• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

If we had a full back who's better to replace him you could argue it's an idea. (i don't think there is) It's not like the number 8 position where you can make a strong arguement for better players not being picked.

I'm more curious to know what's changed opinion on Steward. He's gone from in the space of a season being the one England player who might get in a world XV to not being good enough. I can't see any real change in his game other than the whole team is performing poorly. It's pretty hard to soar like an eagle surrounded by turkeys.
My favorite saying....im a feckin Eagle surounded by Turkey's man!

But i agree...i dont udnerstand the negativity.

I've not seen anyone say Steward should move to 12?

I don't think Steward isn't good enough, just think he needs to be in the right kind of backline as his pace is an issue at international level - Watson being back will help that a lot
Ive seen quite alot.

I agree...put the right backline and give him some pace support for defence and its fine.

So does everyone now think Steward needs to move to 12?

Im curious why?
He is not quick enough for FB, he played 10/12 in age groups, so has understanding of position.

The reason maybe, because he has most of the key attributes of a 12, big, good kick and reasonable hands.

The main reason is that Jordie Barrett has been relative success for ABs.

He's had some speed issues exposed when having to turn quickly, but tbh for me it's a few people trying to find a magic solution when there isn't one. We had years of not have a good fullback in the air and then as soon as we get one people focus on the other things he's not as good as. For some reason we seem to want players to do everything. The whole point of building a team is to compensate for other players weaknesses, but instead we seem to criticise a player if he can't do everything.
Think success of Jordie B has made people think Steward could make the same move.

He is not quick enough for FB, he played 10/12 in age groups, so has understanding of position.

The reason maybe, because he has most of the key attributes of a 12, big, good kick and reasonable hands.

But Steward's biggest attribute is his ability under the high ball so if you play him at inside centre you have just made his biggest attribute redundant.

But Steward's biggest attribute is his ability under the high ball so if you play him at inside centre you have just made his biggest attribute redundant.
True, so he probably shouldnt be in team, as the loss of this skill can be mitigated by others, like Watson, Daly, and Arundell

He's not lost any pace over the last two seasons. So i don't see how his lack of pace has taken him from one of the best full backs in the world, to not being good enough at full back.

Good in the air, ability to kick and chase, defence positioning are probably more key attributes for a full back before out and out gas. I'm struggling to think of any current regular full international full back who you would say has serious wheels other than Barrett.

Last edited:
Daly and Arundell would be huge step downs from Steward under the high ball, like genuine night vs day

Though I do think Watson should be starting at 15 this weekend - we need to get our second choice at least a few minutes there, I can't remember the last time someone started at 15 for England and it wasn't Steward

Edit: March 2022 vs France, Furbank at 15 and Steward on the wing (Steward started all other games that 6N at 15, though)

Breaks his silence?
I didn't know he had any silence to break.
Probably broke wind too.

I agree with most people in that the Farrell thing is a travesty but ffs this is getting ridiculous. Players have got away with as bad or worse and it hasn't generated this level of vitriol. There is also a massive "holier than thou" attitude being displayed as if all these other nations haven't all had players recently who were as big thugs as Farrell, whinged as much etc etc.

It's when those with an axe to grind against England get emboldened in the odd case where there is actually justification that England or an English player has got away with something. For all those saying this is a serious kick in the nads against player welfare, where were you all when North was repeatedly getting knocked out? That was every bit as bad and went ignored by WR. A little bit of whinging but generally forgotten after a day or 2.

Where has he played 10/12?

He's had some speed issues exposed when having to turn quickly, but tbh for me it's a few people trying to find a magic solution when there isn't one. We had years of not have a good fullback in the air and then as soon as we get one people focus on the other things he's not as good as. For some reason we seem to want players to do everything. The whole point of building a team is to compensate for other players weaknesses, but instead we seem to criticise a player if he can't do everything.
I would agree if he did anything else well, high ball great, but he is an attack killer, no pace, no real vision. He isnt a 12, at all, Jodie could pass etc, Steward is just average at best at everything that isnt his stand out skillset. He was hyped early because he was young with a world class skill, he hasnt really developed any other strings to his bow to warrant continued hype.

Saying that, with how borthwick wants to play there isnt a much better option, how he screwed him with his wing choices is beyond me. zero pace anywhere.

Any speculation on who would/should get called up if Farrell is banned?
I think Chris Jones at the BBC was saying as he's submitted the squad he can't drop him and replace him as it's a ban. He'd have to go and serve his ban. If true it's a massive mistake in going early in naming the squad. Doesn't seem right though.

I agree with most people in that the Farrell thing is a travesty but ffs this is getting ridiculous. Players have got away with as bad or worse and it hasn't generated this level of vitriol. There is also a massive "holier than thou" attitude being displayed as if all these other nations haven't all had players recently who were as big thugs as Farrell, whinged as much etc etc.

It's when those with an axe to grind against England get emboldened in the odd case where there is actually justification that England or an English player has got away with something. For all those saying this is a serious kick in the nads against player welfare, where were you all when North was repeatedly getting knocked out? That was every bit as bad and went ignored by WR. A little bit of whinging but generally forgotten after a day or 2.
To be fair, it's the rescinding of the red card, just ahead of the RWC, through a fancy-pants KC that's putting backs up.

Plenty complain about North being left on the pitch, plenty complain about high tackles from plenty of players. Its the getting away with it, from such a high profile player with a wiff of whitewashing / corruption that's really doing it IMO - the chance for some England bashing is just par for the course.

I think Chris Jones at the BBC was saying as he's submitted the squad he can't drop him and replace him as it's a ban. He'd have to go and serve his ban. If true it's a massive mistake in going early in naming the squad. Doesn't seem right though.
Has he actually submitted to WR? Or "just" announced to the world?

Earlier in the week it was reported he would bring Fin Smith in.
If he can't replace him it's a moot point !

To be fair, it's the rescinding of the red card, just ahead of the RWC, through a fancy-pants KC that's putting backs up.

Plenty complain about North being left on the pitch, plenty complain about high tackles from plenty of players. Its the getting away with it, from such a high profile player with a wiff of whitewashing / corruption that's really doing it IMO - the chance for some England bashing is just par for the course.

Has he actually submitted to WR? Or "just" announced to the world?
I don't deny something stinks with the Farrell decision but it's getting to hysteria when things like his own dad defending him rather than throwing him to the hounds get people foaming.

Latest posts