• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Prem must be ok for defence because our coaches keep getting snapped up by the supposedly superior URC nations

It isnt even a case of copying what others are doing. There are so many ways of running a union. Ireland and SA have a robust private school system that gets the most out of players an relativley less clubs so the best are funneled up, france have a model where clubs are incentivised to develop players and second division clubs have been made profitable making the ideal enviroment for player development. England has the worst of all worlds where schools arent funded properly and lower level clubs are left to rot with a closed of 'pyramid'.

English rugby and the RFU are selfish, our system would never vote for a system like france did in revenue sharing and colecitive bargaining for the greater good of the game and long term profit. It is all about making sure no one gets your cookie and you staying in place for as long as possible.

I personally dont see anything changing at the RFU, it is to much like world rugby in that regard, job for the boys, making sure nothing changes.
As I said before, the RFU won't do anything till they're completely stuffed. They're too set in their ways.

As for the game, I personally think they need get away from the private schools as they're...well, let's say they're not doing themselves any favours and showing they're not actually that good. The system needs funding at the bottom so the top can hold strong. We all know they won't do it though.

WTF is Jones on about? These problems go back 5 years? 4 years ago we were in a World Cup final with a lot of that team in our current squad.

Also players like Eisterhuizen and Huw Jones seem to have managed to make the transition from playing in the Premiership to starring at Test level (appreciate Jones now plays in Scotland).

There must be a reason players like Maro Itoje no longer seem anywhere near the level they were a few years ago. Too many players performances have nosedived for it to be a coincidence. There is something wrong in the environment.

As I said before, the RFU won't do anything till they're completely stuffed. They're too set in their ways.

As for the game, I personally think they need get away from the private schools as they're...well, let's say they're not doing themselves any favours and showing they're not actually that good. The system needs funding at the bottom so the top can hold strong. We all know they won't do it though.
The other elephant in the room is the concussion legal fight. If they can get hit for money then funding and participation could be a real issue. It could fundamentaly change the game.

Or worse attack?

Honestly unless the teams are playing each other in a league format, this is a mostly pointless statistical comparison.

Chile v Uraguay playing 3 times with an average score of 6-3 a game, doesnt mean they are better, have a better attack or defence than NZ v South africa averaging a score of 30-20.

It's entirely dependent on opposition, league competitiveness or anything else?

That's why I included the European competiton in the analysis. All the 'best' teams from the URC, English and French leagues are playing eachother and I showed which countries' teams were still in the competition at the sharp end. In your example above, there is, as you rightly point out, no control of NZ/SA playing Chile/Uruguay. The European competition, is the best control available and somewhat validates the figures.

For the assertion that 'The Premiership is not very good' to be true, you would expect poor or no representation in the final stages of European competition. Clearly untrue, especially with the URC.

For the assertion that 'In England, defence is optional' you would expect English sides to concede more points per game than comparable leagues. Clearly untrue re the URC.

The above assertions are Jones'/Borthwick's/England's claims; there isn't the evidence to back up either of them.

With my numbers, I'm not trying to prove anything, just show that the (much loved by England) statistics do not support the hypothesis that 'the Premiership is not very good', nor the hypothesis that 'in England, defence is optional.'

Without supporting evidence, it's just a smokescreen put up to protect failing coaches at international level.

WTF is Jones on about? These problems go back 5 years? 4 years ago we were in a World Cup final with a lot of that team in our current squad.

Also players like Eisterhuizen and Huw Jones seem to have managed to make the transition from playing in the Premiership to starring at Test level (appreciate Jones now plays in Scotland).

There must be a reason players like Maro Itoje no longer seem anywhere near the level they were a few years ago. Too many players performances have nosedived for it to be a coincidence. There is something wrong in the environment.

Yeah, he's had his brain removed.
Grass roots systems and talent psipeline not working as well as it might - I agree
Is the RFU culpable of mismanagement and overseeing a general decline? For sure
Nothing except management and the system and environment we have around the EPS can explain such a dramatic decline since 4 years ago. It's wild.

We all know Eddie likes to wind people up, but I'm kinda glad he did take aim at the RFU. If he didn't, there's every chance people could just blame the manager and players and ignore the RFU.

Good article. We knew our current problems are caused by many factors, but that brings it home.

Even so, as I've said a million times before, Jones and now Borthwick haven't made the most of the playing resources available. Jones is particularly culpable for consistently refusing to drop out of form players - culturally that would have been disastrous…..sense of entitlement, frustration for younger players etc. Disheartening to read that the process to find Jones successor was a sham and that Borthwick was a shoo in, even though we really knew that.

With the benefit of hindsight that NZ semi final was probably the worst thing that could have happened to us in so many ways.

Good article. We knew our current problems are caused by many factors, but that brings it home.

Even so, as I've said a million times before, Jones and now Borthwick haven't made the most of the playing resources available. Jones is particularly culpable for consistently refusing to drop out of form players - culturally that would have been disastrous…..sense of entitlement, frustration for younger players etc. Disheartening to read that the process to find Jones successor was a sham and that Borthwick was a shoo in, even though we really knew that.

With the benefit of hindsight that NZ semi final was probably the worst thing that could have happened to us in so many ways.
Also reminds me that Dean Richards has to take a lot of blame for decimating the age grade coaches. Just look at the u20 results to see.

The other elephant in the room is the concussion legal fight. If they can get hit for money then funding and participation could be a real issue. It could fundamentaly change the game.
That's the main issue. The RFU likely are fully aware of where that will end up.

Would be interested to see the England player minutes v in the lead up to 2019?

Got to remember Saracens was breaking the cap and I think could afford to rest their players more often.

Latest posts