• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

I really hope that they expected a ban so were planning on using Ford, but got a feeling we might see Ford/Farrell 10/12, then maybe Ford on his own vs Fiji, so they've had a look at all the 10s in various combos
Yeah i agree...i hope thats the case. i just prefer Ford for my 10..and have Manu or Lawrence in there aswell.

Maybe even try
10 Ford
12 Manu
13 Marchant

or
10 Ford
12 Manu
13 Lawrence
With Daly at 11 for the 2nd playmaker.

Every coach who's worked with Farrell talks about how great he is, yet it seems we never see it in an England shirt. Ford comes on and actually starts playing tactically and moving wales around the field for a change.

Is it OF trusting the systems too much and not knowing when to change things up or OF not trusting the systems and not playing to the plan?

Every coach who's worked with Farrell talks about how great he is, yet it seems we never see it in an England shirt. Ford comes on and actually starts playing tactically and moving wales around the field for a change.

Is it OF trusting the systems too much and not knowing when to change things up or OF not trusting the systems and not playing to the plan?
There is a lack of leaders in the England team, who Farrell trusts.
At Sarries, he seems to trust a few key lieutenants who will 'coach' him during games.
I reckon this may be a reason Slade was dropped, he might have challenged Farrell.
Ford is probably the one back that Farrell will listen to, but they play in same position.

Is it a case of trusting the system, or not having the vision to see anything else so sticking to the system?

As others have pointed out, at Saracens he has others around him that clearly have the vision to see opportunity and make an appropriate call.

Maybe he doesn't have that himself and doesn't trust anyone else in the England setup to dictate that to him?

At Sarries, he seems to trust a few key lieutenants who will 'coach' him during games.
I reckon this may be a reason Slade was dropped, he might have challenged Farrell.
Ford is probably the one back that Farrell will listen to, but they play in same position.
I wonder if Daly is one who can from the wing?

Just settling in for the Lionesses and listening about the manager.
All the pundits saying she trusts her players to come good. They have a structure but a freedom within the structure.
Same with Pep at City, basic structure, but with freedom. Bazball same.

Successful teams have coaches that trust their players to work things out.

All the pundits saying she trusts her players to come good. They have a structure but a freedom within the structure.

Complete opposite of England rugby team who look like they have no idea what to do if someone doesn't stick to the script.

Complete opposite of England rugby team who look like they have no idea what to do if someone doesn't stick to the script.
Its literally where the Cricket team were 18 months ago before they were all given license to play their natural game.

Its literally where the Cricket team were 18 months ago before they were all given license to play their natural game.
Exactly my point.
The best coaches build a basic structure that is easy to follow, but allow the players to make decisions on the pitch depending on situation.

My big issue with the ruling is that for me the change in direction and height is minimal. Tackling like that Farrell would very likely still have caught him high even without George's interference. The argument is that the players have a split second to tackle and change and therefore Farrell could not have adjusted. Issue is, as highlighted in the guardian article, if that is enough to justify only a yellow, then what else would be? The player swerving slightly to the side? A slight bend in the knees before impact? If George's interference is enough then you can start to find almost any mitigation for tackles like that as the defender is always moving.

For me it's quite simple. Farrell is making an illegal tackle. He's not bent at the hips, so regardless of what George does, Farrell was always going to be high. This nitpicking over slight changes in movement means that players will take more risks to tackle like Farrell does. It's a slippery slope and a bad precedent.

Is it a case of trusting the system, or not having the vision to see anything else so sticking to the system?

As others have pointed out, at Saracens he has others around him that clearly have the vision to see opportunity and make an appropriate call.

Maybe he doesn't have that himself and doesn't trust anyone else in the England setup to dictate that to him?

All of the above.

But the big thing may well be the size of step up from club to country. Less time, less space and by definition less familiarity with team mates. Maybe he just struggles with that, especially as he's got a bit older and slower.

My big issue with the ruling is that for me the change in direction and height is minimal. Tackling like that Farrell would very likely still have caught him high even without George's interference. The argument is that the players have a split second to tackle and change and therefore Farrell could not have adjusted. Issue is, as highlighted in the guardian article, if that is enough to justify only a yellow, then what else would be? The player swerving slightly to the side? A slight bend in the knees before impact? If George's interference is enough then you can start to find almost any mitigation for tackles like that as the defender is always moving.

For me it's quite simple. Farrell is making an illegal tackle. He's not bent at the hips, so regardless of what George does, Farrell was always going to be high. This nitpicking over slight changes in movement means that players will take more risks to tackle like Farrell does. It's a slippery slope and a bad precedent.
Agreed. No bend and no attempt to wrap.

It's a fast-moving game and players are always going to get it wrong; the introduction of a red card for a 'no bend no wrap' shot to the head won't eradicate it altogether, but this is no reason not to impose a hefty and increasing ban for players who transgress (repeatedly, with no learning taking place... sigh)

Absolutely.

Where we definitely have it wrong is having one player as captain, goal kicker and chief playmaker. That's simply too much for one plate.

Away from 10, who else can goal kick? Daly a bit, Slade a bit if he was there. But no-one really to take over if Farrell's having one of his increasingly frequent bad days.

Who else could captain? Few, but Lawes is the obvious choice and probably should have got the gig.

Other playmakers? Well we've done that to death. I still won't be surprised to see Ford - Faz, especially when Manu picks up his inevitable injury.

Slade and Farrell shared a room at the training camp so I imagine they do have at least good working relationship.

Considering the usual state of the BBC's comment section that's more likely to mean dismissing the red card was the right thing to do
Actually on the whole no. I think someone has been relaying posts from here, states they come from a forum and they look familiar

Last edited:

Latest posts