR) so it would all be about the line outs.

Broken record but Barbeary has never played hooker in the prem and is 23 now, last time he played there was 14mins off the bench in the bin juice league as a teenager - it's not him moving back to hooker it'd be converting him to hooker. Like saying why don't we play Ben Earl there (or why don't we play Sinckler at 10 - he played there at age grade!)
He's excelling at 8 and has been ever since first moved there, I don't get why people want to change that
His scrummaging's still not where he'd want
Much like Ford's defence, Rodd's scrummaging issues are way overblown, and he's had some very good games there (including vs South Africa as a 20 year old)
He won a penalty at almost every scrum he was a part of this tournament - sure most of that was vs Chile, but you'd think he'd been getting battered by amateurs the way people talk about him
He's just turned 23, he's a full world cup cycle away from even the beginning of his prime, realistically

Is it not?

Well, here's what you said in June……

Not really, Rodd's a poor scrummager who has flashes of good stuff, he's nowhere near international standard (yet? he's only 22, hopefully some more nous, and bulk/strength improves his scrummaging). It's his carrying/breakdown work that have made him a fan favourite at Sale.
I've said all season McIntyre should be ahead of him

I agree with you that he's still young and should improve. Nonetheless he doesn't have the look of a potentially dominant scrummager to me and I suspect that is what Borthwick will prioritise - if such mythical beasts exist.

Just thinking outside the box a bit. Just because a player is pigeon holed in certain position at school or academy level doesn't mean that's actually where they might be best suited as a senior.

Tbf I stand by that in that's he's nowhere near international level (yet?) but he shouldn't be shifted to a new position this early in his journey just because Borthwick refuses to pick from the available options

I wonder where CCS will end up at Quins, with Dombrant in the 8 shirt and some very good options at 6 and 7 what's his role going to be.

Tbf I stand by that in that's he's nowhere near international level (yet?) but he shouldn't be shifted to a new position this early in his journey just because Borthwick refuses to pick from the available options

I agree with that, but just wondering whether he / coaches have thought about it - his skill set just jumps out at me and there's a vacancy coming. Also agree with you on Barbeary but the pair of them are 6 ft and 18 stone and good in the loose. Obvs set pieces need to be sound, but I think that kind of size / power is what Borthwick will be looking for in George's successor. I don't see Dan as a genuine starting option, and certainly not yet.

I wonder where CCS will end up at Quins, with Dombrant in the 8 shirt and some very good options at 6 and 7 what's his role going to be.

I hope they look to develop him into a genuine 6 / 8 option, which would benefit both club and country.

I still think Langdon is the one to replace George - got MOTM in horrendous conditions yesterday
Pearson starting to properly click at Saints too now (how are his darts?)

How's Dolly looking this season?
Imagine it'll take a while for him to get fully upto speed after an entire season out, but he always had a better setpiece than Ashman

Latest posts