• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Final (final) squad before the paperwork is signed, sealed, delivered (I'm yours) tomorrow

Thought Mitchell was already officially in tbh

It's the systems as much as the tackling - defense coach isn't the reason Malins got flattened, but is the reason we're disorganised and our line is crap and we fall apart on multi phases and/or breaks/offloads
Who's doing the bollocking though? Can't see Borthwick doing it, especially as he's the one who brough KS into this environment

No way there's any coaching changes until post RWC at the earliest

If it's still a shambles post RWC I could maybe see someone stepping down (KS? RW?) - it's gotta be an unpleasant environment to be coaching in even if you do believe you can make a difference, they might want to go back to club rugby to keep learning their craft rather than be under the microscope so much
Everytime he speaks to the media I feel bad for him tbh, he seems like a nice guy, who wouldnt say boo to a goose, almost like he is being bullied by having to talk. He is almost like a step dad looking for acceptance from a child who doesnt love him.

I cant see him being authorative in any regard, especially since sinfield is just running the plan he wants run.

Anybody pining for Eddie Jones as England coach should take a look at how Carter Gordon is playing for Australia right now.
You see, I just dont get this debate at all. Not saying you are saying this, but people almost want to make it into ahh well things are worse now so we should of just accepted the dross being served up since it won more.

Eddie was terrible, Steve is equally if not more terrible, both of these can be and are true. Eddie deserved to be gone and the RFU flubbed the replacement massivley. Its pretty simple. RFU ******** their pants with the replacement doesnt mean the decision to sack eddie was wrong.

To pretend eddie was showing any signs of progress rather than regression is just false and revisionist, to pretend steve has done anything but continue to decline is deluded.

Final (final) squad before the paperwork is signed, sealed, delivered (I'm yours) tomorrow

Thought Mitchell was already officially in tbh

What a disgraceful selection really. I knew change was unlikely but I was clutching for straws after Saturdays new low.

How can Mercer be sat at home whilst we trundle on with no Number 8 to start with and then the return of a guy whose fitness and form we've gambled our tournament on. On that alone, Borthwick should be heavily questioned.

I'm also yet to see a single good reason why Sam Underhill wouldn't be a gigantic upgrade on anyone who has played 6 or 7 thus far in the summer series. Imagine Underhill, Curry, Mercer as your back row compared to what we are currently fielding.

Did Mercer come back because he'd been told he had a place in the world Cup...or was he wanting to come back anyway?

I cant see him being authorative in any regard, especially since sinfield is just running the plan he wants run.
I think you can be media inept and a control freak, they aren't mutually exclusive.

He's obviously under pressure to talk to the media because that's part of his job, it doesn't mean he's any good at it.

Did Mercer come back because he'd been told he had a place in the world Cup...or was he wanting to come back anyway?
He came back cause he wanted to play for England, would've stayed in France otherwise
Doubt he was specifically told he had a spot though he was in conversation with the England coaches so was probably pretty happy with his chances, and I think every fan, pundit, analyst, coach, newspaper, blog, twitter account, casual fan, man down the pub and his dog pretty much had him nailed on as our starting 8

Another article confirming what everyone knows.

I think he's got a point about Smith at 15. I personally don't think it will work, but we know what definitely isn't working is plan A so at this point we might as well say **** it and try something else. It can't be worse. (or is that just a lack of imagination on my part?)

I'm not going to say I was the biggest Eddie Jones fan but one of the things that I would like was when he hooked one of them if something wasn't working.
Really? When was this?

Oh, I suppose he did hook players… generally the wrong ones. And left the actual culprits on the pitch.

Consider yourselves told by Mr Genge. Safe to say his tweets gone down well.
View attachment 17500
I hate this, people are writing us off because we've been crap. Makes me think the players have fallen into the delusion that 'we are nearly there' when in reality we are miles off. Literally miles, players skills, tactics, selection, defence and attack needs an overhaul. That's not nearly there.

You see, I just dont get this debate at all. Not saying you are saying this, but people almost want to make it into ahh well things are worse now so we should of just accepted the dross being served up since it won more.

Eddie was terrible, Steve is equally if not more terrible, both of these can be and are true. Eddie deserved to be gone and the RFU flubbed the replacement massivley. Its pretty simple. RFU ******** their pants with the replacement doesnt mean the decision to sack eddie was wrong.

To pretend eddie was showing any signs of progress rather than regression is just false and revisionist, to pretend steve has done anything but continue to decline is deluded.

You're exactly right. The fault here was firstly giving Jones such a long contract after the 2019 semi-final pinnacle, then getting rid of him without having an upgrade available to bring in.

I'm not sure that anyone thought Borthwick was anything other than the less experienced EJ-continuity candidate. I can't remember anyone on here being pleased that he was appointed; the best he got was 'oh well, we have reservations but maybe the RFU know something we don't.'

If they couldn't find anyone better, I have no idea what possessed the RFU to make the (extremely expensive) change. Even dead cats bounce, but there's been absolutely nothing from this England set-up.

France playing a different sport to us at the moment....as are many others

We look like the tortoise v the hare...

I hate this, people are writing us off because we've been crap. Makes me think the players have fallen into the delusion that 'we are nearly there' when in reality we are miles off. Literally miles, players skills, tactics, selection, defence and attack needs an overhaul. That's not nearly there.
Why? You do it to Scotland every 6N

Ford the one to lead the rebellion?

It's very worrying if England are playing how they are training because there is even less hope that something might 'click'. Very different answer to last week when Ford said England's attack will come good, he promises. Also if that's the case the what are Borthwick and co doing to solve it other than saying they are a tight knit group.

Ford the one to lead the rebellion?

It's very worrying if England are playing how they are training because there is even less hope that something might 'click'. Very different answer to last week when Ford said England's attack will come good, he promises. Also if that's the case the what are Borthwick and co doing to solve it other than saying they are a tight knit group.

That is interesting from Ford- that's the first time we're hearing a bit of brutal honesty about things behind the scenes and the first person to lift the lid in terms of suggesting this "tight group" we hear from SB and KS actually may be a lot further from clicking than is suggested. By which I mean they can't even get it right in training, let alone the games.

This is a big narrative change from what we've been hearing. I hope Ford and more people blow the lid on this and call for a reset.

There is nothing to lose.