• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Squad

Utter madness, our only dedicated no.8 has been in poor form and injured! Why do England consistently do this stupid ****? Pick players in their damn positions

I guess if he gets injured it's easy enough for a injury call up since it's in france

Prob biggest plus to it being in France over something like Japan, SA or Aus

Any injuries can be replaced at a moments notice

Pretty funny that if you were to go back three months and ask fans who were the certainties for the squad everyone would say Mitchell, Slade, Mercer, probably Kelly, Tom Willis

I think they're looking at Ludlum for that spot.

6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Ludlum
I hope you're right, but surely Borthwick would've played him there at some point if that were the case?

Pretty funny that if you were to go back three months and ask fans who were the certainties for the squad everyone would say Mitchell, Slade, Mercer, probably Kelly, Tom Willis

I hope you're right, but surely Borthwick would've played him there at some point if that were the case?
Ah they probably have in training. I think Dombrandt was in his final trial and failed miserably and Tom Willis is not quite ready for this level yet....hopefully Saracens can fix that.

Also, on hooker - why has Curtis Langdon not had a look in over the summer?
That's mad, thinking about it

Your faith in the coaching setup is admirable :p
I know...im giving him the benefit of the doubt for this WC...i probably shouldnt.

I just hope his lack of time and exposure to the players and how they cope with HIS tactics rather than Jones is causing a problem...which post WC will be addressed for the 6n.

I was disappointed with Saturday but i still hope we will see a better drilled side by the time the WC starts. We NEED to see it thats for sure.

So we are going to look at something like this (is my guess):

1 Genge
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Itoje
5 Chessum
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Billy
9 Youngs
10 Farrell
11 Daly
12 Manu
13 Lawrence
14 Watson
15 Steward

16 Marler
17 Walker?
18 Sinckler
19 Ribbans
20 Ludlum
21 Care
22 Smith
23 Arendell

Rodd and Cole clear third choices at prop.
I assume Theo Dan is behind Walker but you never know, guess we will see if Theo gets more chances in the warm up games and if Walker gathers some form when he's fit.

I guess we will use the care, smith Arendell subs as an impact together. Might be wrong on that but thats my guess. I see Sinckler being used as a bench option and Stuart to start to offer that more solid scrumming.

I'm guessing Ford is there if Farrell doesn't play and same with JVP.

That's my guess anyhow.

1 Genge
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Itoje
5 Chessum
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Billy
9 Youngs
10 Farrell
11 Daly
12 Manu
13 Lawrence
14 Watson
15 Steward

16 Marler
17 Walker?
18 Sinckler
19 Ribbans
20 Ludlum
21 Care
22 Smith
23 Arendell

I assume Theo Dan is behind Walker but you never know, guess we will see if Theo gets more chances in the warm up games and if Walker gathers some form when he's fit.

I guess we will use the care, smith Arendell subs as an impact together. Might be wrong on that but thats my guess. I see Sinckler being used as a bench option and Stuart to start to offer that more solid scrumming.

That's my guess anyhow.
Rugby analysis ignored because you screwed up the front row subs numbering.

1 Genge
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Itoje
5 Chessum
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Billy
9 Youngs
10 Farrell
11 Daly
12 Manu
13 Lawrence
14 Watson
15 Steward

16 Marler
17 Walker?
18 Sinckler
19 Ribbans
20 Ludlum
21 Care
22 Smith
23 Arendell

That's my guess anyhow.
Ludlum at 8...

I wonder if we see this at the weekend..

6 Lawes
7 J.WIllis
8 Ludlum

Has anyone got this squad sorted by positions?

Either way im shocked at Slades ommission tbh, he is a very solid play with a great skillset. And good in defence which this team needs but also very experience in a key position where Lawrence is just back from injury.

Surprised Earl is in i mean he just doesnt really fit anywhere in this team(abit like SSimmonds) and 8....Billy...hmmm.

1 Genge
2 George
3 Stuart
4 Itoje
5 Chessum
6 Lawes
7 Curry
8 Billy
9 Youngs
10 Farrell
11 Daly
12 Manu
13 Lawrence
14 Watson
15 Steward

16 Marler
17 Walker?
18 Sinckler
19 Ribbans
20 Ludlum
21 Care
22 Smith
23 Arendell

That's my guess anyhow.
If J Willis doesn't start, I'm already over Borthwick haha.

In all seriousness though... the squad feels shaky as hell.. Walker/Billy/Lawes/Chessum/Watson/Lawrence/Manu have all had big injuries/are injury prone it feels like.

Really don't think we have seen the best of Youngs/Watson/Sinckler in a while.

I also worry about our fitness, Wales looked fitter and more on it than we did. We look lethargic and uninspired and we kept pushing the box kick tactic which clearly wasn't working.

There's time for us to come together, the squad to get fitter and us to figure out tactics but we are lucky that Japan have looked rusty but Samoa looked better than expected and Argentina will be a real challenge.

I dunno its not looking positive for me at the moment.

Has anyone got this squad sorted by positions?
Going off their regular position for their clubs (and in alphabetical order, not ranked)

1. Genge, Marler, Rodd
2. Dan, George, Walker
3. Cole, Sinckler, Stuart
4. Itoje, Martin
5. Chessum, Ribbans
6. Curry, Lawes
7. Earl, Ludlam, Willis
8. Vunipola
9. Care, van Poortvliet, Youngs
10. Farrell, Ford, Smith
12. Tuilagi
13. Daly, Lawrence, Marchant
14. Malins, Watson
15. Arundell, Steward

Obv players play multiple, i.e. Ludlam unlikely to start at 7 for England

Daly has played for England at 11 loads...thats where i'd play him.

11 Daly
14 Watson

Daly has played for England at 11 loads...thats where i'd play him.
Yeah, I imagine that's where he's most likely to be used, but that's very depressing considering how iffy his defence has been on the wing in the past - plus he's barely played wing in years (once this season, four times last, his last England start on the wing was 2020)

Edit: Looking at it more, other than 2 starts on the wing in the 2020 Six Nations you've got to go back to the 17/18 season for his last run of starts at 11 for England, he has played almost exclusively at 15 since leaving Wasps

Yeah, I imagine that's where he's most likely to be used, but that's very depressing considering how iffy his defence has been on the wing in the past - plus he's barely played wing in years (once this season, four times last, his last England start on the wing was 2020)

Edit: Looking at it more, other than 2 starts on the wing in the 2020 Six Nations you've got to go back to the 17/18 season for his last run of starts at 11 for England, he has played almost exclusively at 15 since leaving Wasps
The only glimmer of hope is that before his injury he on fire at Saracens and 11 is where he's produced his best rugby for England whilst making the Lions XV on merit at 11 albeit 6-7 years ago…

Yeah, we can only hope his form before injury is still there and he can be the playmaking winger that they clearly want Malins to be but simply isnt. The difference is Daly has the pace. Malins looks like a floundering salmon sometimes.

IF Daly can replicate the wing form from years ago i have no issues with him there. But thats a BIG if.....

Latest posts