• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I think Racing were sniffing around him recently
They retracted their offer pretty late in the negotiations if rumours are to be believed (I'm guessing he wanted to play in the world cup and they weren't keen on him missing three months of the season) but I've no doubt he could've gone somewhere

They retracted their offer pretty late in the negotiations if rumours are to be believed (I'm guessing he wanted to play in the world cup and they weren't keen on him missing three months of the season) but I've no doubt he could've gone somewhere
I was under the impression that quins beat it and they wouldn't match tbh

It will he interesting to see Evans and Smith at the same club. Green is a fine player but an Evans-Smith 10-15 axis probably is better than anything else they can offer right now.

Edit: as a disclosure, I'm not exactly advocating for Smith at 15. But it will be interesting to see what happens.

A few so we thoughts this morning after that steaming pile of turd yesterday.

Scrum Half
Although Mitchell did wizz the ball away, I must say that Fiji didn't threaten the breakdown in parts like other teams will. So while I think his pace was so much better than anything we have seen to date it's not just all him.

Which brings me on to the next two points.

Breakdown/ shape
When players make breaks our forwards don't go with them to support them. It's almost like they don't see it as their job or they've already decided the ball will be turned over. So many times we had no one even looking to help trh tackled player. Very odd but screams more about the system/ shape of the team.

Which goes nicely onto shape
In the first half we ran some great shapes, causing havoc and making ground. We broke tackles and threatened the line. Then we give away one penalty and all of a sudden it stops.

We then go back to pointless kicking and one out runners and conceded tries. I have a sinking suspicion that SB will be saying that because we have that penalty away it proves the running rugby doesn't work.

Trust

This is the big one for me, it's crazy with the amount of time they've all had in camp together but it looks like the players don't trust each other to do their jobs. So many times they look like a team that hates each other, even lions and ba ba teams don't look this bad with less time together.

Way forward

I don't see a players revolt, we seem to have weak minded players who won't want to risk offending the nice bloke SB who will be around for a long time.

But surely they have to see that when they get into a nice shape (like every team should get into a shape) they can cause damage.

But who is changing tactics to go back to turgid ball? Is that the players, or coaches?

Either way I'm sure the RFU will have lost out on loads of World Cup merchandise purchases today and probably now for the WC. I also bet ticket sales for real fans will be down for the 6 nations (if they even care).

The only hope I have is that we scrape through the group...anything after that Is a bonus

Post WC the whole coaching set up is evaluated...and actions taken..(though I have little faith in the crusty nosed RFU leaders)

An evaluation of the prem, the a league, the championship also take place. Everything needs to be geared to building internatonal battle ready young players...who can continue to improve.

And all the old guard are moved on. Start from scratch. A complete rebuild.

When players make breaks our forwards don't go with them to support them. It's almost like they don't see it as their job or they've already decided the ball will be turned over. So many times we had no one even looking to help trh tackled player. Very odd but screams more about the system/ shape of the team.
I was listening to David Campese on a podcast the other day, he made some interesting points(picked out of the 90% of him talking about how brilliant he was) that a lot of modern players are coached to play rugby to a script. So when a player makes a break, the forwards closest to support are too busy thinking about what phase it is/where they should be for the next phase as opposed to reacting to what's in front of them.

Consider yourselves told by Mr Genge. Safe to say his tweets gone down well.
Screenshot_20230827_152654_Samsung Internet.jpg

Will They stick with Sinfield? Surely its too late to change things now. He must be getting a grilling about the tackling

It's the systems as much as the tackling - defense coach isn't the reason Malins got flattened, but is the reason we're disorganised and our line is crap and we fall apart on multi phases and/or breaks/offloads
Who's doing the bollocking though? Can't see Borthwick doing it, especially as he's the one who brough KS into this environment

No way there's any coaching changes until post RWC at the earliest

If it's still a shambles post RWC I could maybe see someone stepping down (KS? RW?) - it's gotta be an unpleasant environment to be coaching in even if you do believe you can make a difference, they might want to go back to club rugby to keep learning their craft rather than be under the microscope so much

Will They stick with Sinfield? Surely its too late to change things now. He must be getting a grilling about the tackling
That ship has sailed. It would also cast further doubt on Borthwick as he chose his staff as far as i know.

We are better off just seeing what shakes out after the WC. If Ireland or France etc underperform the roundabout of coaches could be interesting. My main concern is we walk into a semi-final and regardless of a result the RFU spin it as 'see we know best'.

Equally some how we put in two performances nobody saw coming and we are in the final.

Latest posts